New Land

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Well, a month ago while visiting with a neighbor I asked if he would ever think about selling his place. He is getting up in years. He said no. A week later I get a call.....long story short, we closed on the land today. :D Will be able to run 30 more mommas and I got the minerals. :banana:

You never know until you ask. I have had several tell me they would have called me if they knew I was interested.
Good luck with the new land.

Kinda made the same deal day before yesterday. Just carrying on a conversation, I asked a neighbor if he ever thought about selling. He said if he thought his kids would ever want to move there he wouldn't even consider it. But he had already decided that they wouldn't. I asked him if I could make him an offer on it and he said shoot. I made him an offer and he stood there for a second or two and said, "I think that is a fair deal. Bring me something in writing." I really wasn't prepared for that answer.

You guys are lucky, congratulations. We would love to get some land that adjoins ours. The guy who drives the tractor and farms it is a hired hand and says he don't know who owns it. Seems fishy to me, who is paying him?? But I guess we gotta to to the courthouse and find out from the records.

Nice work getting the minerals to boot. Around here there is a mad scurry to snatch up minerals because of all the oil activity going on.

A guy bought 50 acres for $2500.00 a acre. He hired 2 men to build a new fence around it . He said he's going to raise sheep on it.
That's the only land that's been for sale around here in a long time.

curtis":3p8pg35m said:
A guy bought 50 acres for $2500.00 a acre. He hired 2 men to build a new fence around it . He said he's going to raise sheep on it.
Hope sheep are a good price, gonna take a passle of um to to make that pay.

jedstivers":35kxa7uy said:
curtis":35kxa7uy said:

Hope sheep are a good price, gonna take a passle of um to to make that pay.

That's what i thought Jed. He says he has a successful operation in north Mississippi and plans on running 4 to 5 head per acre an has a contract with some company up north.

The sheep people here are making more money than the cattle people. They have a contract with a grocery chain and are getting $3.45 lb hanging wt.

I know a guy over in Kentucky that has a sheep and goat feedlot and he contracts with several producers on their lambs and kids
he also owns 1/2 interest in a goat and sheep slaughter house in Illinois
he told me that 5 yrs ago when he started he fedd 10,000 head the first yr ;ast yr he was close to 90,000hd and he says the market keeps growing
I know he was paying $1.50 or more pr lb for kids last spring weighing 50-60lbs so I would say the goat people are making more clear money per acre than the cow people plus goats can run on pretty poor land

I saw an add on craigslist where a guy was advertising clearing your land with his goats for $1 per acre. Wish I could find somebody that would pay me to rent their pasture.

novaman":zg2cy6qo said:
Nice work getting the minerals to boot. Around here there is a mad scurry to snatch up minerals because of all the oil activity going on.

My nephew's a land man for a small outfit out of Fort Worth. He said over Thanksgiving that his company is opening offices in North Dakota AND Montana this month; he did not volunteer to help open up the new offices. I think he's afraid he'll freeze into an icicle up there. : )

curtis":87nb1dnd said:

Where are you located?

kenny thomas":2uety4wx said:
You never know until you ask. I have had several tell me they would have called me if they knew I was interested.

I have been afraid to ask about new land the last couple years. The wife is often behind on her chores and more of the same would be a tense situation... :cboy:

Isomade.....

congrats on the addition.

I would have to relocate to aquire any additional land. Around me even with this econonmy it is priced starting at 20K per acre.

Okay for the old lady when I kick the bucket but rough on me. We don't have much but got it when it was 2K per acre. 25 years ago that was big money.

pdfangus":39n4g9a0 said:
Isomade.....

congrats on the addition.

I would have to relocate to aquire any additional land. Around me even with this econonmy it is priced starting at 20K per acre.

Okay for the old lady when I kick the bucket but rough on me. We don't have much but got it when it was 2K per acre. 25 years ago that was big money.
:shock: I got this for 15 hunnert an acre with minerals. I hope it is 20k per acre in 25 years. :nod:

Angus Cowman":3izkv1tp said:
I know a guy over in Kentucky that has a sheep and goat feedlot and he contracts with several producers on their lambs and kids
he also owns 1/2 interest in a goat and sheep slaughter house in Illinois
he told me that 5 yrs ago when he started he fedd 10,000 head the first yr ;ast yr he was close to 90,000hd and he says the market keeps growing
I know he was paying $1.50 or more pr lb for kids last spring weighing 50-60lbs so I would say the goat people are making more clear money per acre than the cow people plus goats can run on pretty poor land

where is he at in Ky? I know there is a lot of goats around Horse Cave/Park City area.