New Bull...What do you think???

Help Support CattleToday:

jack.diamond

Reaction score
This is our new bull. A two year old registered beefmaster. My daughter was in charge of taking the pictures. Wanted a rear view but didn't get one. What do you think ??

Jack

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

looks pretty good.
maybe too much set to pasterns.
long spined
good depth
nice frame
weak top
looks narrow in 3rd pic
yucky sheath and underline
balls way too close to body

Who is he out of Jack ? The only thing I see wrong is his nuts. If it was cold outside when the pictures were takened,it would explain. Other than that I like him. My father in law taught me the first thing to look at on a bull is his nuts.You want them big and hanging away from the body.

Some folk will nitpick him, but he's one of the nicer bulls recently posted on here in my opinion. His sheath bothers me more than anything. Beautiful color, by the way.

cfpinz

What caught my eye right away is a dip halfway between hooks and shoulder. Either a uneven muscle developement or possibly a spine curvature. No way to tell from the pic.

Other than that, a nice looking bull.

Them beefmasters sure have a look about them.

I kinda like him. Sure like his quarter. Too much ear and sheath for these parts though. He does look a touch narrow from the front shot but that will help in calving out heifers. And he doesn't appear to be real shallow in the heart, so the width of chest floor might improve with age.

Pretty fancy bull.

Joy in Texas":3pnnjhkv said:
Who is he out of Jack ? The only thing I see wrong is his nuts. If it was cold outside when the pictures were takened,it would explain. Other than that I like him. My father in law taught me the first thing to look at on a bull is his nuts.You want them big and hanging away from the body.

There are no leaves on the trees in the background and judging from the lack of grass, the multiple cowpies and their shape, plus the extra hay laying on the ground in the picture I would assume there may have been some cool weather at the time of the picture.
--Julian

Julian":sfy089wf said:
Joy in Texas":sfy089wf said:

There are no leaves on the trees in the background and judging from the lack of grass, the multiple cowpies and their shape, plus the extra hay laying on the ground in the picture I would assume there may have been some cool weather at the time of the picture.
--Julian

Julian,

You are right. The pictures were taken last Sunday morning. The cold front had moved through on Saturday night. The temperature according to my thermometer was 34 degrees and the wind was about 10 mph. There was a thin coat of ice on the water troughs.

Jack

Julian":11iagglf said:
Joy in Texas":11iagglf said:

--Julian
Yep that's the way it looks at my place too. But we have had few nice warm days. It would make a difference.

I like him. 8)

Oops I apologize for the triple posts... Don't know how that happened but it did get my point across... didn't it?

I think his topline tends to be more like the brahman influence in the beefmaster. It isn't perfect by a long shot, but it isn't that bad either.

What bothers me is his rear pasterns, that will not improve with age/weight. And even if its cold and his balls are tucked up, I still prefer them not to be at that angle, but rather straight down. There is a correlation between the scrotum and the udder attachment of his daughters even if it isn't bad enough to be a fertility issue.

What I like is his masculinity and well developed neck and also his depth and overall thickness and muscling. I think his chest width will grow into the rest of his body with maturity.

Overall a good enough bull to use commercially, but not for seedstock production.

As far as the bull goes, he's better than a lot of what get's posted on here but sure not an A-1 specimen.

As far as the posts about his nuts, some people are obviously stupid. When it is cold they are going to be drawn closer to the body. It's a regulation system. To produce viable semen the scrotum should be at below body temp but not too cold. If the temperature is too cold the testes will be drawn to warm them to the appropriate temp. I can just see that ignorant redneck now (probably with a cig dangling from her lips): "My diddy in law told me - first thing ya look at is his nutz!!"

Good Day!!

I'm sure 99% of the people on this board understand the function of the scrotum and how it should operate. Fact is that it should hang straight down to be functional. Being tucked up that way may not be a problem in the cold, but it will be summer again!

nortexsook":1j0sft0s said:
As far as the bull goes, he's better than a lot of what get's posted on here but sure not an A-1 specimen.

As far as the posts about his nuts, some people are obviously stupid. When it is cold they are going to be drawn closer to the body. It's a regulation system. To produce viable semen the scrotum should be at below body temp but not too cold. If the temperature is too cold the testes will be drawn to warm them to the appropriate temp. I can just see that ignorant redneck now (probably with a cig dangling from her lips): "My diddy in law told me - first thing ya look at is his nutz!!"

Good Day!!
MODERATORS IT'S TIME TO SEND THIS ONE PACK'IN

From Ansci101:

>>For many years the external cremaster muscle within the spermatic cord has been thought of as the principle thermoregulator of the scrotum, drawing the testes close to the abdomen when cold and relaxing when warm. However, the tunica dartos muscle at the bottom of the scrotum also responds to temperature changes and probably plays a major role in temperature regulation of the testes.. Blood flowing to the testis is cooled by adjacent venous return in a convoluted complex of vessels called the pampiniform plexus, located just dorsal to the testes.<<

Emphasis from above: >> It has been shown that this latter muscle is sensitive to temperature changes only in the presence of the male hormone, testosterone<<

Meaning that if your bull is free swinging at 15 degrees he MAY be low in testosterone.

ALACOWMAN":3ktd5xg6 said:
nortexsook":3ktd5xg6 said:

Good Day!!
MODERATORS IT'S TIME TO SEND THIS ONE PACK'IN

Best idea I've heard all day.

cfpinz

Even when it's really cold (10-20)bout as cold as we get- our bull's nuts aren't near that tucked up.

I try to give folks a chance but

Let's get rid of this jerk! :mad:

Latest posts