New generation

Help Support CattleToday:

Another group of heifers ready for AI again. Three in heat today. Just a couple pics. More information on each will follow later.
20230702_093418.jpg
20230702_093521.jpg
20230702_093851.jpg
20230702_093822.jpg

Calves from the older group is growing real well this year:
20230701_213241.jpg
20230701_215226.jpg
Yellow one is 2,5 months old. Both sires by the same sire. One dam is simmental cross, another is gasconne cross.

New photos. Good mom, plenty of milk, so should do a good job with her first calf.
View attachment 17169
View attachment 17170
20230703_194824.jpg
This one's calf will go to the belgian blue thread, but for now can show her here. Due with her second calf on the 9th. Incalf to belgian blue. Had some work to get her incalf, but after changing AI time for her she stuck. Ready to pop any day now I would say. Fingers crossed for a heifer !

Some update on heifers calves. All doing real well and the last two heifers are getting close to calving.
20230811_111523.jpg
75% parthenaise heifer, which is raised by an adoptive mother.. her biological mom is almost two months incalf.
20230811_110850.jpg
75% simmental heifer.
20230811_111450.jpg
Culard Charolais calf from gasconne cross heifer.
20230809_170337.jpg
Parthenaise sired heifer.
20230809_211303.jpg
75% blonde heifer.
20230809_211220.jpg
Charolais calf from simmental cross heifer.

Some update on heifers calves. All doing real well and the last two heifers are getting close to calving.
View attachment 33735
75% parthenaise heifer, which is raised by an adoptive mother.. her biological mom is almost two months incalf.
View attachment 33736
75% simmental heifer.
View attachment 33737
Culard Charolais calf from gasconne cross heifer.
View attachment 33738
Parthenaise sired heifer.
View attachment 33739
75% blonde heifer.
View attachment 33740
Charolais calf from simmental cross heifer.
You have very impressive animals. In the US we don't tend to mix up so many different breeds, and colors/types, because we're trying to have a large group of consistent calves. Large groups of consistent calves bring higher prices. Although I know things are sometimes done differently "over there" I don't know the specifics of marketing in your area of the world. Do you sell animals individually? To private buyers? Do you sell through sale barns? Do you feed out your steers and any heifers you don't choose to retain?

You have very impressive animals. In the US we don't tend to mix up so many different breeds, and colors/types, because we're trying to have a large group of consistent calves. Large groups of consistent calves bring higher prices. Although I know things are sometimes done differently "over there" I don't know the specifics of marketing in your area of the world. Do you sell animals individually? To private buyers? Do you sell through sale barns? Do you feed out your steers and any heifers you don't choose to retain?
Have various ways to sell animals. Sometimes sell weanlings for export or for other farmers, who fatten. Sometimes leave some and grow until 1350-1450lbs and then sell to slaughterhouse. Nobody wants angus weanlings, so don't use them anymore. Other more muscular breeds are all welcome as long as you have a nice looking and well performing animal.

Have various ways to sell animals. Sometimes sell weanlings for export or for other farmers, who fatten. Sometimes leave some and grow until 1350-1450lbs and then sell to slaughterhouse. Nobody wants angus weanlings, so don't use them anymore. Other more muscular breeds are all welcome as long as you have a nice looking and well performing animal.
Now I'm wondering if you have similar grocery stores to what we have in the US? With meat counters alongside all the rest of the typical grocery items? Or do you have more independent butchers that sell a more specialized product?

Now I'm wondering if you have similar grocery stores to what we have in the US? With meat counters alongside all the rest of the typical grocery items? Or do you have more independent butchers that sell a more specialized product?
Very few specialized meat shops. Some farmers do sell their production themselves. Main meat source are grocery stores.

Interesting about the angus weanlings.

Angus in general are less muscled than continental breeds, so they grade worse and at the end are less profitable than other breeds here. That's mainly why we stopped using angus in our herd as well.
Here angus is the rage, if it has a black hide it just sells better, that's why I see it going down hill, good or bad black heifers are kept for replacements, while I believe other breeds are as good or even better.
They excluded red angus for CAB until recently, when they are the same other than the hide, with red angus I believe they have been more selective, along with other breeds in raising more superior animals.
We have butchered our own cattle since I was a boy, and one of the worst eating calves was a BA cross, we have butchered other breeds and all were really good along with some angus.

Angus in general are less muscled than continental breeds, so they grade worse and at the end are less profitable than other breeds here. That's mainly why we stopped using angus in our herd as well.
When I was breeding BB I had one that made over 70% carcass. That's impossible to beat with an Angus. And there was nothing wrong with the eating experience. IMO, marbling is over rated. I know, I know, we are all indoctrinated to think marbling is the be all, end all, of quality beef... but I don't raise my animals for the fat. I like some fat, but it's the meat that makes the meal.

I find your comment about Angus grading worse interesting. I assume that would apply to all British breeds. Here it is opposite. Many of the large feeders don't want anymore than 25% Continental and that is one of the reasons. I like heavy muscled cattle but also raise what returns the most dollars per acre. Your cattle are nice but not the type that works for us. Enjoy reading your posts.

I find your comment about Angus grading worse interesting. I assume that would apply to all British breeds. Here it is opposite. Many of the large feeders don't want anymore than 25% Continental and that is one of the reasons. I like heavy muscled cattle but also raise what returns the most dollars per acre. Your cattle are nice but not the type that works for us. Enjoy reading your posts.
So it's really about pounds per carcass as opposed to price per pound.

In the US we are being paid for lighter animals at weaning, that will marble easier... and in eastern Europe (and perhaps most of Europe) they are being paid to produce meat.

In my area, north central Minesota, black angus brings a premium and a small discount for red angus at the sale barn, meat market or fed out to butcher for clients. I guess its what the public wants that drives price.

Latest posts