Need some help understanding hay test results (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I took samples from random hay bales last week and just got the test results back today. I could really use some help understanding the results.

IMG_2233_Hay_Test_Results_2010.jpg

This hay is mostly for pregnant beef heifers and cows over the winter and retained calves not going to grazing corn. It will also be available to the steers grazing corn prior to processing in April. This will be full ration with no additional supplement other than mineral. In Wisconsin.

The 15% protein number looks ok but I am really not experienced at looking at these tests to understand the rest of the numbers.

Especially the second to last number. Does that mean that 2% of body weight of this hay per day will provide sufficient nutrition for pregnant heifers and cows over the winter up through calving and to green up around May 1?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/suggestions on these numbers. Jim

If it's just grass hay "not bad". Note that the crude protein is stated on a 100% dry matter basis so on an as fed basis it would be just a tad less than 13%....the 2% figure you're looking at is the amount of "this hay" that they calculate the cattle can eat as a % of bodyweight. Simply a calculated figure but pretty good. It will work on just about anythign you want to feed it to. Much better than anything I have to feed.

Isomade":2g3yltyb said:
What kind of hay is that SR? Looks good better than anything I have as well.

This is a mixed hay. Grass with some legumes/alfalfa mixed in. My hay supplier puts up a lot of dairy quality (=expensive) hay. I take his lesser quality hay from fields that I suspect he will reseed in the near future.

The past two summers in our area of Wisconsin have been wet enough to make a hay guy pull his hair out. Some hay got over prime by the time it could be cut. This test is mostly second crop hay.

With the dry stretch in the past month or so some of the best hay of the year is now being baled. Finally.

I suspect this hay looks pretty good to most beef producers and pretty mediocre to most dairy or show cattle people.

I have a somewhat unusual system in that I graze standing corn for the steers being finished for harvest in late April. They will also have this hay available to them and with a good mineral tub and lots of good water should be well fed up to harvest.

My concern is about the pregnant cows and heifers along with the retained heifer calves. I am thinking I may just let the cows and heifer calves into the corn stalks BEHIND the steers. This way they won't get too much grain but will likely get enough pickings/husks/leaves to supplement the above hay.

Just thinking. Thanks for the responses. Jim

SRBeef":3il2e9y4 said:
Isomade":3il2e9y4 said:
This way they won't get too much grain but will likely get enough pickings/husks/leaves to supplement the above hay.

The way that test looks I wouldn't be worried about supplementing. That is very good quality hay when it comes to feeding dry beef cows.

novaman":38onvvyg said:
SRBeef":38onvvyg said:
Isomade":38onvvyg said:
This way they won't get too much grain but will likely get enough pickings/husks/leaves to supplement the above hay.

The way that test looks I wouldn't be worried about supplementing. That is very good quality hay when it comes to feeding dry beef cows.

Thank you. Jim

I bought 2 cuttings of mixed alfalfa hay. First cutting was late but put up without rain. About 10% protein and 83% RFV. Second cutting was late but still got rained on. About 14% protein and 85% RFV. Still great hay for beef cows but they do not fight over it.

novaman":kd5f9cbb said:
whitewing":kd5f9cbb said:
15%+ protein? :shock: I'd be cutting backflips for that kind of number on hay.
Why? 15% isn't anything unusual for an alfalfa mix hay.

Because 15% is hard to achieve down here with what you can actually for haying purposes. And having said that, I didn't read the "alfalfa mix" part, I thought he was describing grass only.

Latest posts