New Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Pnw Farmer

Reaction score
The plan of 2 blue roan Shorthorns and a Hereford didn't work out as planned. My wife did the pickin' and we came home with a black baldy/Charolais cross, a blue roan/black Angus, and a red roan/Hereford. This bull calf came out of the Charolais cross. He's 3/4 Charolais/1/4 Baldy. First calf born at my grandparents place in 3-4 years. My uncle inherited it, enjoys cows but didn't like paying the feed bill so he lets us run our little herd on it and we help him take care of the place. We picked her up a couple days before she calved so everything was done for us up to the calf hitting the ground but I thought I'd share a new face on the place.

Attachments

• New Calf 4.19.22.jpeg
    New Calf 4.19.22.jpeg
    844.6 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Murray, 6 more to go of which 4 are heifers. They'll be May, possibly June. I'm hoping with the older cows calving first that they'll get the gist and not go all stupid like I've heard they'll occasionally do.

first two calves this spring. bull on 4-13, had to warm it up in the truck and dont know yet born yesterday 4-22.

Attachments

• bull calf from number 2 om 4-13-22 in truck.jpeg
    bull calf from number 2 om 4-13-22 in truck.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 7
  • black calf born 4-22-22.jpg
    black calf born 4-22-22.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 7
I had one I had to warm up a several days ago, I put him in the back of the truck and backed in the garage with the heat blowing on him. Couple hours later he was reunited with mama.

We got a nice rain last night, and this morning I had a new calf out there; It is kinda cold today. Yesterday I feed in the corral so he and mama were in the corral this morning, tagged him and put them both in the loafing shed. I have about 13 to go.

20220416_114232.jpg

This heifer calf was one we bought as a pair with her mom right after she was born. Registerable Angus, 73# BW, I wish I had something in the picture for a scale as she's an absolute tank at right under 2 months old. I believe she's got to be pushing 300 plus already. We've already decided to carry her over for breeding stock. Loves her chin scratched. We're pretty proud of our purchase with them so I thought I'd show her off.

Attachments

• Heifer 3-15-22.jpeg
    Heifer 3-15-22.jpeg
    967.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts