New found marketing tool at Holstein auction.

Help Support CattleToday:

Sir Loin the one thing you overlook in your grazing, vs freestall operations and handling of manure and urine is that with freestall operations alleys are flushed twice daily (ours was anyway)....The waste water and manure is collected and then often pumped. We had a manure separator which separated solids from liquids. Solids were then composted and mixed with rice hulls and used for bedding the cattle. Liquids were collected and applied uniformly to land used for hay and corn production.....not unevenly applied as with grazing cattle. Grazing operations of course allow for cattle to use the pastures "freely" however, you still need a lagoon to collect all water and solids dispensed during milking times which is considerable. These operations usually irrigate with these waters on hay fields as well so there is not really that much gov't BS about it so much as it is being able to collect and utilize this fertilize source where it is needed most.

Sir Loin":36p7p3l1 said:
Dun,
Re:
Do all of you equate mounds of composting manure as being filthy and cruel.
No! That is exactly why I let the manure and bedding build up in my calf pens.
I have no problem with manure mounds, particularly west of the Mississippi where the climate is dry.
Re:
May not be aesthetic but it far from filthy or cruel. The wet boggy manure that's hock deep is cruel and unhealthy.
I agree!
But we are talking about a soup mixture on concrete.
The problem is the acid in the urine and manure, which doesn't drain away, and the acid from the lime in the concrete softens the hoof and infection sets in.
SL

Not to quibble, but both lime and urine are moderate to high ph, not acidic.

Bred by Texas,

So what exactly are you disagreeing with? I know you are the resident Holstein "expert", but I am not sure what we are arguing about besides the fact that you do not like me.

Re:
Not to quibble, but both lime and urine are moderate to high ph, not acidic.
OK, I must have been absent from school the day that was covered.
Any who, if you have ever done any masonry work you will know exactly what I am talking about. Wet concrete burns like H and can causes blisters.

We call it "red eye" when you put a little pinch in a fellow workers plumbers crack when he bends over.
SL

dun":2zkhwdjm said:
Gee, how clever. Doing exactly what all the sale barns around have always done.

Heck, dun, before you know it people will be using the term "one owner" to describe such things as cars, trucks, farm machinery, houses, guns and a host of other things. Oh, wait!! They already do. Never mind. :lol2:

AllForage":3saeku7j said:
Bred by Texas,

So what exactly are you disagreeing with? I know you are the resident Holstein "expert", but I am not sure what we are arguing about besides the fact that you do not like me.
I'm not "Bred by Texas" but I'll answer. I'm no holstein expert but I did dairy for a long damn time so I know a little about a dairy opertion. And I don't dislike you...heck I don't even know you. I was disagreeing on yoru comment concerning the filth and abuse. I didn't see it at the dairies I visited in Wisconsion (that was 20 years ago) nor have I seen it on the Texas dairies. I guess those dairies I saw up your way that I would call "exceptional" were the exception rather than the rule.

CottageFarm

OK, I found this:
The most severe type of dermatitis is chemically caused caustic burns. Second and third degree burns are possible with relatively short exposure to concrete, grout, fresh mortar, or other portland cement products.
So how about I call it "chemically caused caustic burns" instead of "acidic"?
SL

TexasBred":984hz6lg said:
AllForage":984hz6lg said:
Bred by Texas,

I'm not "Bred by Texas" but I'll answer. I'm no holstein expert but I did dairy for a long be nice time so I know a little about a dairy opertion. And I don't dislike you...heck I don't even know you. I was disagreeing on yoru comment concerning the filth and abuse. I didn't see it at the dairies I visited in Wisconsion (that was 20 years ago) nor have I seen it on the Texas dairies. I guess those dairies I saw up your way that I would call "exceptional" were the exception rather than the rule.

We are talking about Holstein steer feeders, not dairies. Obviously if dairies were that filthy they would lose their license. Read a little closer. And I am glad that you don't dislike me, now I can sleep tonight, but lets keep it at an acquaintance.

Sir Loin":2ytywxt7 said:
New found marketing tool at Holstein auction.

Long story short.
An old friend of mine called me and asked if I would spot for him at last night's Holstein auction as he was running late.
So I agreed and got there 2 hours early to inspect the cattle.

I was impressed to say the least.
IMO Holstein owner do a far better job in grouping their animals and have healthier animals then do beef producers.
After inspection around 800 head in their pens, I found only one steer with an eye injury.

What I did find different and unusual was that on all the inventory sheet handouts someone had marked 4 different lots with a hand written note: "ONE OWNER".
This was the first time I had ever seen this done.
And even the auctioneer made it a point to state they were "one owner" steers when they came in the ring.

I am defiantly going to put that one in my little bag of marketing tricks.
It amazes me how much information those two little words " ONE OWNER " conveyed.

Why didn't I think of that???????????
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!
SL

So, Sir Loin, do you still think dairy beef is a cheap and inferior product and that almost all of it goes into ground beef and dog food? Just wondering.

Van,
Re:
So, Sir Loin, do you still think dairy beef is a cheap and inferior product and that almost all of it goes into ground beef and dog food? Just wondering.
Yes, but I never said anything about it going into dog food.
Nor did I say anything about it being an "inferior product ".

I still believe it is what it is, a lower quality grade of beef . And when laced with Angus trimmings it becomes a more palatable fast food burger.

Hey, while I got you on the line, Athens Stockyard just posted the market report for this past sale.
Go: http://www.athensstockyard.com/marketre ... Report.htm

The lots that were marked "one owner" were:
302 A
302 C
303 A
303 B
Check out those prices.

SL

Sir Loin":18s09iug said:
CottageFarm

OK, I found this:
The most severe type of dermatitis is chemically caused caustic burns. Second and third degree burns are possible with relatively short exposure to concrete, grout, fresh mortar, or other portland cement products.
So how about I call it "chemically caused caustic burns" instead of "acidic"?
SL
And let's make it "wet workable fresh" concrete...not dry cured concrete.

And exactly why do you think they sell concrete sealer?
Could it be that all concrete will crack, spall or scale (flake ).
Not to mention wear and tear from a skid loader bucket scrapping it constantly.
And don't forget the winter freezing and thawing.

Re:
No! Lets just leave it at "all concrete".

SL

Sir Loin":wc8rx6bj said:
And exactly why do you think they sell concrete sealer?
Could it be that all concrete will crack, spall or scale (flake ).
Not to mention wear and tear from a skid loader bucket scrapping it constantly.
And don't forget the winter freezing and thawing.

Re:
No! Lets just leave it at "all concrete".

SL
Why are they scraping it all the time if it is so deep?

This has to be the dumbist dang thing I have read on the internet to date.

Concrete burns ya cuz it dries out your skin for gosh sakes.

Holstein beef is not inferior to quality just takes more feed as their guts have been bred to consome tons of forage to turn into milk. Everyone of us has had a crappy angus, shorthorn, limim, blah blah blah steak but I bet ya you have had alot of dang good holstein ones over the years too. They don't just grind them all. I have sold and ate ones that have graded prime.

Wearing out a bucket where are ya from man they sell tire scrapers since I was in diapers and in 11 years I have wore out one!!!!!!!

Allforage you are just across the river from me and I'm sorry you went past one steer operation that had them standing in sh*t up to their navels but really you don't have anything better to do with your time them accuse everyone raising steers that they do a shi**y job?

This is thread is the exact reason we should all have to take a test to own cattle and more importantly to put stuff on the net. Me included because I am just rambling and I can't even keep straight what I am trying to say!

Till-Hill":34qkkpa1 said:

Holstein beef is not inferior to quality just takes more feed as their guts have been bred to consome tons of forage to turn into milk. Everyone of us has had a crappy angus, shorthorn, limim, blah blah blah steak but I bet ya you have had alot of dang good holstein ones over the years too. They don't just grind them all. I have sold and ate ones that have graded prime.

Wearing out a bucket where are ya from man they sell tire scrapers since I was in diapers and in 11 years I have wore out one!!!!!!!

Allforage you are just across the river from me and I'm sorry you went past one steer operation that had them standing in sh*t up to their navels but really you don't have anything better to do with your time them accuse everyone raising steers that they do a shi**y job?

This is thread is the exact reason we should all have to take a test to own cattle and more importantly to put stuff on the net. Me included because I am just rambling and I can't even keep straight what I am trying to say!

I hope that test would start with grammar and spelling. Not accusing everyone, just see it an awful lot.

Thanks, allforage. I forgot where I come from. Born in Wisconsin, that must be the problem. You sound like to me like one of them dipsh*ts that needs culling from the herd. Everytime I visit this forum to learn something all I get is a big laugh. You and your 5 cows and your grand daddy's farm you got given to you will be just fine. Let the rest of us feed the world the best way we know how. By getting sh*t done, not talking about it.

You come on over anytime and I will change your mind. Untill then keep telling the beginners how to do er your way.

Please someone that is actually a real farmer/rancher help allforage! btw for argument sake you can dry lot cows cheaper than you can put them on pasture. haha good nite

Till-Hill":1a7kruvu said:

Well said my man. Sounds like you're had some on-site experience. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TexasBred":cuzfbrsq said:
Till-Hill":cuzfbrsq said:

Well said my man. Sounds like you're had some on-site experience. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for the invitation, but now I think conversation at dinner would be a bit awkward.

TexasBred":25pjc974 said:
Till-Hill":25pjc974 said:

Thanks TexasBred. Some people have used their mouth and their fingers to type way more than they have ever used their hands to work cattle or do anything on a farm or ranch. Got to love the book farmers.

Latest posts