New guy with pics -- hammer away at 'em

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. Greenjeans

Reaction score
I have been reading posts for a while and finally decided to post a sample of my herd. Our family raises commercial cattle which are Brangus based. My grandfather (87 years old) raises pure Brangus cattle sold private treaty in West Texas. Hopefully with the instructions given, I posted the following pictures correctly. Opinions are welcome.

See below for pics !!!!!!!!!

Pictures 1, 2, and 3: My herdsire in his working clothes
3 years old in December
Angus/Brangus cross (Angus +)
1600 lbs.

Cattle_002.jpg

Cattle_006.jpg

Cattle_008.jpg

First calf heifer with bull calf:

Cattle_007.jpg

That first calf heifer appears to have a very nice udder---
and good hindquarter also :)

Whole lotta bull there Mr. G.

Good length, nice scrotum, fair topline, and proven progeny on the ground.

If I had to find fault, he could be a little more level hooks to pins.

Mr G , First of all welcome, and second, I like the looks of you cattle.

Thanks for the comments. I have started off slowly with the misfits from my granddads registered Brangus operation. The bull set me back $700 at 10 months of age. Credit the neighbors angus bull visiting one of "Dad-aws" heifers. We put him to work at 16 months. The red cow in the background was due to a recessive gene showing up (that sire didn't last long). I also have a nice Charolais-Brangus heifer as a result of a neighbors fence jumping Charolais bull. The rest of the herd is brangus and raised on our ranch.

Our system is still "eye-balling" their phenotypes and promoting low birth-weight scores. EPD's would be nice but we just don't use them to select our commercial bulls. My grandad retains his best heifers and sell bulls for $1500 each (they are very uniform). Those that don't make the grade go straight to the auction. It has worked for 101 years and 5 generations of ranchers. We do consider EPD's when we bring in a new herdsire for my grandfathers operation. The bulls we obtain for my commercial use are virgin bulls with selections based on phenotype and their mothers performance.

By the way, I have learned much from you folks that post on this site.

Yeah, we like the oil.

Warpaint -- I liked the character off Capt. Kangaroo as well but it had more to do with me being the pusher for calves going up the chute. Probably not the mental picture you wanted -- sorry

Mr. Greenjeans":1usmbhf5 said:
Yeah, we like the oil.

Warpaint -- I liked the character off Capt. Kangaroo as well but it had more to do with me being the pusher for calves going up the chute. Probably not the mental picture you wanted -- sorry

:lol: i can relate.

Beefy":26x5l9or said:
Mr. Greenjeans":26x5l9or said:
Yeah, we like the oil.

:lol: i can relate.

That's why my wife used to refer to me as green sleeves

never would have thought that bull was a A+ got alot of nice parts aint crazy bout the way their put together. but his muscle makes up the difference and he's got a good looking calf on the ground . that heifer is a ideal animal love too have a few like her myself .

Yeah I wasn't impressed with pic #2 as well. He normally stands a little more stretched than that one represents. My main concern with him is that he could be a little better from hooks to pins. I want a stronger topline and a little more length as well. I am impressed with his muscle and his demeanor. I just returned from throwing 7-dust on him out in the pasture by hand at about 4 feet away. He just gently walked away. Maybe a 7-dust variable on a docility EPD is now in the works by the Brangus folks.

I actually got him from Circle-A Brangus (my granddad) near Abilene, TX. Keep in mind he was something that was not to be sold to our customers due to an unauthorized breeding -- lucky me.

Thanks for the comments and criticisms as well.

Of course I put my best first calf heifer on the board but the others in my pasture are pretty close.