New Member Checking In

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
Have been watching the posts for several months and decided it was time to jump in.

I recently rejoined the farming community after relocating to NW Arkansas.

As a kid I lived on one of those farms in Northern Indiana where they have some of everything. We had a dairy, raised hogs, tried our hands at sheep (short lived venture) and every summer had a chicken house full of fryers. 20 years after leaving the farm and 4 years of helping my employer with his cattle has finally taken its toll... not to mention I have two kids, one who wants to be a veterinarian and one who is a "special needs" kid who gets along better with animals better than people. Besides some of the best and most generous people I know are farmers and ranchers and I'd kind of like to be included in that number.

We are slowly building two herds. My daughter (the career minded one) is starting a herd of Maine-Anjou X and we are working on a herd of Murray Grey's for my son. We chose the MG's more for docility than any other reason for him because of his special needs.

We also have a few head for Brangus influenced cattle - not that it's important.

That's enough digression for now... Just wanted to say hi. Looking forward to getting involved in some the discussions that come around.

welcome sounds like you are getting the kids a good start.sounds like they know what they want. scott

I hope you find as some friends of ours did that your son will be a much happier and independent person after interacting with the animals. The livestock seems drawn to our friends' children, and they have a calming affect on all of them.

madbeancounter1":2rywa4jt said:
Have been watching the posts for several months and decided it was time to jump in.

We also have a few head for Brangus influenced cattle - not that it's important.

That's enough digression for now... Just wanted to say hi. Looking forward to getting involved in some the discussions that come around.

Welcome, but just why is Brangus not important? :lol:

flaboy

didn't mean that they weren't important just not what we are building the herds around. I've got an older Holstein-Brangus cross that I've been using as a nurse cow for a couple of heifer calves.

preston39

lots of thunder and lightning but the rain missed us by about 15 miles. We sure could have used it though.

a couple of months ago there was a picture in the paper after an electrical storm... some old boy lost about 12 or 13 head of Char cows and hiefers and a Limi bull. They were all laying under a tree that had been hit by lightning. The paper said that the bull had been bought about 6 weeks earlier and was worth about 15k... and that it wasn't insured. The owner was quoted as saying, "that's what makes this business fun ... you never know what's going to happen next." given the circumstances I know what should have happened first....

madbeancounter1":176qi9g9 said:
flaboy

didn't mean that they weren't important just not what we are building the herds around. I've got an older Holstein-Brangus cross that I've been using as a nurse cow for a couple of heifer calves.

A man can't go wrong with a little Brangus in his herd unless he is going straight stock.

Welcome from middle Tennessee. It's a great board and your input will appreciated. We have a fairly large settlement of Old Order Amish over in the next county-they moved down here back inthe 40's. Used to have alot of Mennonites here in Giles County but they got into alot of turmoil and all moved elsewhere. My first wife came from a Mennonite back ground.

I think it's great that you're raising your kids on a farm-all children benefit from knowing about real life and the cycle of life and death and just the experience of raisng animals. :)