Neglected pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

wtexasfam

Reaction score
Moved to our new place in Fisher Co, TX; the pasture has been taken over by Mother Nature (and with vengeance I might ad) now I would like to make this a productive pasture and run a few heads. The soil is (some) gypsum and red clay??? Broomweed everywhere, mesquite, saltcedar, etc what can I do to get this pasture to be somewhat productive I don't expect overnight miracles so … where do I go from here? What kind of herbicide? Fertilizer? Working on getting the soil tested.

the first thing you need todo is shredd the pasture.an clear all the brush you dont want in the pasture.an its a good idea to get a soil sample.do you know what kind of grass is growing in the pasture.

Depending on the size of the mesquite you may want to start with a root plow. If you do not get rid of it it will continue to be a problem. You will not even be able to drive your pasture. If you shred you only hide the problem.
After dozer work go to herbicide and planting the forage of your choice.
If the mesquite is large enough it makes beautiful lumber. If it is not it makes great Bar-B-Que.
Talk to your county agent. He should also have a Brushbusters pamphlet to give you that helps a great deal.
http://texnat.tamu.edu/brshbst/mesquite/mesquite.htm

Assume you mean "Fischer" County, a little NW of Abilene.

Given the vegetation you mentioned, I assume your soil pH is around 7.0 to 8.0 which is alkaline. Most any warm season pasture/range grass would work. Broomweed is a clear sign of an over-grazed pasture. Mesquite, etc., indicative of "natural selection", etc., lol.

Get soil test. Consult with ag experts as to best way to improve and/or re-establish pasture. Your geographic area is probably in the 20-25" year of natural rainfall on average.

Common bermudagrass, buffalograss, sideoats grama, bluestem, and other related range grasses would probably work. Forget any high moisture requirement grasses. Any re-seeding will probably take couple of years or so to get decent establishment. Also, the "native" type grasses do not need much (if any) supplemental fertilizer.

Clear out and/or minimize any noxious vegetation. Probably use a no-till grass drill before a rain is forecast...probably looking at mid to late March thru May for any seeding. Let it rain at least once, then seed just before the next rain expected.

There is also a good market for Mesquite wood...BBQ places, mesquite wood for crafts and such. Mesquite is a VERY hard wood that is very colorful. Mesquite wood will do a number on chain saw chains...have several sharpened, re-sharpen in rotation.

Running Arrow Bill":2bvanflf said:

No, they meant "Fisher" County, a little NW of Abilene. I live next door in Jones County, and have never seen it spelled with a "c" in Fisher.

birdog":2v0yhguf said:
Running Arrow Bill":2v0yhguf said:

No, they meant "Fisher" County, a little NW of Abilene. I live next door in Jones County, and have never seen it spelled with a "c" in Fisher.

Sorry, the way that came across. No offense. :)

birdog wrote:

Running Arrow Bill wrote:

Sorry, the way that came across. No offense.

None taken, appreciate the advise thank you

Latest posts