Neighbors Crazy Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
I need answers on this wild cow. Our neighbors cow got into our pasture and it won't leave. We have tried to load it up a couple times but it jumps out or it will bust through the beginning funnel of our corral. The neighbor has no real interest in it and has given us three WHOLE bales of hay for keeping it through the winter. (sarcasim) We have tried to work her back through the fence she came through, but this cow is smart and will charge you any chance she gets. I am afraid someone might get hurt messing with her too much. I had to get into a full sprint and bale out over a fence to avoid her, and that is not a pretty sight. What are the legalities of this and any other options would be useful?
We get along with this neighbor pretty well, so we would like to keep it civil. He just lives far away and shows no real interest to come and get her.

JMO, FWIW...

1. Take digital photos (with a date stamp feature) of any damage as well as the cow on your property.
2. Keep a log of any of your hay and/or damage the cow does (along with your costs).
3. Contact the local Sheriff and report this cow is "tresspassing" and you want it removed.

If the owner shows no interest and is an absentee owner...well...do what you need to do to get the animal off your property and don't worry about it...

Repeat #3, especially asap.

Good luck.

Maybe she could "accidentally" die! You could ring the neighbour, "Sorry mate, but your cow must've hit the corral fence at the wrong angle and broke her neck. We buried her down the back." Is that naughty??

You just need a Cowboy.......I'm sure if the neighbor does not want him I would load her up and take her to the auction.

We had one like that, too - or at least our neighbor did. She'd run through 6 strands of barbed wire like it was nothing to join our cows. We eventually bought her off the neighbor and had to call a guy with a dart gun to get her simmered down enough to get her on the trailer.
Once she's off the trailer at the sale barn, drive away and let them mail you the check.

". Contact the local Sheriff and report this cow is "tresspassing" and you want it removed.

If the owner shows no interest and is an absentee owner...well...do what you need to do to get the animal off your property and don't worry about it..." FROM ABOVE POST

I don't want to start a war over this, but I was thinking about offering a cheap price for her and see what he says. Another thing is that he doesn't run a bull at his place and he is using our bull to get her pregnant. No to mention that we have lost two bulls over the past 6 years becasue they get their thingy tangled jumping the fence to get to his open cows.

Red Bull Breeder":1v4nbw2x said:
Cut the fence and run all of your cows over on him. Then bring your cows home.
I agree with red bull.Call your local sale barn,surley they know of someone with a tranqulizer gun.

Well, you want to be civil? Does that mean you don't want to talk to him? I've seen a few of these situations posted lately, and it appears that there are people willing to take advantage of those who don't want to "make waves". Have you even discussed options with him?

I would call him and say just what you told us. The cow is crazy and you have been charged, and you want her gone within 2 days. Given him options. He can come get her, or you can shoot her. His choice.

Obviously if a cow is charging you and threatening your life, you have the right to shoot her. I would have done that already, and would have dragged her carcass over to his property and tell him that you brought his cow back.

Many ways to handle , key is to talk to the neighbor. We have one like that. He won't even try to fix the fences. We have four strand of Barb wire and a hot wire that his cows have learned to respect. We spend lots of money keeping grass for our cows he chooses not too so he expects losses. The hot wire keeps his cows where they are supposed to be. It also helps keep the bulls where they should be. If your neighbor won't sell her then I would take the advice and shoot her. Especially if she has charged you. Main thing tell him about her charging you. That cannot be tolerated at anytime on your own ground. Good luck.

Yep, bad situation. Me thinks if you are making a reasonable effort to keep what you want in your pasture and whatever you don't want in your pasture out, (don't care what fence laws are) if you can't talk to them reasonably or get any action on their part or local law enforcement, I'd send a certified letter stating the demeanor of the cow and your safety concerns to him, the sheriff, county DA and maybe even the Judge stating that you are going to give the cow lead poisoning after 10 days if not removed and if it is removed, the next time you find it on your side of the fence. I'll bet your safety will trump his "why did you shoot my pet cow" provided you have witnesses and documentation to back up your story.

djinwa":3924ppqq said:
...I would call him and say just what you told us. The cow is crazy and you have been charged, and you want her gone within 2 days. Given him options. He can come get her, or you can shoot her. His choice.

Obviously if a cow is charging you and threatening your life, you have the right to shoot her. I would have done that already, and would have dragged her carcass over to his property and tell him that you brought his cow back.

Cow does that to me, the cow gets wheels under her. If she doesn't load up, she dies of lead poisoning.

We had a extra calf one year. Talked to the neighbor that borders our land and he said that he had brought 4 calves and when he put them in his field they ran away. Four months later he shows up to collect this calf. No mention of payment for vaccines or feed. He was drunk and accused us of stealing the other 3. Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and sell the animal. Since your neighbor knows that the cow is on your place I would do like someone said offer him a price and than sell the animal. The animal can not help that it belongs to a irresponsible person. We had a cow that would act up when put in the lot if you tried to separate her to vaccine. So when we got ready to sell her we put her in with a group that we were selling and she went in the trailer without trouble. Whatever you do document what you can and be careful people have gotten killed over situations like this.

ScottyB":34ji0oon said:
I need answers on this wild cow. Our neighbors cow got into our pasture and it won't leave. We have tried to load it up a couple times but it jumps out or it will bust through the beginning funnel of our corral. The neighbor has no real interest in it and has given us three WHOLE bales of hay for keeping it through the winter. (sarcasim) We have tried to work her back through the fence she came through, but this cow is smart and will charge you any chance she gets. I am afraid someone might get hurt messing with her too much. I had to get into a full sprint and bale out over a fence to avoid her, and that is not a pretty sight. What are the legalities of this and any other options would be useful?
We get along with this neighbor pretty well, so we would like to keep it civil. He just lives far away and shows no real interest to come and get her.

Call the sheriff and have her impounded enough is enough, I would have one final conversation with man to man
If he is any kind of man at all he will reclaim and be responsible for his cow if he had to shoot it to get out of your pasture

Sec. 142.003. DISCOVERY OF ESTRAY; NOTICE.
(a) If an estray, without being herded with other livestock, roams about the property of a person without that person's permission or roams about public property, the owner of the private property or the custodian of the public property, as applicable, shall, as soon as reasonably possible, report the presence of the estray to the sheriff of the county in which the estray is discovered.
(b) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this section that an estray has been discovered on private property, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known, that the estray's location has been reported.
(c) After receiving a report under Subsection (a) of this section that an estray has been discovered on public property, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall notify the owner, if known, that the estray's location has been reported, except that if the sheriff or his designee determines that the estray is dangerous to the public, he may immediately impound the estray without notifying the owner. If the owner does not immediately remove the estray, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall proceed with the impoundment process prescribed by Section 142.009 of this code.

Amended by Acts 1987, 70th Leg., ch. 51, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1987.

Sec. 142.004. REDEMPTION.
(a) The owner of the estray may redeem the estray from the owner or occupant of private property by the payment of fees and damages as provided by this chapter.
(b) If the owner of the estray does not redeem the estray within a reasonable time after notification, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee shall, at the request of the property owner, proceed immediately with the impoundment process prescribed by Section 142.009 of this code. During that period, the estray may not be used for any purpose by the owner or occupant of the property.

Sec. 142.005. COLLECTION FEE.
(a) If the sheriff or the sheriff's designee is present at the time of the collection of the estray, the sheriff or the sheriff's designee may require the owner of the estray to pay before the estray is removed a collection fee in an amount set by the sheriff not to exceed $25.
(b) A person who disagrees with the amount of the fee set by the sheriff under Subsection (a) of this section may petition the justice court in the manner provided by Section 142.007 of this code and may appeal the justice court decision as provided by Section 142.008 of this code.

Sec. 142.006. AMOUNT OF REDEMPTION PAYMENT.
(a) A person on whose property an estray is found is entitled to receive from the owner of the estray the payment of a reasonable amount for maintenance and damages, if the original notice of the discovery of the estray was given to the sheriff not later than the fifth day after the date of discovery.
(b) The owner of the property may:
(1) accept payment in an agreed amount from the owner of the estray; or
(2) file a petition under Section 142.007 of this code in the justice court having jurisdiction and have the amount of the payment determined by the justice of the peace.
(c) If the owner of the property files a petition under Subdivision (2) of Subsection (b) of this section, the owner of the estray is entitled to remove the estray.

Had a steer that decided to move to the neighbors woods and ride his cows. The neighbor had no corral nor load out facility... Offered to let a different hobby horse neighbor practice his cowboy skills but he said no. Thought about a portable corral, but decided to try to bring the steer home with the wife, her grain bucket, paddle in my hand, and a slung .280 Rem on my back. In the end he came home hang'in from the loader tractor. I have never had one get away. :banana:

I dont know how right or legal this is..but Id send a certified letter to this cow's owner, stating he has X number of days to remove his cow from your pasture..after X number of days is up, get some cowboys to load her up, haul her to the sale and be done with it..

or shoot the beach..

spinandslide":c7v3afhg said:
I dont know how right or legal this is..but Id send a certified letter to this cow's owner, stating he has X number of days to remove his cow from your pasture..after X number of days is up, get some cowboys to load her up, haul her to the sale and be done with it..

or shoot the beach..
Sell her in the owners name and have the sale barn pay the cowboy to catch and load the cow. That way you can not be accused of rustling.

BC":z2cisswq said:
spinandslide":z2cisswq said:

or shoot the beach..
Sell her in the owners name and have the sale barn pay the cowboy to catch and load the cow. That way you can not be accused of rustling.

That's not legal in Texas that will get you arrested for rustling. The only recourse you have is to notify the Sheriff and let him impound the animal. Texas law is very specific on what you can do with estray's.

Latest posts