New Bull #2

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm22":1slmmdz7 said:
One thing you learn pretty quick on these boards is that people even within the same breed have wildly different perceptions of and experiences with different bloodlines. Semen that is just taking up space in one man's semen tank is PROBABLY a treasured and much sought after commodity to another man. Before you trash any semen try putting it on cattlerange or the cattle today classifieds first.

Great idea Brandonm, or you can talk to your supplier as they will be up on everything and a lot of times they can arrange a trade. I traded a few straws last year that someone wanted for some other semen that fit my program better. Or if you have the space as these new tanks hold a crap load of semen hang on to them you never know what is going to happen ten years down the road.

HS Thanks for posting those.
I like #1 and #3. I guess from what I see the #2 bull is just too heavy and too short. He would probably be good for long cows that need to add more muscle. Nice pigment around their eyes too.

Alright time for a stupid question.
Is there a shelf life for straws of semen? Or do you dump them because you are not going to use them and need the room?

I luv herfrds":j6ax5wyl said:
I like #1 and #3. I guess from what I see the #2 bull is just too heavy and too short. He would probably be good for long cows that need to add more muscle. Nice pigment around their eyes too.

Is there a shelf life for straws of semen? Or do you dump them because you are not going to use them and need the room?

You are welcome. I think the dump was because the owner could have had an issue with the bull. More photos on page 27 on the Austrailian thread, last I looked....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45969&start=390

I think as long as the nitrogen level is maintained and the tank is sound they should last forever, most people dump them (the straws) because the bull has gone no where and it's really no point in using him BUT there are always the odd ones that make their way back into rotation with a bang ,usually after they have died.

BTW, I like all the bulls from Australia, except for the lack of eye pigment on a couple, number 3 is my favorite, wow.. Now to breed bulls that look like them.. :nod:

What I like about them is that have an a$$. Down this way they look o.k. except for skinny/narrow rumps. Good conformation is getting hard to find out here.

The Titan bull on the Austrailian thread has a 7.7 frame. Just the way we like 'em.

Here is another from the same site but not presented yet just in case you are interested in importing possible Austrailian standards.

ultra.jpg

http://yallaroo.murrayfrancis.com/info.asp

Like I said WOW, very very nice ..Too big for my operation though as I like a little smaller frame. I was going to ask before if anyone knows what is the average frame size that is used and liked on huge stations in Australia . The standards they must use for all animals to do well under those conditions must be exceptional..

hillsdown":pmkwn9vo said:
Like I said WOW, very very nice ..Too big for my operation though as I like a little smaller frame. I was going to ask before if anyone knows what is the average frame size that is used and liked on huge stations in Australia . The standards they must use for all animals to do well under those conditions must be exceptional..

Ultra is a full brother to Titan.

I luv herfrds":1xowk87f said:

Hmmm... I like #2 the best!

George

Herefords.US":1zscj37z said:
I luv herfrds":1zscj37z said:

George

I also like #2 the best. I Think the others are a little big and #3 is slightly shallower flanked and I dont think I like the top line on either 3 or 1. JHH

JHH":1ln0r72l said:
Herefords.US":1ln0r72l said:
I luv herfrds":1ln0r72l said:

George

I also like #2 the best. I Think the others are a little big and #3 is slightly shallower flanked and I dont think I like the top line on either 3 or 1. JHH

no 2 is the only one of the three that I like, but what is up with his rear left dewclaws?

You've got to understand that Australia breeds for the Japanese market where they demand enormous carcasses, not for SA or the USA. Typically Australian bulls don't do well in SA, very much like most USA bulls don't do too fancy here either, its usually when that firstcross is bred back to the original population to only leave about 25% foreign blood that you really get the desired effect. Likewise I am sure our bulls probably won't have enough growth for either the USA or Australia. Horses for courses.

agree Knersie I think the #2 bull is the only one worth using of those three ... as far as the dewclaw I think it is the angle of the pic, it is showing the other dewclaw as well, making it look like a monster dewclaw lol

I used to do quite a bit with some exceptional herefords ... I'll see if I can find some pics

Actually very, very little hereford goes to Japan. Our JapOx markets are dominated by AngusxWagyu, and DairyxWagyu lotfed beef. Our british and continental bred beef goes onto our domestic market, or the export market to Korea, and yes, United States.

Typical frame score here is 6 - 7.

northtexas":28ozrm4l said:
>>Australias largest station is 4 times the size of americas largest ranch.<<

That would make it 2.2 million acres. Pretty big spread.

Going OT here (I ahven't rad the whole thread yet) but Australia's largest station is 6million acres- bigger than Belgium- and I actually worked there for a year or so.

Useless fact :D

In answer to whoever it was that asked about frame sizes on station cattle, the trend for a number of years has been for the 7-8 frames, while even larger bulls have been selected. However, in recent times, as with everywhere, some station owners are now looking to moderate their frame size and looking at the 6-7 frames. The general type of true station cattle has however been tall, rangey cattle that can still hold their own through the tough times. It is interesting to see cattle going into pastoral zones in recent times that have not been the 'traditional' station breeds, such as Angus, Murray Grey and now even Tuli.

I didn't like one and two as much because of their briskets, it looks like they could almost trip over them. However looking at other pics of older herf bulls I guess that is a common trait.

Thanks for the info Killala and Keren.