NEW IN THE BUSINESS

Help Support CattleToday:

SHARI NOLFO

Reaction score
I am just getting started with raising cattle & found that I like to train club calves. I don't have purebreds, but they are an angus mix. Even though they are not purebreds, they do have a good look to them. I have had serveral people interested in them. I would like to start selling calves as county fair beginner calves. Not sure what kind of price to put on them. They are also very tame, halter broke and lead readily. I would think that the training will bring a better price. What do you guys think?
P.S. - located in mid-Missouri

show steers sell for around a $1000 a head or more.an if you have people wanting to buy club calves from you id give it a try.calves that are gentle an halter broke are a great help to a beginner.how meny people has asked about your steers for a show.

If is good enough to show, add at least $300 (minimum) to commercial sale barn prices
My son ends up charging about $250 to break a show calf.
Thats probably just a starting point.

for a broke crossbred show calf could easily start at 1500. since your name isnt popular yet. get a good name goin and they will start bringing more. much more.

bigbull338":hkrd5s7z said:
show steers sell for around a $1000 a head or more.an if you have people wanting to buy club calves from you id give it a try.calves that are gentle an halter broke are a great help to a beginner.how meny people has asked about your steers for a show.

5 people so far

Shari, This all gives me mixed emotions. I can feel really good for a kid that takes a calf as a project, does it all for theirselves, and learns the whole process. I would not buy a push button show calf for my own grandchildren. Of course, that is a personal choice. Now if there is a kid from a family that knows nothing about cattle, and they want in, they buy the calf with their own earned nickels, it is a good thing.

sounds like you can sell some show steers then.around here kids start showing steers at 8yrs old.an most parents or grandparents know how to halter break the calf.

Latest posts