new to cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

lostcajun

Reaction score
I have three acres and need to know how many heads of feeder cattle I can put on each acre. I live northeast louisiana. The field is an old hay field.

Not enough info to give you an answer.

Your field condition?
Grass type?
Amount of grass?
Planning to fertilize?
Rainfall?
Fencing and cross fencing?
Rotating the graze?

And so on.

What not ask someone who lives close by and has cattle?

Then you have a better idea.

Regards

Bez

jerry27150":rzcylvim said:
i would guess 5 or 6
I figured you would.You'll guess at about anything. Hope he doesn't listen to you. If so I think he could create quite a headache for himself. Why not call Richard Manyhorses and ask him how many paper cattle he could trade per acre.

ollie":fx1wz724 said:
jerry27150":fx1wz724 said:
i would guess 5 or 6
I figured you would.You'll guess at about anything. Hope he doesn't listen to you. If so I think he could create quite a headache for himself. Why not call Richard Manyhorses and ask him how many paper cattle he could trade per acre.

Now thats funny I don't care who you are :lol: :lol: :lol:

ollie

Feeling a little testy tonight are we?

:lol: :lol:

Bez

You can't run six head per acre in the everloving Amazon.

ollie":2udddtwj said:

Now Ollie they could be minitures or ornamental, you know the kind you keep in a kennel and pour feed in a trough.
Cow Flop would get pretty deep six cows to the acre though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ollie wrote:

Caustic wrote: Now Ollie they could be minitures or ornamental, you know the kind you keep in a kennel and pour feed in a trough.
Cow Flop would get pretty deep six cows to the acre though.

I gotta' stay out of here my sides are starting to hurt.

:lol:

Bez

I live in central Louisiana and we can only average around 1.5 per acre.

Corey":2ntti86o said:
I live in central Louisiana and we can only average around 1.5 per acre.

So, being as you have 3 acres and are planning on running feeder cattle(they don't eat quite as much as full grown cows), 5 may be about right. Depending on if and how much grain you will be feeding.

I live in central MO, which is nowhere near you, but last summer (June 1 to Nov 1) I ran 4 steers starting at 750 lbs and ending at about 1000lbs, on my 2 acres. I did feed them some grain also, as I was trying to get them ready to fatten out, but those 4 couldn't even come close to keeping my 2 acres of fescue eaten down.

El_Putzo":3m003t8w said:
those 4 couldn't even come close to keeping my 2 acres of fescue eaten down.

thats 2 per acre. not 5 or 6. i guess.

by the way putzo thats a good motto you have

Yeah, 5 total is what I was meaning. Sometimes I'm not the most articulate with my words.

Yeah, I liked the motto too. Can't take credit for it. Can't really remember where I read it though either. I'm an avid hunter, as you might be able to tell. I saw a link on here a while back to a vegetarian board. I go there every once in a while when I need a good laugh or when I need to feel better about myself (Didn't know there were so many weirdos in this world). Sometimes I cause a little trouble and leave :p

Guess I shouldn't do that, or people might start thinking I have an alias, like BP or GP78. :lol: :lol:

excuse me, i guess i thought he wanted total on three acres. i figure he would keep grain out for them besides pasture if they are to grow fast. sorry i ruffled your feathers. but yeah i will guess if you want on most anything

I made the same mistake Jerry. No big deal. I just had to go back and reread. I get excited sometimes when I think I know the answer and I read too fast and miss something.

I want to clear something up for me. Are we talking about cows you plain on feeding feed, or a lot of calves you want to feed out. Because if you have cows we don't run no more than 1.5 an acre on feed. But feeder calves we have ran as many as ten per acre and kept hay and feed constantly out for them and they did fine.

So it depends on what you mean by feeder cattle.

Latest posts