New Calves and a Crazy Momma

Help Support CattleToday:

RunninB

Reaction score
Hey there,

Pretty new here on CT. I have made a couple of posts and have gotten some great advice.

Short history...Back in April I purchased 10 bred heifers. After reading several posts about heifers I may have not done that and gone a different route. Anyway all were due Dec1 - Feb1 and as planned all have had their calves. Didn't have to pull a single one and only had one that dropped her calf and kept walking. (Our only icy and snowy day here in Central Tx). After a trip to the vet to get the calf back on its feet she has become a great momma. Where the crazy one comes is I have one that you can't get within 30 ft of her calf or she stares you down and sometimes comes after you. My issue is that she is a really great momma and I hate to ship her out because of an attitude. To me the bottom line is will she produce a calf and will she take good care of it. These are brangus cows by the way and she seems to have a little more ear than some of the others. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks

Reviews will be mixed on this. In the end, it will come down to what you are willing to tolerate. Me personally, I'd keep that cow. Especially if her calf is the only time she wants to fight.

Imo it depends on your situation if you have to handle them a lot or if their are little kids around id say she has to go but if you dont have to handle them and theirs no kids or any one thats going to get hurt you could keep her fine. Either way be safe :cboy:

I agree with M-5, the older the calf gets the less protective the cow will be. In the meantime give them plenty of room.

I have had some as gentle as dogs in the pasture, but will fight a circle saw when in the pen, usually tears sometime up when penned, if you keep her off spring most likely they will be the same way, don't know why but they are usually your best cow . From experience it isn't worth the hassle, sell her and use that money to buy one with a better disposition.

She will get better with this calf as it gets older but expect the same with each new calf she has. I would rather have 9 level headed mommas than dealing with one that I have to be afraid of, even if she is the best of the bunch !

No small kids around but my 70 y/o dad kept trying to "help" yesterday buts it's hard to watch your back and someone that isn't very nimble. I finally got him to understand that it's best if he just stays away from her. I'll give it some time and see how she settles in.

RunninB":j2ydgc5j said:
No small kids around but my 70 y/o dad kept trying to "help" yesterday buts it's hard to watch your back and someone that isn't very nimble. I finally got him to understand that it's best if he just stays away from her. I'll give it some time and see how she settles in.
it can be hard dealing with older folks trying not to offend them and being respect full when trying to work with cattle you don't trust

It is always cheaper to keep a good cow and get rid of a cull.
Now the question is she a cull?
If she doesn't wean a calf within 10% of her peer group
produce a calf every 12 months while maintaining BCS that question is answered.
She is in your pasture and you are the one that has to decide what you will
and won't tolerate on disposition.

I'd rather have that type than one who is not protective. Just keep a wary eye out when anything in the pasture calves.

What happened to all of the posters with the "If she can;t tell the difference between me and a predator I don;t want her" point of veiw?

dun":35l69ler said:
What happened to all of the posters with the "If she can;t tell the difference between me and a predator I don;t want her" point of veiw?
I think some one will pop up here soon :lol:

That's a good sign she is a good momma to me but at the end of the day it's your pasture and you have to decide what you want.

Don't just haul her to the ring for that. Be honest with people why you are getting rid of her and you shouldnt have any problems selling her.

Large ranches with large herds can tolerate such cattle easier than small places with a few cattle, gonna end up getting you or someone else hurt. Sell and replace

cowboy43":1u2tjrxs said:
Large ranches with large herds can tolerate such cattle easier than small places with a few cattle, gonna end up getting you or someone else hurt. Sell and replace

Not the case if people would stop thinking they are pets. Checking cows just to make sure everything is OK from a safe distance would not cause any harm. Going out to cuddle or pet the calf can get you hurt. My experience is they will calm down once the calf get some age. I had one Pawing the ground Saturday with someone else in the pasture with me and she does not have a calf.

Now if she was "fighty" before the calf she would be on the First load to the barn.

I have 1 that's overly protective of her young calves. As long as I'm careful to not get between her and the calf it isn't a problem. She's fine the rest of the time.

I would away rather have one ready to do battle for her calf than one the takes off and leaves her calf. Once I would have had to find out if she was putting on a show or was ready for business. To old for that now.

just let her be, she and her calf will be fine. We have few cows are like that when their calves are few days old but once the calves are a week old or more, the cows usually will lost the interest of murdering you and I can walking around in the herd at anytime. We had one cow that won't chill out and she just wants to kill you even if her calf is 7 months and already sold. She went to slaughter.

Latest posts