New butchers knife

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Wife made arrangements to have this made for me for Father's Day.
Beautiful custom butchers knife with burl wood handle. The guy hand delivered it to me and now he's going to make a chefs knife with the same burl wood for me. :banana

Cool! Nothing better than a custom knife. We had some made by Mr. Cobb. We went to his house and saw his set up. Don't recall the name of the place, began with an O. Ormond maybe.

Hook I believe that what you have here is an "Old Hickory" style butcher knife.

Nice piece of workmanship.

3waycross":6nw1mug7 said:
Hook I believe that what you have here is an "Old Hickory" style butcher knife.

Nice piece of workmanship.
Funny you say that. While clearing some land awhile back we found one of the original 1950-1960 style old hickory knives and we cleaned it up. I was telling the knife maker about it an how much this resembled it. I got to dig that out again from where ever we stored it

Very nice! I would be all over that chef's knife. Post a pic of it too when you get it.
Do you know what kind of steel he uses? (carbon, laminated, A2 ??)

That should work well!
It's a really good tool steel that takes and holds an edge very well. We have several chisels and plane irons made from 01 steel, and I prefer it to the A2 steel for that.
It's very hard but not brittle, so it holds an edge really well (as long as you keep it away from nails :D )
It'll likely need to be oiled regularly, but will develop a nice patina with age.

Latest posts