New Bahia Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
I have a new bahia pasture I just planted in the spring along with some millet for a nurse crop.It has done really good since we have had decent rain this year.It has a few bare spots but most of it is doing great.My question is -I'd like to put some ryegrass or a legume out in it this winter but I'd hate to tear it up trying to harrow the seed in(I dont have a drill).Do ya'll think I could just broadcast and cultipack or would I be waisting my time and money?I have no problem running the harrow through my old pastures but I dont think I could bare doing it to this pretty green young bahia.Should I try something or leave it alone this first year?

id just use the broadcast seeder to put out the rye grass.an no you dont have to roll it.graze or shredd the pasture.so that the seed can fall on the ground.

I agree with BB but it wouldn't hurt if you had a light drag to pull behind your spreaded. Chain link fence or a chain harrow works great for me. It just lightly scratches the dirt. I put mine on about 16' of chain so the seed will hit the dirt and then it gets scratched in. BTW, I remember you or someone else asking about using the millet earlier in the year as a nurse crop. I was for it and gave it high recommendations based on my experience doing it. Just was wondering if you too would agree this is a good way to establish bahia or did you feel you lost some growth?

Jogeephus":2bv4m7qh said:
I agree with BB but it wouldn't hurt if you had a light drag to pull behind your spreaded. Chain link fence or a chain harrow works great for me. It just lightly scratches the dirt. I put mine on about 16' of chain so the seed will hit the dirt and then it gets scratched in. BTW, I remember you or someone else asking about using the millet earlier in the year as a nurse crop. I was for it and gave it high recommendations based on my experience doing it. Just was wondering if you too would agree this is a good way to establish bahia or did you feel you lost some growth?
Yeah that was me .I dont think it hurt it one bit.Heck the bahia is out growing the millet in most spots for some reson.Might be because of the ph being a little low.I'm open to suggestions on the clover but what kind and how will it do in soil with about 5.5-6.0 ph.I'm not gonna spend the money to lime it since the bahia does fine in it.Also I have a drag so I'll just do that with what ever I broadcast.

Glad to hear it worked well for you too. I was advised against it by a couple of people but I just couldn't see not using the field. Besides, we had a nice dove shoot to boot.

Jogeephus":3it4z7gl said:
Glad to hear it worked well for you too. I was advised against it by a couple of people but I just couldn't see not using the field. Besides, we had a nice dove shoot to boot.
Since you are near me ,Do you agree with the Clover?What kind will do good?Arrowleaf or Durana?When and at what temps should I plant it this fall?Does it do ok in Bahia?

I've never planted arrowleaf but I got a rogue plant a couple of years ago in the barnyard and it seems like it does well. I'm going to try some this year. I've planted Durano and it doesn't do as good as I hoped but I think I am actually out of its preferred range. Extension guy suggested it. While it doesn't grow that well for me I do admire its persistance and its ability to spread everywhere. Unfortunately it doesn't really provide me with much grazing but I do like it for a soil builder.

I think you will find that the root mat of bahia will choke out the clover with time. Lightly discing in the fall will awaken the clover growth. My best results on clover is in bermuda fields and not bahia. Bahia is a tough cookie. Oh, the arrowleaf was in bahia so there is hope yet - I just don't know for sure.

Jogeephus":th964pay said:
I've never planted arrowleaf but I got a rogue plant a couple of years ago in the barnyard and it seems like it does well. I'm going to try some this year. I've planted Durano and it doesn't do as good as I hoped but I think I am actually out of its preferred range. Extension guy suggested it. While it doesn't grow that well for me I do admire its persistance and its ability to spread everywhere. Unfortunately it doesn't really provide me with much grazing but I do like it for a soil builder.

I think you will find that the root mat of bahia will choke out the clover with time. Lightly discing in the fall will awaken the clover growth. My best results on clover is in bermuda fields and not bahia. Bahia is a tough cookie. Oh, the arrowleaf was in bahia so there is hope yet - I just don't know for sure.
Thank you sir .Youre always a big help .I'll see what I can find around here seed wise.I'll try it once the 90's and high 80's are gone.And rain is coming.

When you are shopping around, if you happen to see Dixie crimson clover you might want to try some of this too - especially if you can take the cows off of it when it starts to make seed. This is the same variety that grows on the right of ways and as you know this stuff grows about anywhere. It produces tons of forage but unlike the Durano, the flower is near the way off the ground and it won't reseed if you graze it too hard when its trying to reproduce. Here is a bermuda grass field overseeded in it.

IMG_2228.jpg

Latest posts