Never fails

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like everyone is doing a good job there. Except for the weatherman. Stong winds here last night that came from your direction. Power was out for 12 hours. But no snow here.

🤮🤮🤮 I know their supposed to, and I have a strong stomach. But I just can't stand to watch a cow eat after birth. Yuck!
Years ago, I saw a cow that was choking on afterbirth. She was normally a cow you would not get too close to. A little aggressive all the time and obviously had a new calf. She was choking and struggling. I ran up and grabbed a chunk of it and pulled out enough that she was able to get the rest down and returned to normal. We were both a little surprised. She offered no resistance. Only time I have ever seen that. Not sure she would have survived if I had not gotten involved.

Didn't get a pic of baby and mom this morning but both were doing great ! Calf is gray , not black like it looked in the pic . And a heifer !

Years ago, I saw a cow that was choking on afterbirth. She was normally a cow you would not get too close to. A little aggressive all the time and obviously had a new calf. She was choking and struggling. I ran up and grabbed a chunk of it and pulled out enough that she was able to get the rest down and returned to normal. We were both a little surprised. She offered no resistance. Only time I have ever seen that. Not sure she would have survived if I had not gotten involved.
I have seen a cow that choked to death on a placenta. To my knowledge, there's no scientific evidence that shows a benefit from eating it. I recommend taking them away when possible.

I have some that will eat their placenta and ones that will walk off and leave it . I try to get it because of buzzards and coyotes.

When we had our second daughter the nurse, who was an excellent nurse and from a middle eastern coutry, asked us if we wanted the placenta! I asked what on earth for, she said some people like to take them home to bury in garden or .......eat it! I decided then and there to never go around to any new parents home for cottage pie.

I still shudder at the thought.

Some cows have a nibble, others are determined to eat every last sinew. I had one nutty cow years ago that was dragging it around the paddock covered in mud flies and grass munching away on it.

Latest posts