Need some horse advice.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
Hate to ask this on a cattle board, but I know some of you guys and gals run horses too. We have 42 acres of rolling terrain. There are a few mature trees, but mostly coastal. We have a 1/2 acre pond and seasonal creek.

My wife and I would like a horse or two, but we're typically only able to get to the land on weekends. No problem with the cows, but what about horses? We've been looking at some horses that aren't kept in a barn.

Would horses be okay for that length of time on their own or do we need to be there on a daily basis? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas to all and particularly the folks at the ACLU! :D

bobr,

There is a horse talk board on the bottom of cattle today. I wouldn't think that horses would have any problems. They do like company, but if you put a couple that shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't leave a halter on them, as they could get it caught while you weren't there.

What are you going to use the horses for (if anything)? Horses can be just as hearty as cattle, but there are a few breeds that are known for requiring more care. the thoroughbred, for example, isn't necessarily a horse that I would leave out to fend for itself in possible harsh conditions.

Planning to use them mainly for recreational riding. Might be able to use them with the cows somewhat. We're looking at American Quarter horses. They are currently being run in a pasture, but the owners live there. I tried to go to the horse
pages, but couldn't get the forum to work. Thanks for the advice.

You won't have any problem with quarter horses being in the "elements".

Many quarter horses have a "cow sense" to them, and will play games with cows, rounding them up and such. I have a paint gelding that does that. If you put the horses with the cows you really want to be sure that they will not chase the cows. Not that cows can't use exercise, but if you only come by on the weekend, you might not have any cows or horses to come back to. (A cow horse can easily intimidate a cow enough to make them go through just about any kind of fence).

By the way, you might want to think about insurance for the livestock. No I'm not a salesman, but if a cow or horse gets out and someone driving buy hits it, you have an instant lawsuit. I pay ~$250/year for all of my cattle and horses.

Plan on keeping the horses separate from the cows, and you shouldn't have any problems. They're just as likely as cattle to get into something if you're not around, but that's a risk you run with any livestock.

Depends on the horses more than the breed in my book. A horse can go through or over a fence easier than a cow. I wouldn't want a $20,000 horse left alone. In fact it would probably stay in the house with me. Now an old cracker horse, he can live anywhere unattended. I never had problem doing this but then I had good neighbors around the farm. Only did it for short while though. I ran horses with cattle in the same fields for many years. Only had one horse that didn't like cows so I kept him separated.

Hey Bob, I am running Quater Horses (2) with my cattle, and all intermingle freely. My Horses do not chase my cattle, but the lead Gelding is Pasture Boss over everybody, including my Charlois Bull. Be sure any suppliments you present for Cattle consumption, such as Protien Tubs are "Natural Protien" and stay clear of products containing "Urea". Anythig you put out the Horses will also eat. I would recommend supplimental feeding of your Horses when you are there. I feed equal Parts of Crimped Oats, 12% Protien Pellets, 12% Horse and Mule "Sweet Feed". Usually about 1 1/2 lb. per serving with a maximum of 2 servings per day, I feed approx 7 servings per week. I also have feeding stations for the Horses as they eat from a bucket while Haltered with the Lead Rope cliped to a Bracket fastened to a tree. This keeps them from fussing at each other at feeding time. I agree no halters while pastured.

Texas Ranch Man":3flrklbq said:
I agree no halters while pastured.

TCM, you brought up some great points. The reason I mentioned the halters is b/c last winter my prized Arabian filly that was scheduled to go to a trainer (to show), caught her halter on something and ripped it off. When I got home, the halter was on the ground and she had her head down. She tore the nerves under her chin, and could no longer control her lips, and at first could barely eat. She's almost 2 years old now, and her lips have finally healed. I spent a lot of time blaming myself for that one.

I tried something similar about 1 month ago. I went to a horse auction and bought a 4yr old registered paint horse for my little girl. The horse appeared to be very gentle and not crazy or nervous at all. The owner assured me he was as gentle as he could be. I took it to the pasture and let it loose. I rode it fine but when I got my kids on it, it threw them off so that was the end of riding for my kids.
Then, the week after, I put a rope arond it neck and tied it to a porch post on the house and gave it some sweet feed on a bucket. Then I took a bag or range cubes and walked away to the cows.
The darn horse went crazy and started pulling so hard that it took off with rope, post and all. The post came loose but not the rope.

I never caught the horse again. I went back the next day and couldn't find the horse. Looked everywhere and checked with the neighbors and nothing. Its been a week and a half and I still can't find the horse. I will be looking more closely in a heavily treed area of about 20 acres.

I didn't know anything about horses and the little I learned I wasn't thrilled with. If I find the horse, he will head back to the auction. I will stick to my cows from now on.

Thanks,
Andrew

Bob,
I would not worry about them two horses. As long as they have enough to eat and a constant water supply they will be fine. Two horses together keep each other occupied plumb fine, I would worry a little if it was only one horse.
The string of horses I dont ride often or are getting old get sent to the far corner of the place out of the way. I may only see them once a month or so. They never seem to have any problems.

I guess my question to you is how familiar are you with horses? You do know the cheapest part of owning one is when you buy it. Only handling them once a week or even less more than likely will leave you with nothing but some pasture ornaments as unless it's a real well trained horse it won't take it long to decide it no longer likes to be ridden unless your on it fairly often.

We have 3 hay burners here the wife and kids ride. They love them and I hate them all but am still the stable boy. We leave ours out 24/7 however they do have a barn to go in if they want but are usually only in there during the summer when it's real hot out.

Once we had a gelding that was king of the pasture and was also kept with the cattle. We ended up having to keep him pastured away from the cattle cause he would chase them off their hay during the winter, did not matter if he wanted to eat or not he would just run them off anytime he saw them eating.

If you do decide to get a couple of horses be sure and have a plan that can be acted upon right away if for some reason the cattle and horses don't get along.

I no longer allow the wife and kids horses in with the cattle.

J

FWIW- Keep in mind where the old term "horsing around" came from :D !

Okay. I think I'll pas on horses for now. We will probably build on the place in a few years. That might be a better time to get some. Many thanks to all for your input! RGR

bobrammer":teee4idd said:
Okay. I think I'll pas on horses for now. We will probably build on the place in a few years. That might be a better time to get some. Many thanks to all for your input! RGR
We've always had cattle and horses and kept them togther most of the time and never had any problems.

I will have to say if you do go with horses, and this applies to cows, dogs and just about anything else, the more expensive it is, the more likely it will get hurt or come down with something.

J does that law fall in the same category as "If you have livestock you'll have deadstock"

We run 9 horses with a 150 cows all winter we don't have any troubles.Wild horses live just fine on their own domestic are'nt any different a few years ago we left our horses out picking old grass in a large pasture all winter they ate snow for liquid and came home in the spring fat as tick's and we never fed them any hay or grains most horses in this country are overfed which is'nt good for them.Horses will survive better than cows and are'nt hard on fences as some here say a pretty ragged fence will hold horses as long as they have something to eat.

Latest posts