Newbie pinkeye question

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
First time cattle owner. 4 black angus feeders around 800 lbs. one was acting strange, not keeping up with the herd. When I saw it closer its eye was white. After looking online I concluded its pinkeye. I also looked online for treatments. The ones I found include gluing an eye patch on, or an injection into the eye, or an intramuscular injection. To be honest I don't feel to comfortable with any of these. The injection into eye isn't happening with me. I also don't have a small space to trap the cow to do a muscle injection or put on glue. The cows won't come near me. I was hoping someone knows of a food option or some other way to treat the cow.

kenny thomas":2xhijuvt said:
Dart gun with Draxin.

That's what I treat with, and I have facilities to handle them. May not be cost effective for a few head though. I figure a white eye cost me $100. Don't take many of them to pay for a vet gun.

i wouldn't go the pennicilian /dexamethazone route unless the vet does it and shows you how.Too many things to go wrong for somebody learning.Maybe you can borrow a dart gun?

Ok so what you are saying is use a tranquilizer gun and shoot them with draxxin. I'm guessing in the neck? What would be the dosage? The cow is probably 700 lbs. should I do all 4 as they will all likely get pinkeye? Or wait until they have it?

Nicklausjames":3t42jpmr said:
First time cattle owner. 4 black angus feeders around 800 lbs. one was acting strange, not keeping up with the herd. When I saw it closer its eye was white. After looking online I concluded its pinkeye. I also looked online for treatments. The ones I found include gluing an eye patch on, or an injection into the eye, or an intramuscular injection. To be honest I don't feel to comfortable with any of these. The injection into eye isn't happening with me. I also don't have a small space to trap the cow to do a muscle injection or put on glue. The cows won't come near me. I was hoping someone knows of a food option or some other way to treat the cow.

3 CC penicillin in the eye lid, not the eye, is the method that works for me. Then LA200 per the direction. That is the only thing I use LA200 for.

Get yourself a squeeze chute to take care of your cows with. In the meantime you can rig a medina hinge and snub the cow with a rope. If you do not know what a medina hinge gate is, here's a link from one of our patrons on this forum. http://www.grangercattleco.com/medinahinge.html

I had a bull that i concluded it was pinkeye...took to the vet and found it was something stuck in his eye. All the treatment in the world would not have cleared that up. If you can, its best to take to the vet...

When I first started out years ago, I wanted to take care of everything g myself. Cowgirl8 is on track tho. If you don't have a chute and or a way to confine it so you can look at the eye, it's better to be a little cautious and get it to your vet. Could be a grass stem, thorn or who knows. Either way Vet will probably treat x2. Good luck.

Nicklausjames":3m2l0dhn said:
also any advice on what tranquilizer to use and where to get it?

You might be confused! The dart gun will deliver the Draxxin to treat the pinkeye in one step. Tranquilizer Not Needed.

Nicklausjames":1d2jiqoy said:
Ok so what you are saying is use a tranquilizer gun and shoot them with draxxin. I'm guessing in the neck? What would be the dosage? The cow is probably 700 lbs. should I do all 4 as they will all likely get pinkeye? Or wait until they have it?

Follow instructions for use to obtain proper dose. Do not treat cows that do not show symptoms of pinkeye. It is not appropriate practice to use an antibiotic as a preventative in this circumstance. For a preventative, chlortetracycline (CTC) can be used in mineral or feed.

Latest posts