New Fair Grove Jr Livestock Show

Help Support CattleToday:

htrc

Reaction score
We are having a Jr livestock show in Fair Grove,Mo on May 17th.

We are open to suggestions about what you like and don't like about small(less than 100 hd) shows.
This is our first year. Fair Grove hasn't had a show in several years.
We are just going to have beef cattle and meat goats this year but may expand if it goes well.

Here's the link to the show information!
http://www.showpage.com/Fair_Grove/index.html

What are your thoughts on premium market animal sales?
A sale where the kids keep their animals and continue to show them.
If our first year goes well, I would like to pursue this idea. I don't have any experience with this type of sale and I'm looking for pros and cons.
Thanks

Does anyone have anything on premium sales?
I have several reason I would like to try this type of sale.
Our show is very early in the year, in our part of the country.
County shows around us are restricting sales and just allowing youth from their counties to sell.
It would allow people and business in our area to participate in this show.
It would help the kids with expenses.
It would help our show commitee raise money, through a small commission on animals sold.
Thats just a few of the pros I see.

The cons I can think of are as follows.
Have to drum up buyers
Getting someone to donate their talents to sell the animals.
Having to collect and distribute the proceeds.

Does anyone have any other Pros or Cons? :help:

Premium sales are always good for the kids projects, and I would think that there should be good interest from the 4-h and FFA kids in the area. Getting enough information out on the show would be another challenge to ensure that you get a good competative show going. I would think your biggest challenge would be getting bidders to the sale and collecting sale proceeds. Those are always challenges in these type sales.

I used to live in that area and even showed at the old Fair Grove show. I am pleased that you are getting this going again. Good Luck!

The first one is under our belts now. I feel it was a success, had about 50 goats and over 60 head of cattle. :banana: All the kids seem to have had a good time. I don't think we had any complaints on the beef cattle show and the judge did a great job. We also heard no complaints about the goat show, other than the judge was a bit rude.
Only had two wrecks, steers and goats don't mix.
I think we are already geared up for next year.

I would like to thank all the people who attended and hope to see them next year.

Latest posts