New Calve

Help Support CattleToday:

farmertucker

Reaction score
My heifer just had her first calve without any help and she is black angus bred to the same and at first she wouldnt let calve latch on but he finally did and she was getting more comfortable with it. My question is I know I need to steer him but and trying to get some opinions on banding vs cutting? Also I will put a tag on him but should I vaccinate him with anything? And last since the is the heifers first calve should I be giving her something to supplement the pasture since shes new to this and dont know how her milk will come in? Thanks

Sometimes the cow gets them cleaned before I band them but I do try to at least let them get all the way out before I put the band on. Count to 2 and do it as soon as possible.
As for vaccines check for what is needed for your area. Many areas are different.

Unless disease is a problem in your area (ie. calf scours), you don't have to be in a rush to vaccinate. They get quite a bit of protection from the milk and colostrum, and there are studies that suggest vaccines aren't even that effective until about 3 months after birth. We generally work ours when they are 1-3 months old, although if we have a few in the group that are younger we go ahead and give them all of their shots and implants for convenience's sake. We band everything and have never had a single problem. I highly recommend the Tri Band Bander. Just do your research, take EVERYTHING you read with a grain of salt, and when in doubt, ask your vet!

If she is in good condition and has good pasture, I wouldn't worry about supplementing her with anything right now except a good mineral. If she's thinner than she should be (BCS 4), a few pounds of feed a day or cubes wouldn't hurt. If you think about it, her nutritional needs aren't at a peak until the calf is about 3 months old, when that calf is bigger and eating more and she's at her peak lactation. Honestly, if they are getting too much good stuff to eat AT calving, it actually does more harm than good because they start making TOO MUCH milk, and the calf can't keep up. It doesn't need a whole lot to eat when it's only 70 pounds. We don't start supplementing our heifers with feed until about 30-45 days prior to turning out bulls.

Thanks for the info. I had a problem yesterday with the heifer chasing the calf though my electric fence. While it was on the other side I did find our it was a heifer. So I guess I will hope my other cow turns out a little bull(perfect scenario).

farmertucker":24gpcd06 said:
Thanks for the info. I had a problem yesterday with the heifer chasing the calf though my electric fence. While it was on the other side I did find our it was a heifer. So I guess I will hope my other cow turns out a little bull(perfect scenario).

Our heifers often chase the new babies out of the hotwire also. I think sometimes they are just so excited that the calves run, and I really believe the first few days calves do not feel much! I have seen a newborn jump right through without a reaction, or stand under a wire and just move a little. But, usually by two days, they have a "normal" reaction to the hotwire! :shock:

As far as banding versus cutting, we prefer to cut. We cut between 3 months and 6 months. But we are a purebred seedstock operation so we keep around 25% of our bull calves bull for future herdsires. The interesting thing about knife versus banding; we have a steer in the county carcass contest and he is the only one that was knife cut. His cod is MUCH MORE prominent that the banded calves in the group. I guess I had never noticed that until we looked at all the calves in the carcass contest a few weeks ago. Not that it really mattered.... just an observation I made.

Latest posts