New to Cattle - Getting Started

Help Support CattleToday:

Robert1617

Reaction score
I grew up in the city, but have always been passionate about cattle and look forward to owning some in the east/northeast Texas area. Is there a preferred breed for disposition, ease of keeping, etc.? Are there any breeds to stay away from? Is it an easier proposition to go with some stockers to just put some weight on them before selling? If so, what would be a good weight to purchase and then to sell. If you have some winter rye grass, do cattle do ok on that kind of pasture(any risks with that)? Do you need to keep newly purchased cattle in a confined area for a week or two to make sure they are doing ok? Thanks!

Robert1617":2o2sijh9 said:
I grew up in the city, but have always been passionate about cattle and look forward to owning some in the east/northeast Texas area. Is there a preferred breed for disposition, ease of keeping, etc.? I like Brangus, but I wouldn't recommend them for someone without much experience with cattle. I'd suggest Hereford or Angus, although there are others that will do as well. Are there any breeds to stay away from? Anything with Brahman influence, because of disposition. Is it an easier proposition to go with some stockers to just put some weight on them before selling? If so, what would be a good weight to purchase and then to sell. I'm not very familiar with stockers, but probably 400 to 500 lbs. If you have some winter rye grass, do cattle do ok on that kind of pasture(any risks with that)? There are risks with everything in the cattle business. Do you need to keep newly purchased cattle in a confined area for a week or two to make sure they are doing ok? Yes. Thanks!

And welcome to the forum.

Rafter S":3kw0uqdl said:
Robert1617":3kw0uqdl said:
I grew up in the city, but have always been passionate about cattle and look forward to owning some in the east/northeast Texas area. Is there a preferred breed for disposition, ease of keeping, etc.? I like Brangus, but I wouldn't recommend them for someone without much experience with cattle. I'd suggest Hereford or Angus, although there are others that will do as well. Are there any breeds to stay away from? Anything with Brahman influence, because of disposition. Is it an easier proposition to go with some stockers to just put some weight on them before selling? If so, what would be a good weight to purchase and then to sell. I'm not very familiar with stockers, but probably 400 to 500 lbs. If you have some winter rye grass, do cattle do ok on that kind of pasture(any risks with that)? There are risks with everything in the cattle business. Do you need to keep newly purchased cattle in a confined area for a week or two to make sure they are doing ok? Yes. Thanks!

And welcome to the forum.

The Brahman girls do the best but as Rafter said they are not for rookies and you need good pens not this portable stuff.
If it was me I would buy Hereford cows (cheaper) and run an Angus bull they will do well at the sale barn

:welcome: CB hit it. Hereford and angus will do well for someone new to get going with. Usually easy keepers and calm. But, as said always a chance of problems with any one.

My suggestion would be to go cow/ calf. Buying stockers is a handful even for the experienced.

Don't get hung up on a specific breed. Just stay away from the odd balls if you want to go to the auction barn with your calves. No Longhorn, Corriente, German-Blue.. blah, blah, blah.

Find some quality cattle, at a good price, that are easy to handle and go with it. Don't be afraid to tell them you want to walk around and move their cattle thru the pens and thing like that.

... and some people may disagree with this because they are going to push getting a uniform group... but don't be afraid to buy 10 here.. 10 there.. 10 over there... of different breeds or even commercial cattle. It will give you perspective. If you buy all your cattle at one place it makes your think that is the norm. They may all be junk but its hard to see when they are all the same.

I have to respectfully disagree about beginners staying away from Brangus. If you can find a place that raises them right (ie. no cowboying and letting them see people a couple times a week!) they can be just as, or more, gentle and easy to handle as other breeds. Anybody that doubts me can come see ours any time. Sure, every breed has it's bad apples...just make sure you don't load those up in your trailer!

ricebeltrancher":3v23k78h said:
I have to respectfully disagree about beginners staying away from Brangus. If you can find a place that raises them right (ie. no cowboying and letting them see people a couple times a week!) they can be just as, or more, gentle and easy to handle as other breeds. Anybody that doubts me can come see ours any time. Sure, every breed has it's bad apples...just make sure you don't load those up in your trailer!

You're right, of course. Mine are dog gentle too, but I thought that finding the calm ones may be more difficult for a beginner.

ricebeltrancher":o87xa0kf said:
I agree the problem lies in so many people screwing up the brimmer girls and I have tigers that meet me at the gate wanting attention.
With the right mentor nothing wrong with the brimmer girls problem with them is they don't forgive or forget your mistakes easily.

Caustic Burno":tl9z1ri5 said:
With the right mentor nothing wrong with the brimmer girls problem with them is they don't forgive or forget your mistakes easily.
As cfpinz said when I mentioned them, "They're too smart". Of course that may be just in relation to him!

Caustic Burno":1xzh593f said:
ricebeltrancher":1xzh593f said:
I agree the problem lies in so many people screwing up the brimmer girls and I have tigers that meet me at the gate wanting attention.

You got that right. A few years ago a neighbor's bull got into my pasture, and he hired someone with horses and dogs (and without asking me) to get him out. The first time I checked my cows after that they all threw up their tails and headed for the bushes as soon as I got out of the truck. It took me 6 months to get them straightened out.

dun":1ywodq9q said:
Caustic Burno":1ywodq9q said:
As cfpinz said when I mentioned them, "They're too smart". Of course that may be just in relation to him!

That might apply to 99% of cows. I didn't care for the ones my wife had, but I grew up around baldies and blue roans. Don't care to own anything with Brahma influence again, they just don't mesh with my management style.

dun":23kpc2bc said:
Caustic Burno":23kpc2bc said:
They most certainly have problems with big hats and buckles.
They also tend to see monsters raining one day went down to check the water gap. I had just bought a new duster raincoat, when I got off the mule all they could see was monster and high tailed to the back pasture.
Still can't wear that duster scares them to death.

The first time someone hoots, mine were done. They'd get that awe shucks look in their eyes and high tail it to the opposite end of the place.

They'd follow me into the pens, down the alley. Someone had to hide and close the alley behind them. If they saw someone anywhere near, they weren't going up the alley.

My brangus heifers are gentle as heck. But I mess with, check on em daily and cube them weekly. Their mommas in the other hand were not fun to get to the workin pens

First off, how much land do you have to work with? Do you want to have "babies" or do you want to have some cattle that you can get your feet wet with and make sure you like the whole thing from an up close and get dirty perspective? How are your fences? Stockers have a quicker turn around time, and you don't have to keep them through the winter if you don't want to or have water issues etc. Winter rye is good for grazing, no toxicity problems like the sorghums/sudan grasses. The most popular and therefore the most expensive per pound, size is 400-500 wts. Also get sick quicker as alot (not all) are sold right off their momma's so not weaned, will look for a way out to go back to momma, and stressed can get shipping fever etc. If you are planning long term, and get attached, then cow/calf. If not quite sure, I would go with a little bigger stocker, 6-700 lb as they are most likely weaned, know what a waterer is, not just going to the creek, will appreciate good grass to eat and go right to grazing, and will bring nearly as much per pound at 900 that they cost at 700 lbs. If you are close to a stockyard, go and sit and see what they are doing/bringing. Gives you some perspective on what's available, what's popular in your area, and what brings the most money, what the price differences are between 5 wts to 7 wts to 9 wts and where you can get the most return.
If you go c/c, find a dispersal sale, buy some of the more mature cows that know what they are doing and will hopefully have some experience. Do not buy first calf heifers: they will usually be the most expensive, and can be the most difficult to calve when you don't know what you are doing and they don't either since it's their "first rodeo".....
Can't say anything bad about cows with brahma or brangus except they do tend to be very protective of their babies and a little more high strung in alot of cases. They aren't popular here and are discounted heavily so don't see many, they are definitely more suited to hotter temps than here too. I would think a hereford, angus, or a red angus which seem to take the heat a little better. I would also stay away from any thing with limousin as they can be very aggressive with babies. NOT SAYING that an angus or hereford won't be protective.
Biggest thing is to match what your place is to what you want to try.

I am new myself but, as far as winter rye for winter/spring feed, it is great. I broadcast annual rye on a few acres last fall. It came out great and was ready before I was. My only problem was too much grass and not enough cattle. If you fertilize, rye grass can be excellent feed with nearly 20% protein. It also doesn't tend to cause bloat. My cattle gain more than 2 lb/day average, primarily on rye grass with supplemental minerals. Just be ready to graze the rye grass down close or cut it low before your warm season grass comes on or you will shade it out and weaken it. (This is from experience a couple of seasons ago). I am trying a mixture of rye grass and rose clover this fall to see if I can reduce my nitrogen cost a little.

Good luck and welcome. This is a great forum with lots of experienced folks that share freely. Don't hesitate to use it.

Latest posts