New Calves and a Crazy Momma

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with most. I'd keep her. She's doing what she is supposed to do. In two weeks she will be fine. If she comes after you when you've got her in the lot, sell her. But not for protecting her baby.

My husband ended up with his 3rd shoulder surgery. Sold the cow & ate her calf. Absolutely depends on your operation: do you tag/band/give shots immediately? Do you have help or some means of protection? Too many variables & opinions - there is no right or wrong, just whatever works for you. That said, we're a small (47 bred) cow/calf operation with extremely gentle cows (and bulls) & I have zero interest in a strong producer if there's a good possibility I'm getting my a$$ kicked because we do tag/get-on-'em day 1 or 2 - after that they're too fast & strong. We do have one cow that gets a little testy but we can either luck out or tag/whatever later. Good luck but most of all be safe!

TCRanch":2c7z1smc said:
My husband ended up with his 3rd shoulder surgery. Sold the cow & ate her calf. Absolutely depends on your operation: do you tag/band/give shots immediately? Do you have help or some means of protection? Too many variables & opinions - there is no right or wrong, just whatever works for you. That said, we're a small (47 bred) cow/calf operation with extremely gentle cows (and bulls) & I have zero interest in a strong producer if there's a good possibility I'm getting my a$$ kicked because we do tag/get-on-'em day 1 or 2 - after that they're too fast & strong. We do have one cow that gets a little testy but we can either luck out or tag/whatever later. Good luck but most of all be safe!
Excellent post!

Not the case if people would stop thinking they are pets. Checking cows just to make sure everything is OK from a safe distance would not cause any harm. Going out to cuddle or pet the calf can get you hurt. My experience is they will calm down once the calf get some age. I had one Pawing the ground Saturday with someone else in the pasture with me and she does not have a calf.

And she was way calmer this year than last year. :D You have a good way with animals M5.
If you want something to pet get a dog.

You won't have to worry about the k-9 type running in your pasture...
Always good to have at least one range cow around that knows how to take care of interlopers.

Sounds like a good cow as long as she raises a solid calf. She will keep predators away from the herd. As has been said cattle ain't pets.

dun":30cj6055 said:
TCRanch":30cj6055 said:
Excellent post!

Animals always show you what they are thinking with their body language. If you continue on.... when they are telling you no.... that's your fault.... not theirs.

Brute 23":2qq0mizd said:
dun":2qq0mizd said:
TCRanch":2qq0mizd said:
Excellent post!

Animals always show you what they are thinking with their body language. If you continue on.... when they are telling you no.... that's your fault.... not theirs.

Yup. We learned the hard way. And now not only are we cognizant of their body language, we cull any cow/heifer/bull that has a bad disposition or is flighty.

ga.prime":3nm1kni0 said:
I agree with M-5, the older the calf gets the less protective the cow will be. In the meantime give them plenty of room.

I agree... and would add people that she doesn't see regularly do not let them get anywhere near her sometimes they cut a friendly face a break sometimes not.

She would be on the next trip to town around here, or perhaps we would let her raise this calf, but she wouldn't be around to raise another. As a general rule, they do get better as the calf gets older, however on the other side of that coin...they get worse to deal with every year, and if as a heifer she is already coming after you sometimes, well, next year she won't be any nicer.

IMO, it doesn't really matter how 'nice'or 'good' she is if she puts you (or someone else) in the hospital or kills you...

Latest posts