Newbie breed question.

Help Support CattleToday:

GANGGREEN

Reaction score
OK, I'm getting close to getting my first beef after years of dreaming about it. Now it's time to decide what I want to go with. I have 6 acres of fertile ground, get plenty of rain and just put in a new pasture (perennial rye, red clover and orchard grass). I plan to rotate between two paddocks (may turn it into a 4 paddock system if I see the need but will likely start with two). I live in northern Pennsylvania where it's warm in the summer and cold in the winter. Initially, my only intention is to have some fun and to raise some beef for the family. Once I get some experience and possibly put in some new pastures, I might consider a small commercial operation of some sort.

I'm not independantly wealthy but efficiency and quick weight gain isn't that important to me, I'm more interested in having animals that will be easy enough to raise and that will provide excellent quality beef. Initially, my idea is to get weaned calves this summer or fall and keep them over the winter to butcher next spring or fall. The other option would be to take on two calves this year and two more next spring so that I'd always be able to butcher two per year and keep the other two as a rotation. I'll keep one of them for my own family and sell the other to a friend or family member to pay for feed.

Most of the beef guys in this area are raising Hereford, Angus or Hereford/Angus cross though there are some Charlais, Simmentals and Limousin around I think. I hope nobody will think that I'm crazy but I'm actually considering raising Jerseys because I think that they may be easier on the pasture if I stick with the same number of animals and because I can get Jersey bull calves for practically nothing. I've heard that they provide delicious and tender beef.

I'm also somewhat interested in Dexters, Devon or Scottish Highland cattle mostly because I think they look neat but I think they might be harder to get around here and know that they'd cost more. I also think it would be neat to run a few more head and could probably do it on the 6 acres of pasture if I could find some Dexter calves locally for a price I was willing to pay.

Any advice or opinions would certainly be appreciated. I'm just running a hobby operation here but I really would like to learn and some day do it on a larger scale. Thanks in advance.

GG

GANGGREEN, Welcome. As long as your in it to have fun, have fun.

Some breeds do better than others, if you choose to have the hobby type cattle go for it. The Hereford Angus cross or Charolais and other similar breeds will be of more value.

~

Get nice calm animals so you won't have a negative experience.

Purchase your first beef animlas from a 4-Her or FFA member.
These kids halter train their animals and spend considerable time handling their cattle. Makes it easier for you to work with them. That adds value, AND makes your life easier.

Easy calm breeds to work with AND make great beef to eat
( from my personal experience ):

Hereford
Traditional Simmental
Red Angus
and any combination of the above raised by a calm person.

Just a note about any breeds with large horns ( Scottish Highlands, Longhorns etc )

You will need special hay feeders, catch chutes, etc to accomodate that extreme horn span. It adds up to extra $$$$

If you are planning on buying weanlings in the fall--go to all the County Fairs and meet the beef cattle exhibitors.
Again, I encourage you to chat with and purchase from 4H and FFA members. They usually auction their animals off after the shows.

Most of all, pick a breed that you will enjoy looking at, working with and advocating for. Ultimately, your customers will tell you how good your choices are.

Look forward to hearing about your purchases.

Thanks for the advice folks, I appreciate it. CowCop, I have to admit that I had never even considered the need for special equipment with the horned cattle, good call. I'm also curious why you mention Red Angus, is there any difference between the red and black, other than the preference of some customers and markets for black cattle?

GANGGREEN":3izl5rib said:
Thanks for the advice folks, I appreciate it. CowCop, I have to admit that I had never even considered the need for special equipment with the horned cattle, good call. I'm also curious why you mention Red Angus, is there any difference between the red and black, other than the preference of some customers and markets for black cattle?

Its just my personal experience, really.
Half our herd is black angus right now. I love those black angus moms. However.....
The red angus just seem even calmer and I have never experienced the reds jumping a fence. Ever.
And its ALWAYS a yearling with wings for hooves.....

Also... it looks like the market is swinging towards red here.
Our spring feeder sale was 2 weeks ago and the reds sold higher.
Thats good news for us since we used a Reg Hereford bull on our herd last year and 99% of the calves born this year are RED.

CowCop":ybgxeomj said:
GANGGREEN":ybgxeomj said:

Its just my personal experience, really.
Half our herd is black angus right now. I love those black angus moms. However.....
The red angus just seem even calmer and I have never experienced the reds jumping a fence. Ever.
And its ALWAYS a yearling with wings for hooves.....

Also... it looks like the market is swinging towards red here.
Our spring feeder sale was 2 weeks ago and the reds sold higher.
Thats good news for us since we used a Reg Hereford bull on our herd last year and 99% of the calves born this year are RED.

Being new myself.... what are spring feeders?

If you are still thinking about Dexter cattle, here's a link to the breed association:

http://www.dextercattle.org/

Click on 'members' and then 'members with websites' for farms listed in PA. They are more expensive for heifer calves, but you could probably pick up a couple of bull/steer calves pretty cheap. One advantage to Dexters is that you get rich flavored beef and one finished steer is the perfect size for a family, (without having to give away or sell extra because you can't fit it in your big freezer).

Most have horns, (though some folks are raising polled Dexters), but dehorning when they are young isn't difficult.

If you are only buying a few cattle every year, why not try a few different breeds before you decide? I really like the Dexters because they are easy on fencing and easy to handle, but I had a few other breeds before settling on them. Each has their own personality and you just have to see which one 'fits' with you and your family.

BTW, you have a working chute and at least one holding pen, right? You'll need to vaccinate those calves pretty quick after you bring them home...

No surprise to anyone - I would recommend Murray Grey.
For photos, see the assoc website at:
http://www.murraygrey.org

For more photos, :
http://www.murraygrey.com

They are, as a breed, moderate sized, calve easily,
good milkers, docile, and "beefy" in shape. Here's a
two month old bull calf that is showing promise:

DB__6.jpg

Little Cow, thanks for the advice, I've been on a couple of the Dexter boards. I'll have a small corral built but don't have any equipment for actually immobilizing the critters, I figured I could just have the vet use their equipment. Like I said, I'm brand new at this and trying to learn what's essential and what I can live without.

OK Jeanne, I've seen a couple of the threads about the Murray Greys and I love the way they look and it sounds like it would be a nice fit for someone in my situation but, once again, I think that they'd be a good bit harder for me to find and likely more expensive to purchase, right?

GANGGREEN":1eevpdpu said:
I'll have a small corral built but don't have any equipment for actually immobilizing the critters, I figured I could just have the vet use their equipment.

Where abouts are you at in NC Pa? I'm in Coudersport and have my cows in Roulette. I'll tell you up front that no vets that I know of around here have anything to restrain cattle with. If ya can't catch, restrain them yourselves the vets will be of no help. I use the automatic headlocks to hold my cows when I vaccinate or breed. Not as good as a chute but cheaper and better than trying to chase 'em down and rope 'em.

Scott

In your part of the country Shorthorns would work well. They are normally gentle and work well in winter.

actually im going to have to go against the dexter idea. i have found dexters to be quite hard to work with. because they are small they have a lot of issues with it hahaha.

personally, i recomend south devons. im not sure what they are like in the USA but they are beautiful placid things here. but they are big. also, maine anjous here are normally quite placid but i doubt they would sell as well as a more conventional breed.

are you interested more in playing around handling or selling for beef?

aussie, I'm mostly interested in playing around and getting my feet wet so I'm not overly concerned about having the perfect commercial breed. Are South Devons the same as Devonshire cattle? I think those are the pretty, large, red, usually horned cattle that were seen on the movie The Village, right? If so, we have a woman here in the county that raises them and I like their looks very much. From what I hear, I kind of doubt that she'd part with any to end up on my plate but I might look into it.

similar, but a south devon is a lighter colour, like a gelbvieh or a limousin. but like you say, they are big. they are plain looking animals but i've found them to be wonderful to work with. they have a very dopey charm. they are a horned breed but most people are breeding them polled now. for a beginner i highly recommend polls.

to see who has them in your area, just contact the breed association in your state. im from australia so i can't really advise where to find any.

Latest posts