New Stihl chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

Just bought my second Stihl saw last week to be used in the cleanup of Ike. I saw the man take the saw off the rack, put fuel and bar oil in the tank, pull the cord once in choke and next in the partial choke position and the saw started and ran fine. Even idled sitting on the floor. So far I've ran about 20 tanks of gas through it and it starts and runs perfect every time.

Then I got my 20 YO Stihl out and filled the tank, put oil in the tank for the bar, pulled once on choke and one more time to start and it worked great! With performance like that I'm not real sure why I bought the new one. :)

I witnessed Craftsman, Poulan, Husk' and a few other brands at work this past week and I can say the Stihl's will run circles around all the others.

I did see something I've never seen before. We had a discussion a few months ago about the chain coming off during use. I said I've never had that happen to me as long as the chain was tight. Well, the new Stihl threw the chain and it was tight. So my apologizes for doubting those who said that it happens.

Hope everyone along the Texas/Louisiana coast are doing OK.

Well fellers, I believe I have that new saw broke in. Still working on my downed trees from Ike. So far, 3 big pine trees, 1 sycamore, 1 tangled up mess of a little bit of everything on a fence, and tonight I tackled the biggest so far. Found a big oak tree laying on top of two new Priefert gates that were installed less than 4 years ago. ARGH. One of the gates looks like a dozer ran over it about 3 or 4 times. Flat as it can be. Good news is that that oak tree is yielding enough firewood to get us through the winter. I'm cutting it to length as I go and stacking the limbs to burn. All this tree cutting sure does help to keep my mind off of what's going on with the economy and my 401k.

The saw is running great. Cranks good, runs good. I couldn't be more pleased.

Just checking in to brag on my farm boss.
My Stihl MS290 w/ 20" bar had more than paid for itself since IKE.

Also, my dad has had one for at least 20 years and it still runs and cuts great.

I have a small stihl saw, an 017, but I've used it for bigger than it's design and have only one complaint after 10 years. The choke lever started popping out of the little saddle it snaps into when I switch from choke to run and from run to off. I looked at some new saws and the saddle is alot tighter than mine, just worn I guess, but the saddle is part of the housing of the saw. So I don't think there is much I can do to fix this. But other than that, this year was the first time I had to adjust the carberator. Really good saw, if not for that plastic saddle, it would still be like new.

I should probably stay out of this Stihl lounge but................

I have 3 Poulan's :secret: One is a 16 inch and is 15 years old. One is an 18 inch and is 10 years old. One is a 20 inch Pro and is 2 years old. All run just fine. Only thing I have ever done to any of them is change a bar once in a while and chains. Let's say I am not the easiest person on a chainsaw also. With all the hurricanes down here they have cut some trees up not to mention cutting oak for firewood and the smoker.

When I bought the 20 inch I had some big pines to deal with and I went down to get a Stihl. I knew they were good so off I go. When I saw the price and calculated my economic situtation at the time, I walked out with the Poulan Pro. I guess I can't complain, they have treated me right over the years.

Maybe one of these days I will be able to join your Stihl club. :D

Red Bull Breeder":20n75dyo said:
I would rate them as mini macks. Stihl used to make a 44 don't know what the new number is mostly 440 it is as small as i would buy when i buy a new one it will be 460 then you can go to work.

RBB, I have a 460 magnum, and it's a man's saw! The only thing I have against mine is the weight, if you had to saw with it every day you would have forearms the size of Popeye! I also have a 290 farm boss, that I've had since 2000 and she's still purring like a kitten. It really helps to have the two saws. I also have a pole saw, that has been real handy in beating back those pesky overhanging limbs that seem to creep into the pasture a little more each year, these in conjunction with the 250 brush trimmer with the triangular shaped blade round out the arsenal. And no, I don't work for Stihl, I just got tired of working on other stuff all the time.

Dun's advice on maintenance is spot on, a little here and there will save you from being tempted into using alot of foul language. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

TREY-L":1jvcvzmg said:
Red Bull Breeder":1jvcvzmg said:
I would rate them as mini macks. Stihl used to make a 44 don't know what the new number is mostly 440 it is as small as i would buy when i buy a new one it will be 460 then you can go to work.

RBB, I have a 460 magnum, and it's a man's saw! The only thing I have against mine is the weight, if you had to saw with it every day you would have forearms the size of Popeye! I also have a 290 farm boss, that I've had since 2000 and she's still purring like a kitten. It really helps to have the two saws. I also have a pole saw, that has been real handy in beating back those pesky overhanging limbs that seem to creep into the pasture a little more each year, these in conjunction with the 250 brush trimmer with the triangular shaped blade round out the arsenal. And no, I don't work for Stihl, I just got tired of working on other stuff all the time.

Dun's advice on maintenance is spot on, a little here and there will save you from being tempted into using alot of foul language. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Trey, I would like to second the idea of having two chainsaws.

I first started with a single midsize Husky which I just wasn't happy with for a number of reasons. I took it back to the dealer who is also a Stihl dealer and traded it in on a larger Stihl 440.

The Stihl 440 which will cut through about anything. I've got an area of big hardwood trees I want to clear for more pasture. The 440 is a great felling saw.

At the dealers recommendation I did buy some chaps when I bought the 440. He told me a couple stories which went in one ear and out the other but I trust him so bought the chaps with the saw.

Well I agree with your statement on the arms required to use a 440 all day. After felling a big tree there is a lot of limbing to do. After felling and limbing trees with the 440 for about 4-6 hours in all sorts of positions a couple years ago My arms were tired and I slipped somehow while trying to get an odd positioned limb - and the chain came right down across my thigh!. Fortunately I had the chaps on or I would probably be less one leg right now - or seriously injured.

Those chaps stopped that chain right now. They work. Right after that I went back to the saw dealer, shook his hand, bought another pair of chaps and a Stihl MS180. for about $175.

It may seem extravagant to have two chainsaws - a big felling saw and a much lighter limbing saw - but take my word for it, the cost is a lot less than the medical bills from trying to do limbing with a big felling saw!!!

A single mid-size saw is probably ok if you are occasionally cutting firewood vertically from previously felled big trees or smaller trees, but if you are felling and limbing you will eventually see the logic of having two saws.

Please don't forget the chaps and steel toed boots no matter which way you go.

The MS 180 is a very lightweight saw but will cut an amazing amount of wood. It's not for felling big trees. The 440 is what I grab for those. Like having a nail hammer and a sledge hammer - they're for different jobs.

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE CHAPS! I keep the pair with the big slit across the thigh hanging in the shed to remind me to put the newer ones on.

Sorry to go on so long but if I can save one person from the accident I nearly had it is worth the time to post this.

SRBeef":3i19foc7 said:
At the dealers recommendation I did buy some chaps when I bought the 440. He told me a couple stories which went in one ear and out the other but I trust him so bought the chaps with the saw.

HOORAY for the dealer! I wish more of them would take the safety aspects more seriously then they do.

dun":3p2gsa0h said:
SRBeef":3p2gsa0h said:

HOORAY for the dealer! I wish more of them would take the safety aspects more seriously then they do.

Chainsaws are something you should buy from a knowledgeable dealer who specializes in saws, in my opinion.

I was in a hardware store today where they sell chainsaws. I looked for some chaps and they did not even have any, as far as I could see.

Yes, hooray for my Stihl dealer.

In years past I cut firewood for personal use. Each and every year the first tree I cut for wood I would pinch the bar and would have to cut it out with the second saw. So two saws are a very good idea for me!

Phil in Tupelo