New bull

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg":1r854e7d said:
I like him! I would like him better without horns but to each his own.
The farmer we have bought this bull from had in total two bulls for sale. Both looked almost identical. Just one was taller and horned and another was polled, but abit smaller in height. We've chosen the taller one, because we want to increase the size of our cows.

Nice looking bull. Is he easy to handle?I think nothing is cooler than to have such a large animal and be able to lead him around.

Petercoates87":29duud7n said:
Nice looking bull. Is he easy to handle?I think nothing is cooler than to have such a large animal and be able to lead him around.
He isn't halter trained. I'm pretty sure that he has never seen a rope too. Here are no shows where cattle would be judged and led with halter, so very rarely somebody trains their cattle with halter.
But the bull isn't afraid of people and comes to you. You can hive him a scratch. Of course he doesn't trust us very much, because it's a new place and new people, but he's quiet. He's alone in a steel pen, but there are heifers pasture very near him and he can see them and cows a little bit further.
Now give him some meal, so he should get used to us in couple weeks.

Bull & the heifers look good.

Is that your house in the background of the last picture? That looks like a beautiful yard & house!

creekdrive":2ugew8w5 said:
Bull & the heifers look good.

Is that your house in the background of the last picture? That looks like a beautiful yard & house!

No, it's our neighbours house on the other side of the road. Our house is in this side. But it's verry simmilar looking. :)

The boy and his girls went on grass two weeks ago. He finally has an almost fully formed cows herd with him: 8 cows and two heifers. Four heifers will come after a month or two. He got much calmer when we brought him more girls.

During the past few years got tired of the red and black colours. It's very nice when have a calf with white marks or even completely white. Hopefully will buy Charolais or Simmental bull for the next year. Going to replace the elder bull.

This boy should have already bred two heifers. He's working very secretly, so not very sure if he does his job, but two heifers haven't been seen in heat for a while already. If they got pregnant we should get this bull's first calves in January-February.

An update photo of the big boy. He works really well. First he has served his small ,~12 cows and heifers, herd and later was moved to the main herd (in August) when the elder bull was sold and there were a couple recently calved cows and maiden heifers. He's very friendly and extremely loves apples. :D He got no meal since spring, so lost abit of shape, but he still looks pretty good. Especially like his size.

frieghttrain":2xbv11a1 said:
Whew he'll be a monster come 3-4 years.
Hopefully he won't grow into a huge one, otherwise will be able to use him only on cows. However he already have bred 5 heifers successfully and 9 more are waiting in a couple months time.

Latest posts