need y'alls opinion on bull calf weight

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve":9l4f82wt said:
3way, I have to hand it to you. I keep this site up in my truck almost non-stop every day and your posts never fail to make me chuckle. If you ever get out of the cattle biz, you may try comedic writing. I too was intrigued by the bottle feeding of a 9 mo. bull.

:tiphat: A lot of folks think I am funny..........most of the time my wife is not among that group! She just got a new Pomerianian puppy and named him Frosty...I named him Chico Gonzales Guido Baciagalupe. She is not amused :cowboy:

Jw>>> Not fiction>>>>>>>> honest. I would post a pic with saddle on him if I knew how to upload to this site. Oh well, guess if you don't believe me that's OK.

Just email the Picture to 3 way and he can post it for ya. 3way, send the poster yer email. Id like to see this

I'm new on here so who is 3 way>>> know 7 way vac... LOL
Finally got my avatar uploaded but still don't know how to post pic on message.
Thanks for your help. Jean

Loner":paz1396m said:

You should have a picture of him with his tennis shoes on. That way when he decides to stomp the livin shyt out of you it won't hurt so bad.

expensive hobby":1tyvufjz said:
Loner- why would you want to bottle feed a calf for 9 months. He really would not require it much past 4 mos or so.

Maybe for the same reason some women breast feed their kids until they are 4 or 5 .

I am not going to make light of having a bull as a pet, eventually he will show you who's boss and you will get hurt. How badly is hard to say, depends on luck mostly. Guess you feel lucky .

expensive hobby":3sypt0cq said:
Loner- why would you want to bottle feed a calf for 9 months. He really would not require it much past 4 mos or so.

I know I didn't need to bottle feed him that long. I'm not as stupid as you are implying. But that is OK what you think. Your opinion is still valuable.

3waycross":39argnn4 said:
Loner":39argnn4 said:

You should have a picture of him with his tennis shoes on. That way when he decides to stomp the livin shyt out of you it won't hurt so bad.

So true>> maybe when I get him some I will send you a picture after I'm dead.And haunt the shyt out of you.
Why do people have to be so stupid and mean all about having a pet they think I shouldn't have. It's really OK tho as you can have your opinion cause they are like a holes>>> everyone has one. :?

hillsdown":1djnmfrl said:
expensive hobby":1djnmfrl said:

Maybe for the same reason some women breast feed their kids until they are 4 or 5 .

I am not going to make light of having a bull as a pet, eventually he will show you who's boss and you will get hurt. How badly is hard to say, depends on luck mostly. Guess you feel lucky .

Nobody asked you to make light of anything. I do know how mean bulls can be and that they can maul you and stomp on you. Been there, done that. No not fun at all. The way I look at it is it's my life and my body and me taking the chance. Been around them my entire life. I do appreciate all you guys getting in an uproar about this tho. How did I know you would :cboy:

As far as why I'm still giving him a half cup of milk in a bottle of water once a day is because I thought (mind you I said thought) it might keep him nice a little longer. And it has so far. I know the testosterone will kick in sooner than later and he will most likely get mean and I will respect him when that happens.
Have lots of cows to turn him out with.

Now guys, if you can't give me some constructive BS then please keep it to yourself. Yes, it is constructive to say I would get hurt but you don't have to be and AH about it. :bang:

OK... I like my replacement heifers to be 650+ at 205 days, bulls, if I keep one, will usually be 725 or so at the same age... That being said, I have fairly large framed animals (1500-1700 lbs mature), and good pastures, though we can have high temps (90+ from may to sept).

Then about bulls, I want them to be docile and not get excited about anything, whether they're actually tame, that's another question alltogether. The last bull calf I kept is now about 20 months old, 1500 lbs, and whenever he comes up to me for a scratching, I'll only give his hind end any attention.. NEVER PET THEIR HEAD OR NECK!... I've kinda trained him that if he wants attention, to turn his butt toward me to get it. I don't give him much attention, a couple pats on the back at feeding time will do.. once in a while he'll come around and sniff my boots. I figure if I wanted to I could ride him. I regret cutting my steer from last year, 940 lbs at 270 days, docile, well conformed and ridable... I'll have to get a pic of that

Just be careful with your bull calf, don't turn your back on him and watch his body language

Loner":1rcc9tce said:
expensive hobby":1rcc9tce said:

I know I didn't need to bottle feed him that long. I'm not as stupid as you are implying. But that is OK what you think. Your opinion is still valuable.

I'm not implying that you are stupid, its just not necessary. But you did answer my question. You are feeding him to keep him use to you. Your idea is understandable, just not necessary. You can keep that bulls attention with feed or cubes and really do not need to be offering him a bottle. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and only my opinion. So take it for what its worth. Its only a matter of time and he is going to light you up. When you are all broken up and crippled, who is going to tend to your cows? That is if you make it through. Hopefully you'll be alive to give us a follow up post about how to survive a azz beating from a bull. Its you life, but its just not smart and borders on suicide. These folks on here are just trying to help you to avoid a big problem....not make fun of you.

expensive hobby":1cluoxg7 said:
Loner":1cluoxg7 said:
expensive hobby":1cluoxg7 said:

I'm not implying that you are stupid, its just not necessary. But you did answer my question. You are feeding him to keep him use to you. Your idea is understandable, just not necessary. You can keep that bulls attention with feed or cubes and really do not need to be offering him a bottle. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and only my opinion. So take it for what its worth. Its only a matter of time and he is going to light you up. When you are all broken up and crippled, who is going to tend to your cows? That is if you make it through. Hopefully you'll be alive to give us a follow up post about how to survive a azz beating from a bull. Its you life, but its just not smart and borders on suicide. These folks on here are just trying to help you to avoid a big problem....not make fun of you.

Thank you so much for your opinion and for being civil about it. I really have been around several 2000 lb. bulls with cows for many years and I never completely trust them.I know better than that as I've been slammed into by one while on a horse and also run up a fence or whatever many times by them or a protective cow. I do know the danger and I appreciate your thoughts.
I'm just trying a different approach with him but believe me, I won't turn my back on him.
Thanks so much. :D

Nesikep":2kz8lrv9 said:
OK... I like my replacement heifers to be 650+ at 205 days, bulls, if I keep one, will usually be 725 or so at the same age... That being said, I have fairly large framed animals (1500-1700 lbs mature), and good pastures, though we can have high temps (90+ from may to sept).

Then about bulls, I want them to be docile and not get excited about anything, whether they're actually tame, that's another question alltogether. The last bull calf I kept is now about 20 months old, 1500 lbs, and whenever he comes up to me for a scratching, I'll only give his hind end any attention.. NEVER PET THEIR HEAD OR NECK!... I've kinda trained him that if he wants attention, to turn his butt toward me to get it. I don't give him much attention, a couple pats on the back at feeding time will do.. once in a while he'll come around and sniff my boots. I figure if I wanted to I could ride him. I regret cutting my steer from last year, 940 lbs at 270 days, docile, well conformed and ridable... I'll have to get a pic of that

Just be careful with your bull calf, don't turn your back on him and watch his body language

Thank you so much for your advice. I appreciate it. Up to this date he has been very good and hasn't shown any temper. I have rode him with a saddle twice now and he has never attempted to buck. I don't want to ride him very much as he will get swayback. He always comes to me when I call him and I brush him every day. No, I will never trust him completely as I know what they can do. I will keep you updated on how he is doing.
Thanks again and have a great day.

PS>> I do have pics of him with saddle on and a couple with me on him but I still don't know how to upload pics on this board.

Latest posts