Neighbor's Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3tiqmwh0 said:
Like the saying goes... its not his fault for doing it... its her fault for offering. ;-)

You should really have a buffer between your heifers and bulls. I'v seen quite a few people with hot wire 5-10 yds off the regular fence to keep the heifers from backing up to the fence like that.
These were mature dairy cattle. He was only in the adjacent pasture because we wanted him breeding the cattle in that group. This old gal just seemed pretty determined to seduce him.

All of which makes me really question that "closed heard" mentality. Must not have neighbors within hundreds of miles.

Expecting a good bull to stay on his side of a "brush covered 4 wire fence" is just not realistic. I have a neighbor with a very aggressive Jersey dairy bull on the other side of an older 5 wire fence.

I grubbed out the fence and with neighbor's permission put a hot wire on 5" standoffs on both sides of fence. So far no problems. He does stand there and bellow when my cattle are in the adjacent pasture but when he gets anywhere close to that 8-9 kv fence he backs off.

Yes it takes some work but it is not impossible to deal with. jmho.

Jim

my friend has all brangus cows and a brangus bull. had a gray calf.he said couldn't remember having one out or anything in his field?????? she jumped out and came back to her calf they never knew, till......be sure your sins will find you out. that calf was the best one that year, a little hybrid vigor.

Latest posts