Neighbor's Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

DRSCfarm

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered a situation where a neighbor's bull breeds one of your cows? My heifer is due any day now, but once she has calved I am not planning on breeding her until at least January. On 3 sides of our property there are 3 sets of cows and bulls. Should I be worried that she might get bred by a neighbor's bull? The fencing is 4 strands of barbed wire and brush covering a majority of the fence line. Thank you!

I once had a red and white polled calf out of a solid red horned cow. At the time i had three bulls, one red, one grey, one red, all solid colour all horned. It might happen...

kenny thomas":282k56hs said:
If she comes in heat, yes she will probably get bred by a neighbors bull. A 4 strand fence is not much unless it is hot.
:nod:

if you dont want her bred to your neighbors bulls its best to put her in a corral,that nothing can get in or out of.

bigbull338":v3ss5x8u said:
if you dont want her bred to your neighbors bulls its best to put her in a corral,that nothing can get in or out of.

yep...

Bull's develop super-bovine abilities when there is a cow in heat..My neighbor's bull got in with my cows..he scaled a 6 strand barbed wire fence and didnt have a mark on him..and the fence was still standing..dont know how the sucker did it..but he did.

I had a gomer null for a while, Jersey, He from standing still jump 5 1/2 foot tall fence stopped looked at me and walk off. You can count on her getting bred, if you think she does just give her shot of lute,

Sounds like all of you folks need to sell your bulls, install a gate and leave it open for your neighbors bull! :lol2: :D

Farmerjon":2ig2asfb said:
Sounds like all of you folks need to sell your bulls, install a gate and leave it open for your neighbors bull! :lol2: :D
A firend of the wife pretty much does that. They've never had a bull but all of their cows get bred every year. Calves look like a box of crayons but they're at least calves (in some cases that's the most you can say for them)

thommoos":2p9tiypf said:
I had a gomer null for a while, Jersey, He from standing still jump 5 1/2 foot tall fence stopped looked at me and walk off. You can count on her getting bred, if you think she does just give her shot of lute,
Had a young, horny holstein bull that apparently the cows really loved. Saw one back up to a fence and he bred her thru the fence. Course when he landed he had to pull his legs out of the wire..Luckily it didn't hurt his breeding equipment.

TennesseeTuxedo":3h9quodf said:
Every dad-gummed day I visit this forum you all give me one more thing to fret over. Rogue bulls impregnating your stock through the fence no less. What's next? :hide:

Yep, had a horny cow of mine backed up to the fence and the bull bred her, through the fence. Wish I would have thought to give her a shot of lut.

TennesseeTuxedo":3v7hh2ru said:
Every dad-gummed day I visit this forum you all give me one more thing to fret over. Rogue bulls impregnating your stock through the fence no less. What's next? :hide:

Put yourself in his position. What would you have done?? :cowboy:

Like the saying goes... its not his fault for doing it... its her fault for offering. ;-)

You should really have a buffer between your heifers and bulls. I'v seen quite a few people with hot wire 5-10 yds off the regular fence to keep the heifers from backing up to the fence like that.

These situations can all be avoided with polled cattle. :2cents: :bs: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Latest posts