new at showing and need tips on feeding and prep work

Help Support CattleToday:

topstock

Reaction score
Hello~ we are fairly new to the world of showing beef cattle. We have had dairy all of our life, but they are a different story!
My son has an Angus steer and heifer and my daughters have Shorthorn heifers to show. I feel like I dont know what we are doing at all, especially when it comes to feeding, rations, amount to feed etc. Please walk us through this. What should we be feeding now, what should we be doing with them(besides the obvious halter breaking) My daughtesr have shown dairy feeeders for a couple years and last summer was the first summer with the shorthorns. I feel like we have so much to learn!
It would be helpful to have a complete list of "Now do this", "Dont do this",and "this is what you want to accomplish and why"

Thanks for the tips!

Where are you located? That has an influence on what you should be feeding as far as available feed sources. How much does the steer weigh now and when is your show? Are the Shorthorn heifers going to be shown as market heifers or breeding heifers?

With out knowing age of animals it hard to tell you a feed ration but here's mine, maybe it will help

Heifer & Steer ration as if the show was 6-7 months away
Starter ration, for when fresh off of the cow
1000# fine ground corn
150# Purina Stocker/Grower Performance 12N
15# cattle minral
Feed 2# per head per day for two weeks then incress to 4# per head per day for two weeks then start them with the grower feed ration.

Grower Ration, to use up till 1-2 month before show
1250# fine ground corn
250# Accuration
25# Cattle minral
Feed 7.5# of feed per head per day and incress only when they seem to be eating all of the feed and still need more and they aren't gaining like before. ( but be sure to watch their poop for lots of left over corn in it) and steers will need more feed to get them finshed out right. It's kind of hard to tell you with out feeding them my self cause my ration changes from day to day.

Show Ration, for the show.
1000# fine ground corn
200# Honor Show Chow
50# Beat pulp
50# molasses
Just feed them a good amount to keep them felled out and with a control amount of cover
Also if you have one's with sunk in sides give them a ration of Depth Charge one hour before show.

These are just my feed ration for steers and heifer, this might not work best for you or your cattle but this is what I most often go by.
For more info go to Purina mills or to Honor Show Chow sites

For hair if you are going for the all out kind of thing. As soon as it get above 55 and stays above during the day start brushing and washing, and get them calves in front of the fans. That's what I do for hair, just be sure to brush brush brush, it helps a lot for hair growth and to get them use to handing.

If any other questions just ask, and good luck and have fun

Thanks for the replies.
We live in Western NY. The shorthorn heifers will be shown in a breeding class. Actually they will be fresh before the show. The angus steer is taping at a weight of 1050 and the heifer will be a year old in April.

*1st Show June 3rd and 4th

*Our county fair the 2nd week in August

Our ration right now is 1400# ear corn
300# oats
300# soybean meal
25# minerals

That was supposed to come out to a 14% ration.......

Thanks - Ill check out Sullivans site. I think right now I am more concerend about proper feeding that showing. This is the 4th year sowing.

Here's a good ration with some instructions along with it.

1. Calves should be fed twice a day, the same time each day. Optimum is 6:00am & 6:00pm.

2. Calves should be haltered and tied next to each other.... close enough to see each other eat, but far enough apart to not be able to reach one another's feed.

3. After 15 minutes, they should be pulled from their feed, and the feed cleaned up.
(this teaches them to eat all their food quickly. Sure comes in handy at shows)

4. Measure feed by pounds, not scoops. They should eat 10 - 15 pounds of feed, twice daily, depending on the size of the calf.

5. Make hay or pasture available year round. I recommend small area containment from morning feeding to evening feeding, rinsing, brushing and showmanship work.

6. Turn into larger area pasture with hay or grass for the night. Make sure there is plenty of room to exercise.

Now here is our ration, per ton

1200 lbs. cracked corn
400 lbs. cotton seed hulls
200 lbs. steam rolled oats
100 lbs. soy bean meal
100 lbs. molasses

I top dress each calf 1 oz. per feeding Moorman's #168AU medicated mineral. A quality mineral is essential. On the occasional need for a fat additive, I use Moorman's Natural Glo. This is a 100% extruded rice bran developed for Race Horses. 1 pound per head per day. It will increase muscle, hair & quality of hair coat.

No problem, I grabbed that off another forum. I think that ration is geared a little more toward heifers. On your steer, if it's possible, try and get him weighed a few times to make sure he is gaining right.

On your heifers, try feeding some beet pulp to fill them out more. Barley also helps to add smooth fat to them without pushing them hard on feed. I have also fed Healthy Coat which is a horse supplement for hair. That made the hair very shiny and workable.

Latest posts