New to Cattle :)

Help Support CattleToday:

J_Carr86

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

Just joined the forum and am excited to get some knowledge and information from everyone on here. Just picked up a 13 acre piece of land and a house a few years back with my now fiance. Have been getting my feet in the door raising ducks and thanksgiving turkeys, meat and egg chickens for a few years now and I would like to step it up and start thinking about some cattle.

After some thought and kind of looking over my property I feel that although I have the potential to start with some larger animals I am thinking about going in the direction of some miniature Herefords.

I've been doing alot of looking and there doesn't seem to be an abundance of these animals for sale around me and I would like to use this site to connect with others who have knowledge and information about these types of cattle. My intentions are to raise 2-3 animals for beef for our family and keep a cycle going with animals on the property. Any information or guidance in a direction would be greatly appreciated :D

It takes some time I'm seeing for any post to "clear" and get put up so this one may seem out of place. I mentioned earlier that I was new to cattle and interested in a cpl minis for myself and my family on a hobby farm. I am not looking to make a living or tons of money from this but to gain some knowledge and get some meat for friends and family when wanted/needed. I have done a little reading here on the forum and am noticing that the general outlook towards these "mini' cattle breeds is not very positive.

Like with anything else there are shades of gray and different ends of the spectrum so I can see someone who owns 100 acres of flat pasture land to scoff at the idea of anything other than traditional cattle to make a living off of. For the intended purposes that I mentioned before I am curious if this is a bad idea or if I am misinformed which if I am i wont take offense to someone telling me. The lack of available animals and the prices on their heads is interesting/discerning some. Although they're considered "mini' from what I've read theyre still 600lb+ animals so.....

You've probably gotten the impression that most of the folks here aren't fond of the small cattle because most of us aren't familiar with them, and they don't fit in the traditional cattle operations. If you think they'll work for you, go for it.

Welcome!
I started a few years ago with cattle. Was originally thinking about smaller breeds/minis, thinking that as a newbie, they'd be easier to handle/less intimidating. Some of what I read led me to believe they are not necessarily "easier" or more docile. Too, my understanding (may/may not be correct) is that there may not be a lot of choice in some of the breeds (in terms of sires, and not getting a lot of inbreeding). That said, if you think they will work for you...

We went with "regular" size cows (Angus). I have gotten used to their size, for the most part.

Personally, I would look for good temperament (over minis versus full, or breed), and for what sells/is marketable where you are.
Good luck!

As you have said there isn't a good availability of the mini. I would say look to the Angus Low Lines. They are a smaller framed animal but not considered a mini. There is a good deal more animals and breeders in CT and NY. As said temperament is very important with what ever animals you bring home being new to cattle. Good luck.

J_Carr86":3qqlosr5 said:
Hello everyone..

Just joined the forum and am excited to get some knowledge and information from everyone on here. Just picked up a 13 acre piece of land and a house a few years back with my now fiance. Have been getting my feet in the door raising ducks and thanksgiving turkeys, meat and egg chickens for a few years now and I would like to step it up and start thinking about some cattle.

After some thought and kind of looking over my property I feel that although I have the potential to start with some larger animals I am thinking about going in the direction of some miniature Herefords.

I've been doing alot of looking and there doesn't seem to be an abundance of these animals for sale around me and I would like to use this site to connect with others who have knowledge and information about these types of cattle. My intentions are to raise 2-3 animals for beef for our family and keep a cycle going with animals on the property. Any information or guidance in a direction would be greatly appreciated :D

:welcome: My suggestion is not to buy a mini breed unless there is a market for them because no matter mini or not the same work goes into both. Regular cattle are probably most marketable but if you want mini's for pets or just to have go for it.

I personally don't have any experience with minis. As you stated your just wanting to get some for beef for your family I would get a full size and raise and fatten for butcher. The minis would not give a lot of meat I don't think or if you found a niche for them to raise and sell. WARNING: If you and your fiancée are new, don't name them or it could be hard to have to butcher and eat since you will feed and take care of them for awhile. If you do name call them mr T-Bone or rib - EYE. A lot of people have become attached to bovines and just couldn't eat them. You could probably do a couple three a year if you wanted if you have mostly grass on your place.

I suggest you take a look at Wagyu. Mature weight is somewhere between a miniature and standard. Very good temperaments, and you can't get better carcass quality. They do well in a grass-fed type setup, too, since marbling is more dependent on age than how much they are fed.

Latest posts