New Here from Bryan TX

Help Support CattleToday:

kkdor

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and to cattle. I have a runt calf, 7 months old, weighs 95 pounds. She is drinking water and grazing but will not eat. I noticed today she has a white mucus coming from her nose. I have another calf approximately the same age with no issues. (These are my only two)
Do I take the sickly one to the vet or do I treat from home? If treating from home, suggestions please. Should I separate the two?

kkdor":3sxo6kg4 said:
She is drinking water and grazing but will not eat.
Thought grazing was eating :? If it's 7 days old it won't be doing much eating, if it's 7 months old and weighs 95 pounds my suggestion would be to just put it down.

She is 7 MONTHS old and does weigh 95 pounds. I'm NOT putting her down. She is not skinny, just very tiny. She is grazing on grass, eating hay but will not eat feed at this time.

kkdor":31gilkff said:
She is 7 MONTHS old and does weigh 95 pounds. I'm NOT putting her down. She is not skinny, just very tiny. She is grazing on grass, eating hay but will not eat feed at this time.

I don't want to put your calf down, but there's something wrong. A 7 month old calf should weigh 400lbs or more.

Yes, would like to see pictures also. Something is terribly wrong at that weight. You really need to have a vet look at her. What comes to mind is Dwarfism. But even the cows that I have seen with that weighed surprisingly more than that. Full grown cows in the 500 ld range.

I too would love to see pictures. This is something! About the size of a large dog. Might want to consult a university to study such an animal. If genetic, might breed more for family pets. But more likely something like a heart defect.

Bottom line is I would have a vet look at it. Might be other issues besides snotty nose.

How long have you had her? Hopefully the age is accurate, and not what someone told you.

I thought my 470lb 11 month old was a runt compared to this calf he was a monster. I have never heard of a 7 month old calf weighing less than 100lbs. If Rafter comes can I tag along I ain't to far away either. I would call A&M up I bet some of their vets would love to look at that calf.

95 lbs--at 7 months? That's a heavy newborn weight.
7month old hide weighs that much.
Rafter S, can I ride along?

But yes, take it to the vet--I bet he'd be very interested in seeing a 7 mo old 95lb calf no matter what the breed or cause.

i have a 18 month old specled park she's only700 now , I consider her tiny. was this calf a bottle baby or was it with mom

kkdor":jcnevu3n said:
I'm new to this site and to cattle. I have a runt calf, 7 months old, weighs 95 pounds. She is drinking water and grazing but will not eat. I noticed today she has a white mucus coming from her nose. I have another calf approximately the same age with no issues. (These are my only two)
Do I take the sickly one to the vet or do I treat from home? If treating from home, suggestions please. Should I separate the two?

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

kkdor":1scqigq0 said:

I feel like this discussion took a bad turn, and you might be feeling attacked when you came here for help. If so, I'd like to apologize if I gave that impression. I was sincere in my offer to come look at the calf. I meant that to see if I could offer some help, not to criticize or ridicule.

Latest posts