New User Turbotax

Help Support CattleToday:

Jolinsmith

Reaction score
I'm a new Turbotax user with a couple of questions. How do I enter cattle and equipment that are already being depreciated and where to I report the death of one of my brood cows?

When I started with TT, I had the same problem with "picking up in mid-depreciation" I think I had to do some manual entering of prior depreciation etc. to get going the first time. If the cow that died was a depreciable asset, you can enter her, then it will ask if you disposed of the asset in 2004, then you enter when and if you got anything for her. If she's one you raised, there's no need to report it unless you are claiming a casualty loss due to lightening or hit by a car etc.

I've used it since 98, and it sure makes life easier at tax time.

Thanks for the info jk. I think I've figured out what to do now. The only problem..my tax preparer last year didn't give me the depreciation worksheets so I have no idea what he did...guess I'll have to see if he has copies. And you're right, I believe it will be much easier in the future.

We used TurboTax 2003 last year and purchased TurboTax 2004 for this year's taxes. I can't get it installed! I had no trouble at all with the 2003 version. I have Windows XP which is apparently a problem with the new version. I've tried to go through TurboTax' troubleshooting pages but have gotten no results from any of their suggestions and no response to my email to them. I've closed all open programs, anti-virus, firewall, etc.; tried installing in safe mode; still get the same messages: Close all open programs, empty temporary folder. One of my sons, the family's go-to computer geek guy, spent about 3 hours on it and said "I don't know what to tell you." Anyone else out there have or had that problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks.

fit2btied":1jv12lai said:
We used TurboTax 2003 last year and purchased TurboTax 2004 for this year's taxes. I can't get it installed! I had no trouble at all with the 2003 version. I have Windows XP which is apparently a problem with the new version. I've tried to go through TurboTax' troubleshooting pages but have gotten no results from any of their suggestions and no response to my email to them. I've closed all open programs, anti-virus, firewall, etc.; tried installing in safe mode; still get the same messages: Close all open programs, empty temporary folder. One of my sons, the family's go-to computer geek guy, spent about 3 hours on it and said "I don't know what to tell you." Anyone else out there have or had that problem? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks.

I have it installed on XP Home with, knock on wood, no problems. Do you have SP2 installed on your system.?

I also have windows XP. I had to right click on the cd drive (D:) and select open (or expolre) then right click on the .exe file and select open to get it to install. Mine did not have all of the froms needed for depreciation and a few others though, those had to be downloaded from the internet.

Can any of you tell me how to view my schedule F ? I cant seem to find it anywhere........I've entered nearly all of my tax/farm info, just cant view a schedule F summary form.

Also, How do I enter my farm vehicles? If I have a tractor and a pickup I want to deprecieate......where do I enter this information?

cornstalk":lvq7o1rk said:
Can any of you tell me how to view my schedule F ? I cant seem to find it anywhere........I've entered nearly all of my tax/farm info, just cant view a schedule F summary form.

Also, How do I enter my farm vehicles? If I have a tractor and a pickup I want to deprecieate......where do I enter this information?

Select forms, then scroll down the list to the Schedule F. The interview should ask you about depreciable assets and vehicles. The tractor and truck are handled differently because a vehicle is "Listed Property". If you go through the interview it will ask during the deduction portion.

Latest posts