New set of Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
Bought these three steers Monday to finish out, had to dig deep in my pocket to get some bought. $1.47/lb, this was at a pre-vac sale, lots of good cattle and buyers wanting them. Avg weight on the 3 was 817. I'll get a close up picture of them later but they're definitely a good looking set.FEA4B876-DD5A-48B3-B6C5-1652B9AE5F45.png

I took this 3 steers into the processor yesterday. I went by the sale barn on the way and weighed them, I was disappointed with their live weight, they did not gain well but they did put on a good finish. Sale barn manager also has a freezer beef business, he kept bragging about how good they looked but I just expected them to gain more.
They weighed 817 average on December 6, yesterday's weights were as followed: (24 hours no feed, 12 hours no water)
1) LW-1075 HW-672
2)LW-1065 HW-682
3) LW-955 HW-605

Hanging percentage was great 63-64%, I was just disappointed in the live weights.

Live weight average yesterday was 1031, so they averaged 214 lbs of gain in 140 days, just a hair over 1.5 lbs a day. I've had steers in the past gaining over 3 lbs a day.
I've bought pre-vac steers in the past same size as these, fed basically the same way for same time period and could get a carcass that weighed what the steers did when I bought them.

Sounds like they were ready to finish so maybe they were smaller framed?

The only year I did freezer beef they gained 3-4 lbs per day on the finish diet.

I took this 3 steers into the processor yesterday. I went by the sale barn on the way and weighed them, I was disappointed with their live weight, they did not gain well but they did put on a good finish. Sale barn manager also has a freezer beef business, he kept bragging about how good they looked but I just expected them to gain more.
They weighed 817 average on December 6, yesterday's weights were as followed: (24 hours no feed, 12 hours no water)
1) LW-1075 HW-672
2)LW-1065 HW-682
3) LW-955 HW-605

Hanging percentage was great 63-64%, I was just disappointed in the live weights.

Live weight average yesterday was 1031, so they averaged 214 lbs of gain in 140 days, just a hair over 1.5 lbs a day. I've had steers in the past gaining over 3 lbs a day.
I've bought pre-vac steers in the past same size as these, fed basically the same way for same time period and could get a carcass that weighed what the steers did when I bought them.
What were you feeding them? I'm like you, I would have expected at least 2 pounds a day gain from an 8 weight.

1) LW-1075 HW-672
2)LW-1065 HW-682
3) LW-955 HW-605

How much were they eating a day? That weight is usually the time that they really start cranking.

How much were they eating a day? That weight is usually the time that they really start cranking.

What were you feeding them? I'm like you, I would have expected at least 2 pounds a day gain from an 8 weight.
I fed a ration that was 16% protein / 9% fat 50% hominy,25% ddg, 25% rice bran.
Started them at 5lbs/ day each first few weeks and kept going up. They've been getting 20lbs a day each for at least 30 days and was getting a 50 lb bag between them for the 30 days before that. They had good hay all winter and have been on grass as well the last 30 days or so. I've always fed with them on grass, this ration is low in starch so being on grass shouldn't have effected them any.

I fed a ration that was 16% protein / 9% fat 50% hominy,25% ddg, 25% rice bran.
Started them at 5lbs/ day each first few weeks and kept going up. They've been getting 20lbs a day each for at least 30 days and was getting a 50 lb bag between them for the 30 days before that. They had good hay all winter and have been on grass as well the last 30 days or so. I've always fed with them on grass, this ration is low in starch so being on grass shouldn't have effected them any.
Not sure you could bump them a pound a week with out taking some roughage away. At 1,000-1,100 lbs they should be able to eat 27 lbs of shelled/cracked corn and a lb of supplement. That was always my targeted last step before I putting them on a self feeder. Then it was shell corn, supp, and corn stalks for scratch until market.

Latest posts