neighbor's cows

Help Support CattleToday:

meboyles

Reaction score
I am seeking some advise here, my neighbor's cows are always out running on someone else's pasture or even their corn fields. Several times I've called him and helped him get them back home, but the last time I called him he was upset at me for calling. Earlier this summer his bull came through to my pasture and instead of calling him I fixed the fence and waited to see if he would call me, two weeks later I took his bull home called him and left a message he never returned my call. Now his bull is back in my pasture and has been for 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for a call. Not sure if I should open the gate and let the bull wonder the neighborhood, load him up and take him home, take him to market or call to have him come get his bull? What would you guys do?

meboyles":u5wy2q4b said:
I am seeking some advise here, my neighbor's cows are always out running on someone else's pasture or even their corn fields. Several times I've called him and helped him get them back home, but the last time I called him he was upset at me for calling. Earlier this summer his bull came through to my pasture and instead of calling him I fixed the fence and waited to see if he would call me, two weeks later I took his bull home called him and left a message he never returned my call. Now his bull is back in my pasture and has been for 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for a call. Not sure if I should open the gate and let the bull wonder the neighborhood, load him up and take him home, take him to market or call to have him come get his bull? What would you guys do?

What state are you in?

He's an ugly no butted big headed cross bred that is almost three years old and half the size of my 5 year old angus.

I'd be tempted to take him to the market. I can't stand people who don't mind their business.

We had 2 calves get loose and some neighbors trapped them in their feed lot. After going to get them I sent them a gift certificate to go out to eat "on us" for their trouble. Accidents happen but this neighbor isn't being very neighborly if he won't fix the dang fence to keep HIS animal in. You did your part the first time by taking it home. My 2 cents.

meboyles":17t668v8 said:

Can't help you there in Texas you could get the county stockman or sheriff to immpound the animal.
I don't know about Missouri but in Texas if you haul him to the salebarn you can be charged with cattle theft.

Call the county sheriff. If they are out in what the sheriff feels is an excessive amount or he feels like the owner hasn't made a reasonable effort to contain them, he will write them a ticket.

One of the guys I work with had goats that kept escaping, the sheriff put a note on his door saying if they were out one more time he'd be citied. Strange how he found time to get the fence fixed right then. :D

Castrate him, send him home. Don't say a word. Do what everyone else in the world does, take him to court. There was a bull getting loose around here a few years back, ended up disappearing, no one knows what happened to him.
???????

I agree with Caustic. Call the sheriff's department, and see if they can impound the animal. Do NOT take him to the sale.

In many states, cattle russling laws haven't changed in decades. Last I heard in Louisiana it's still right up there with armed robbery. Do not sell it!

Call the sheriff and after a period of time, he can sell the bull on the court house steps. Document your expenses!! All of them, fence, feed, pasture, anything else.

I've had the same problems you are having. If the law is not any help, as they are not here, don't ask.

We went through this in the spring and it got ugly. Neighbor was upset with us calling him every day. I was upset with rebulding fence every day. Turns out he already had animals impounded from another location in the county. He wasn't buying any hay because it was too expensive. We should have called the law long before we did. His cows wanted in my wheat even if they had to circle the entire pasture and go through 4 other neighbors to get there.

Document, document, document.

Call sheriff, have citations written, and sue in small claims court for damages.

You need to be as big of a pain in the donkey as possible.

grannysoo":33ng2te0 said:
Document, document, document.

Call sheriff, have citations written, and sue in small claims court for damages.

You need to be as big of a pain in the donkey as possible.
Everything that was just stated by grannysoo. We just went thru all of this mess.
This big black angus would walk up to the fences. Put his head under the bottom strand. And pull everything out of the ground. The guy that owned him would never answer the phone.
Hubby got buckshot after the bull. Chased his about 2 miles down the road. Next morning the bull was back.Tore another big hole thru the fence. Called the sheriff and they ran him out.
He would not answer the door when the sheriff went over to his house. Fine,told us do what you have to do.
We didn't see the bull for a few a days. Figured the guy hauled him off or whatever. Then last week hubby came in and said he saw the bull in another neighbors place. I gave them a call and that dog gone bull just about killed their bull. Called the sheriff again. They came out took pictures of their bull.
The sheriff went back to the guys house and talked to his wife. She was told, Do something with their bull.
It's been a week or so and nobody is talking about that bull. The buzzards have really been thick over at the neighbors, so I don't know.

It seems that you have bent over backwards trying to be a good neighbor....Time for that bull to catch a case of terminal lead poison

houstoncutter":m8wbhyu3 said:
It seems that you have bent over backwards trying to be a good neighbor....Time for that bull to catch a case of terminal lead poison

Again in Texas you would be buying a bull you didn't want.
Also got to remember a 25 pound bag of Amdro in your feed trough and your out of business.
The only way to handle deals like this is through the law.
Stock laws in Texas are strict about what you can and can't do with trespassing animals.

Latest posts