Neighbor needs to fix fence - Any advice??

Help Support CattleToday:

TNcowman

Reaction score
I have a new neighbor that bought the land beside me and built a house last year. He is running goats in a field beside us and I run cattle. After a storm late last year, one of his trees damaged a small portion of the fence that divides our property. It is part of my pasture that I have cattle only a couple of times a year, so it has not been a problem. He said something to me in passing one day that he did not know how to mend the fence. I told him I was sure he could figure it out or he could hire someone. He changed the subject and then left. We have a good relationship (go to the same church) but I need the fence repaired before the end of next month. Should I just fix it myself (2-3 hours worth of work and 20 ft of barbed and page wire)and move on or say something to him. Don't want to create bad blood but.....Any advice?

Sounds like if you want it fixxed, you'd better get after it. doesnt seem to bother him that it's been down for a yr.

Actually, I'd prob invite him over for a cold one and tell him lets spend the afternoon fixxing fence this Sunday. If he doesnt know how, then he'll prob appreciate the chance to learn how. If he doesnt show up, then you know he doesnt care about it.

He should fix it since it was his tree that fell on it. Doesn't look like that is going to happen. I agree with eric-invite him to help you. Don't ask if he wants to-say something like that fence needs to be fixed and I need help, can you come over (whatever day you think he will come) and lets get it done.

thats what id do..whaddya doin after church sunday bud?? feel like givin me hand with the fence yer tree fell on...ill buy ya a cold one when were done...if he makes excuses shoot all his goats!! :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would just fix it, 20 feet of fence isn't enough to fuss about.

A long time ago, 30 plus years, my dad had just moved to his place and was doing some work and dropped a tree on the new neighbors fence.
He had to finish what he was doing and was going to go fix it.
A few minutes later the neighbor drove up and wanted to know if we was gonna fix the fence. Dad said he was getting ready to do it now. He was loading up the tools in the truck. The guy said good, he was just checking.
When we got down there he had already fixed the fence, he was just making sure we was willing.
Always thought that was kind of funny. He didn't say a thing about it, ever.

Dan

Sounds like he was asking you for help and to teach him when he mentioned in passing. He might be too embarassed to ask outright for help for what should be a simple task.

Ryder":10hzek9d said:
Take the high road, fix the fence and move on.
I agree - but I'd also mention to him at church next Sunday when you will be there fixing the fence - and perhaps he will show up for a fence mending lesson - you might just make him a better neighbor if you show him how to do it correctly

63DH8":2523lp2m said:
Sounds like he was asking you for help and to teach him when he mentioned in passing. He might be too embarassed to ask outright for help for what should be a simple task.

That was my first thought also. When we bought our place a few years back I didn't know if the fence on the line between my neighbors and ours was ours or theirs. I had to go ask before I made changes. He said it was on the line but it was ours. Maybe the new neighbor is unsure if it is his or yours, but at any rate I think he was looking for a fix to the problem. I think the ball is in your court, as stated take the high road.

Alan

63DH8":ix2fcu19 said:

I agree. Sounds like the perfect time to be neighborly and teach him how to mend fences. Maybe next time he won't need your help but then again maybe not. If not, then you'll know what he's made of.

You could take him out there and show him how to reapir a fence and you guys could do it together. and you could slpit the cost or something.

You could take him out there and show him how to reapir a fence and you guys could do it together. and you could slpit the cost or something.

63DH8":3eio03sz said:

Good to see you posting again 63DH8.
And you are right on in this one. Good fences make good neighbours and far as I am concerned visa versa.

( Good luck with the goats TNcowman!! ). :lol: :lol:

We had a similar situation last fall. Our side adjoins our neighbor and they pasture their horses in the winter. We want to move our cows over (lots of grass) but knew the fences would not hold. Neighbor is not interested in any upkeep since horses are not getting out. We replaced about 100' of barb wire (6 strands). We had to cut lots of trees and scrub from the fence line. They told us we could access the fence from their side, but they never came out and offered to help or anything. We left the brush piles on their side of the fence. Probably not the nicest thing to do, but felt it was fair since it was our labor and materials.

Texas does have the 50/50 law, but it was not worth making a fuss. There is still another 3-400 feet that will need to be replaced. We will see what happens when we start on that again.

General consensus seems that he was asking for help in learning how to fence. Give a man a fish and feed him for the day., teach him to fish and feed him for life.

if your gonna run cattle in there just fix the fence.whats the big deal.sounds like both of you are just lazy.............tc

I have a lot of trees along my perimeter fence line so I make a habit to check them after every storm. Last year found a large dead tree on neighbors side had fell across the fence. Went back to the shop, got my chainsaw and fence supplies, cut the tree up - left what fell on my side on my side. Fixed the fence and went on about my business. Assume the neighbor would have done the same if he had found it first. This is just the way it's done in my area - no fuss, cuss or blame - just part of the responsibility of ownership. I would be surprised if something like this became an issue between neighbors.

Latest posts