Never underestimate the late breeder

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
I underestimated a cow. I thought she is bred for either late June or early July but she dropped a nice bull calf last night. Her last calf was born mid July last year and I weaned her older calf two months ago but she show no signs of having a calf soon (no bag and isn't springing out). I was shocked that she got bred almost immediately after she had her calf back in July.

Have one here as well, any day now. That will put her at about 310 days. Crazy that something makes them late to begin with but then can make up time like this.

Supa Dexta":28vrpuub said:
Have one here as well, any day now. That will put her at about 310 days. Crazy that something makes them late to begin with but then can make up time like this.
She probably heard me talking about culling the late breeders.

Always nice when they can catch back up like that. Glad she surprised you!

We had one calve a couple days ago that calved July 23rd last year. 290 days between calves - not bad. Most probably would've culled her, but if we have a late one we usually give them a shot at catching back up. If they don't make up minimum a month the next year, then they hit the road.

Edited - because my math really sucks tonight apparently haha

I had a deal with a heifer who's first calf was late.. August, but she raised it really well, second calf was july, this one will be either late may or early june.. I told her she better catch up, and she's been holding her end of the deal...

Meanwhile a high-headed 9 year old suddenly got late this year.. And for the last month or so she's become VERY friendly and docile... 2 strikes and you're out.. Late and High-headed will get you, so she worked on what she could... She went from being stupid and pretty distant to being a suck for attention and milkable... THAT is an improvement!

We had a heifer that the neighbors daughter showed at the various county fairs. AIed her but she didn;t settle. A couple days after the show season she came home and I AIed her and she settled. The next year she was the last to calve, the following year she was the second one to calve.

creekdrive":1aiyqk5z said:
We had one calve a couple days ago that calved July 23rd last year. 290 days between calves - not bad.

Not bad? Pretty incredible really, with a 280 some odd day gestation period. Even if it was a couple weeks early, she bred back fast. Have no idea when she was actually bred do you?

Supa Dexta":odnp0shx said:
creekdrive":odnp0shx said:
We had one calve a couple days ago that calved July 23rd last year. 290 days between calves - not bad.

Not bad? Pretty incredible really, with a 280 some odd day gestation period. Even if it was a couple weeks early, she bred back fast. Have no idea when she was actually bred do you?

No I don't have a clue. She was with a bull when she calved & hauled out to a different pasture with a different bull within a week. Not enough difference between sires to tell which one caught her. I would guess the bull that was in the pasture when she calved, but could go either way. I could tell she was going to make up a couple months time, but didn't expect quite that much. Have had probably 5 or so this year that have made up 2 months (+/- a week) and a quite a few more that gained at least a full cycle. I think quite often a good cow will usually get back on schedule if given the chance, and often they are never late again.

Nesikep":odnp0shx said:
Meanwhile a high-headed 9 year old suddenly got late this year.. And for the last month or so she's become VERY friendly and docile... 2 strikes and you're out.. Late and High-headed will get you, so she worked on what she could... She went from being stupid and pretty distant to being a suck for attention and milkable... THAT is an improvement!

It's odd how some will just become super tame out of nowhere. Obviously your girl heard you & decided to try and stay in your good books.

Latest posts