new grill

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
The last grill I bought was about 10 years ago. It was a chargrill gas . I changed the burners a Rock several times. I finally junked it a few months ago and been using a yard sale charcoal grill. I decided that since it end of season for grill sales that I would look for a discounted one. I did not want gas again after eating stuff grilled with charcoal the last few months. My boss has a BGE and I want one but just can't see putting 800 bucks on a grill. I was at Lowe's tonight and they had a chargrill acorn egg style grill for 300. I talked myself into it and brought it home. It seems well made and I put a double handful of.lump charcoal in it to.season the cast iron grates and it has been holding 400 degs for the last hour. I think I'm gonna like it.

M5farm":ad91tehd said:
The last grill I bought was about 10 years ago. It was a chargrill gas . I changed the burners a Rock several times. I finally junked it a few months ago and been using a yard sale charcoal grill. I decided that since it end of season for grill sales that I would look for a discounted one. I did not want gas again after eating stuff grilled with charcoal the last few months. My boss has a BGE and I want one but just can't see putting 800 bucks on a grill. I was at Lowe's tonight and they had a chargrill acorn egg style grill for 300. I talked myself into it myself into it and brought it home. It seems well made and I put a double handful of.lump charcoal in it to.season the cast iron grates and it has been holding 400 sets for the last hour. I think I'm gonna like it.

I think you'll like it too!

skyhightree1":9tliuwid said:
Good job m5 that's where I have been making trips to see if that Oklahoma joes smoker goes on sale that I want.
All of their gas grills were 20% off this weekend . I looked at th ok Joe's grill and it was nice but I don't need one that big.

M5farm":n7pi43bm said:
skyhightree1":n7pi43bm said:
Good job m5 that's where I have been making trips to see if that Oklahoma joes smoker goes on sale that I want.
All of their gas grills were 20% off this weekend . I looked at th ok Joe's grill and it was nice but I don't need one that big.

Thanks I will go there tomorrow. I didn't know they were on sale.

I've been threating for a couple years to get one but just can't justify it in my mind. Let us know how it cooks.
Sky the Oklahoma Joe's is the one I've been looking at too

Have you grill guy's ever tried cooking over wood coals? I like a good steak cooked over oak-pecan coals myself.

highgrit":30rpd0ez said:
Have you grill guy's ever tried cooking over wood coals? I like a good steak cooked over oak-pecan coals myself.

I use mesquite and like it to grill but when smoking it can get a little bitter IMO

I have a little table top Weber hibachi and if you're just grilling a couple steaks or burgers it's hard to beat.
Pile it full of mesquite limbs about 2" diameter and let it burn down to coals and it grills as good as big grill and doesn't use much wood.

Sunday evening We decided to have hamburgers. This thing is gonna take a little getting used to. It uses Lump charcoal and you are not supposed to use lighter fluid on it so I built a charcoal starter canister out of a an old oxygen bottle first. about 430 I put the charcoal in canister and got it lit. let it set for 15mins and then dumped it in the grill. I open the bottom and top vent and it took about 30 min for it to reach 400 degs. I then tweaked the air flow to maintain 400. put the burgers on and closed the lid. I let them cook for about 6 min and turned them to cook another 6 on the other side. Next time I will only cook mine for about 3 min each side. but they were not dry and probably the juiciest burger I have ever grilled. I then threw a pack of hot dogs on and cooked them real quick. One thing I noticed because its a sealed system there is no flame flair ups. When I was finished I opened the dampers up to raise the temp to clean the grill from all the juice and residue. The temp gauge only goes to 700deg and it pegged out about 15 min after I opened the air flow. I opened the grill and everything was burnt off and clean so I closed it up and shut off the air and it took about an hour and it cooled off. The next time I cook burgers I will get a butt and put it on after I get the burgers done and not waste the heat.

I like it so far.

Latest posts