New Bull...What do you think???

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint":x9djs8ms said:
What caught my eye right away is a dip halfway between hooks and shoulder. Either a uneven muscle developement or possibly a spine curvature. No way to tell from the pic.

Other than that, a nice looking bull.
IMO - this is a reasonably good "phenotype" for a Beefmaster 18 MONTH old bull , - not a two year old Beefmaster. His scrotal size probably relates to the ambient temperature - and I presume it is winter in Texas as the trees have no leaves. The "dip" between his hooks and shoulder is an adhesion at the thirteenth rib connecting the hide to the spinous process. Not too unusual, particularly in the Hereford breed, which is where I imagine this characteristic evolves. It is aggravating when it appears in a show animal (and how 'some' show people got around that is a "whole 'nother" story!), but has no significant negative implications in regard to his breeding ability. The sheath situation is not uncharacteristic of the Beefmaster Breed, given their Brahman genetic background, as are the 'ears' also, but I don't care for a sheath that has the potential for physical problems as this one does. I would like to see more width and thickness than he demonstrates. Here is an example of where EPD's can be a significant factor in the decision to breed him to certain cows. The term "Improvement of Your Herd" should be the operative phrase in the decision to keep replacement Heifers from him.

This bull is an example of a moderately representative Beefmaster bull, but I think he is not developed as well as he should be at this stated age of two years. I think his heifers would be slow to mature, and therby 'extend' your rapid 'turn-around' time in production protocols.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":25fphbtj said:
warpaint":25fphbtj said:
What caught my eye right away is a dip halfway between hooks and shoulder. Either a uneven muscle developement or possibly a spine curvature. No way to tell from the pic.

Other than that, a nice looking bull.
IMO - this is a reasonably good "phenotype" for a Beefmaster 18 MONTH old bull , - not a two year old Beefmaster. His scrotal size probably relates to the ambient temperature - and I presume it is winter in Texas as the trees have no leaves. The "dip" between his hooks and shoulder is an adhesion at the thirteenth rib connecting the hide to the spinous process. Not too unusual, particularly in the Hereford breed, which is where I imagine this characteristic evolves. It is aggravating when it appears in a show animal (and how 'some' show people got around that is a "whole 'nother" story!), but has no significant negative implications in regard to his breeding ability. The sheath situation is not uncharacteristic of the Beefmaster Breed, given their Brahman genetic background, as are the 'ears' also, but I don't care for a sheath that has the potential for physical problems as this one does. I would like to see more width and thickness than he demonstrates. Here is an example of where EPD's can be a significant factor in the decision to breed him to certain cows. The term "Improvement of Your Herd" should be the operative phrase in the decision to keep replacement Heifers from him.

This bull is an example of a moderately representative Beefmaster bull, but I think he is not developed as well as he should be at this stated age of two years. I think his heifers would be slow to mature, and therby 'extend' your rapid 'turn-around' time in production protocols.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks for clearin that up Doc. ;-)
Learned something new today.

I like his hindquarter; agree with Knersie otherwise.

[/quote]Overall a good enough bull to use commercially, but not for seedstock production

i thought beefmasters were britishXbrahman.

looks like a limoXbrahman to me.

Aero":2j049krw said:
i thought beefmasters were britishXbrahman.

looks like a limoXbrahman to me.
Tom Lasiter, the developer of Beefmasters, used Hereford, Shorthorn and Braham as his three breeds in a Three Breed cross. I knew Tom in 1952, and his primary selection protocol was RUTHLESS CULLING of cows. They produced a calf every year or they were GONE! NO exceptions - NO excuses - NO exemptions - NO pardons - NO forgiveness - NO alibis - NO favorites - - they produced a calf EVERY year or they were gone- immediately! As he told my Ag. class one time when I took them on a Field Trip to his Ranch near Colorado Springs, ".. . .even if a cow didn't produce because it was MY own fault - she is gone!" Pretty tough!

DOC HARRIS

I have a book that his son wrote somewehre around here, my Dad knew him some how, remembers going to a show of them in KC a long time ago... The book is interesting and he his culling was ruthless. Calf got hit by lightning momma was culled... Think he also recommended keeping 90% of your heifer calves every year.. I didn't agree 100% with the book ut it shows what can be done in a relatively short period of time to improve a herd and fix traits that you are looking for.

*Cowgirl*":23joy6m0 said:
looks pretty good.
maybe too much set to pasterns.
long spined
good depth
nice frame
weak top
looks narrow in 3rd pic
yucky sheath and underline
balls way too close to body

Maybe he was cold!

Yep, some of Lasater's stuff is pretty odd.

Cull like hell, but cull from all of them.

Lots of people cull just as ruthlessly as he did.

Badlands

*Cowgirl*":wemjj9lm said:
looks pretty good.
maybe too much set to pasterns.
long spined
good depth
nice frame
weak top
looks narrow in 3rd pic
yucky sheath and underline
balls way too close to body

That is a decent sheath for a Beefmaster bull. For a long time they were usually hanging down to the ground.

Matt Schiel