net round bale vs string round bales

Help Support CattleToday:

wood2

Reaction score
What is the difference with netting vs string on your round bales? We use brown string easy to pull off when fed, neighbor uses nylon have to cut it off, those netted bales sure do look pretty sitting in a feild, don't know if they spoil on outside like some string bales or how hard net is to get off when fed? :shock:

Unless the bale is encrusted with ice/snow I find it easier to get "all" of the net off the bales then it is to get all of the string off. I alwasy seem to not be able to find one string when I cut them and end up having to dig around to find it. When I'm hauling it to feed, it seems like there is alwasy one string that is lose at one end and gets under the tractor tire and pulls a couple of wraps off the end of the bale.
String wrapped bales according to some tests that were done keep as well when stored outside as net wrapped if the strings are no more then 4 inches apart.
We jsy burn the string but the net I'll dump into spots that have erosion, throw some rock on top off and cover with the dirt. Stops the erosion. You can also wrap a bale faster then you can put the string aorund it, only one and ahalf turns with the net versus a whole bunch of turns to get the string on.
That's the way I see it anyway

the only bad thing i can think of about the netwrapp is it wont disentagrate over time.an just like the plastic twin it has tobe burnt.thats the only thing i hate about it.twine/plastic cost $20 to $24 a bundle.the rolls of netwrapp are $225 to $250 a roll.

wood2":mpinfh14 said:
What is the difference with netting vs string on your round bales? We use brown string easy to pull off when fed, neighbor uses nylon have to cut it off, those netted bales sure do look pretty sitting in a feild, don't know if they spoil on outside like some string bales or how hard net is to get off when fed? :shock:

We net all of the hay we bale for a couple reasons. I seem to think it doesn't spoil as much as twine rapped bales. It also takes a matter of seconds to wrap a bale as opposed waiting for a bale to tie in the baler. I can bale so much more hay in a day when netting vs wrapping. Haven't used the wrapper since we bought a baler with net wrap. As dun said, it is easier to get all of the net wrap off as opposed to twine, and it doesn't seem to come off the bale during transport and feeding.

I also have a bale bed on my pickup, and the twine bales are much harder to pick with it as opposed to net. We bought some twine wrapped bales that I couldn't pick up with my pickup. They kept wanting to fall apart, and they were good bales.

The only downside to net is ice. We had a bad ice storm in December, and trying to get the net off was a challenge. Usually pulled the top layer off with the net. Also run into this is you have snow on the bale, and get some thawing and refreezing. Does the same thing. A baseball bat against the ice does seem to help.

Since snow and ice normally is not a problem down here I love the net wrap. Not quiet as much spoilage and just keep a good sharp carpet knife on the tractor and drag it across the net real hard and it cuts everything easily...pull it off and set the bale down.

On the average, how many rolls ( 6X5 bales) can you get out of a roll of netwrap? Just trying to get a cost comparsion on net vs string tie
I get around 35 bales out of a box( 2 rolls of string).
Coop has a special going on on box of string (19.95) so fixing to go stock on om some. I am planning on my next baler to get netwrap. Some around here love it others hate it.

ive been hearing you can wrapp 100 bales more or less with a roll of netwrapp.an that comes to a cost of about $2.35 a bale more or less.

On the Vermeer website there is a chart comparing the costs.

I would try to post a link; but I'm pretty sure I would screw it up anyway and waste your time.

JRM":p9108v1o said:
On the average, how many rolls ( 6X5 bales) can you get out of a roll of netwrap? Just trying to get a cost comparsion on net vs string tie
I get around 35 bales out of a box( 2 rolls of string).
Coop has a special going on on box of string (19.95) so fixing to go stock on om some. I am planning on my next baler to get netwrap. Some around here love it others hate it.

We have a Deere 567 cover edge wrap, but the net wrap through John Deere dealer. They are $200 for a roll of net wrap, and we get around 150-160 bales of hay when putting 2 full wraps on. We put 2 wraps on all of our grass hay, and it comes to about $1.25/bale. When we bale alfalfa we put 3 wraps on, staw 4 wraps.

bandit80":2ksogbpu said:
We put 2 wraps on all of our grass hay, and it comes to about $1.25/bale. When we bale alfalfa we put 3 wraps on, staw 4 wraps.

4 wraps on straw... why so much wraps. For the last five years, we bale an average of 2000 bales of straw with 2 wraps. We store them on the ground.

We run a JD using netwrap. Buying the cover-edge wrap from the JD dealer, and it normally costs $1.25 - $1.50 per roll to wrap.

In my opinion, easier to remove than string, but the real advantage is speed in the field.

I can roll/wrap 2 bales with netwrap in the same time that it takes to roll/string 1.

Think about that when the rain clouds are rolling in.... :)

Latest posts