New colts

Help Support CattleToday:

Sharp grulla! Foaling and calving are my favorite time of the year. WCC that looks like quite a handful of a foal! (I can see he's really bothered by the camera and all the attention)

Thanks Bar None! I couldn't agree with you more on the foaling and calving season. When ever someone asks why I do it, I just point them to the maternity pasture. Nothing like seeing the babies play! :D

TR you should be ashamed...I am not happy with you and mama is going be flat out angry!!!LOL I swore off mares a long time ago...but that little lineback grulla has got me to thinking about looking up a little set of broodmares for her to tend to in her spare time. Nice nice nice

Danny and fellersbarnone,

Dandy babies! I bet I'm not the only one sitting on my porch in the evenings with a frosty adult beverage watching those young'uns play in the pasture!

Tapeworm,

Ashamed? Me? Naaaaah! :lol:

TR":34gw4nrj said:
Welcome LT Miss Cheyenne! Silver Grulla filly born 04/20/05...Finally!!!

LTMissCheyenne014.jpg

Nice! i like that mare too.

Thanks Beefy,

She's the proverbial silk purse outta sow's ear, and I'd hate to tell you what I paid for her, her last year's colt, and this filly in utero. Trick is there's no papers on her although she's branded up one side and down the other. There's gotta be a way to trace those brands with the AQHA. Going county by county isn't going to cut it as the guy I bought her from trades horses and tells the same story on all those he sells....they're all 9 yrs old and were purchased from somehwere up in Montana. So, who knows what's true in that story. All in all, she's been mishandled somewhere along the line and is very mistrusting. I haven't even layed a hand on her since she arrived here last July and am thinking about leaving her open this year just so I can work with her. I'd be too embarassed to stuff her in a trailer and haul her somewhere to be bred like she is. I gotta say though, someone somewhere along the line ruined a nice horse. She's as hardy as a billy goat, an extremely easy keeper, milks like a cow and produces 100% color when bred to black, and she's a great mama. She bred back to foal exactly 1 year to the day of her last foal's arrival and she has an unusual amount of common sense. The added bonus being that she keeps my big paint riding horse outta trouble.

So, even though she's really not handlable at the moment, I'm pretty pleased with this purchase. She's got a home here for the duration. :D

So, any guesses as towhat color I'd get if I bred her to a bay?

bays are black based horses with a gene that restricts black to the points. grullo is black plus dun. so crossing them would result in bay, black, dun, or grullo assuming she's heterozygous for dun and he for agouti(the black restriction gene). If they are both hetero. black then you can also get sorrel or red dun. They have a lot of info on color combos on the CPEA website.

Thats interesting about colors Danny...sure hard to figure on horse matings
I still like em TR...no matter about all the science stuff...maybe thats why...you can never predict exactly what you got coming

Well our mare finally foaled near the end of May.

here are a few pictures of him at a day old

I will take some more once mare is back from the stud owners place where she being bred.

joker.JPG

joker2.JPG

:D

Like those diamond N. Thank you!! bring em on folks..you to Alan

Diamondn,

Do you do your on freeze brand? it's a great job on the mare.

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes we freeze brand our own horses

Thanks for the compliment. Hers is one of our better jobs although I do like this colts
toosmartforjac.JPG

and this mare's
shezmisscontinental.JPG

Alan":3prloclp said:
Diamondn,

Do you do your on freeze brand? it's a great job on the mare.

Alan

Latest posts