Need some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Braunviehboy

Reaction score
I mite be going to my first show in may. I have do not have any clippers or chute to clip in. The calf I would take will not let you wash her except if you rinse her with a squirt bottle. She still can get jumpy if something is running or going beside her. What advice would y'all give in this situation?

You might keep a radio going near her and try running stuff at a little distance and gradually work the 'noise' closer. Might try a plant watering attachment that sprays more like a shower head. Too much trouble for me, I'd just forget it and keep her at home.

Though I have never used it, you can drive to Tposts several feet from a fence to simulate a chute and then try to wash, blow dry or whatever. Of course, if she is pretty jumpy there might be chance of injury.

tie the calf to a fence, and take a water hose, and rinse her feet, and just slowly start to work your way up, and then blow dry her in a dry spot, while tied to the fence. DO NOT use t-post to simulate a chute, imgine your calf jumping up, and onto one of the t-posts and then you have a calf with a t-post in her.

Braunviehboy":1e1m745q said:
I mite be going to my first show in may. I have do not have any clippers or chute to clip in. The calf I would take will not let you wash her except if you rinse her with a squirt bottle. She still can get jumpy if something is running or going beside her. What advice would y'all give in this situation?

How old is she? How long have you been working with her?

We used to be in the same boat. We didn't have much when we started and all I can say is don't give up!! Tie her to the corral and use the blower on her at a distance and slowly start getting closer over time. Believe it or not some of our most jumpy hard to work with cattle have shown the best!! We think its because once they get to a strange place they just kind of cuddle up to ya , they know youve never hurt them or done them wrong . Yes we've been drug out of the ring but who hasn't. As far as using clippers or a shoot , once you get to your show there will always be someone who will let you use their equipment.

Jovid":8ml86w38 said:
Braunviehboy":8ml86w38 said:

You answered a question with a question.

Snider_Angus":3a1ubu36 said:
Jovid":3a1ubu36 said:
Braunviehboy":3a1ubu36 said:

You answered a question with a question.

I needed more info before I could give advice. Now that I have the info I can give my advice and that would be to leave her at home. A year old heifer that has been worked with for 5 months and still acts flighty is a wreck waiting to happen. Little Rock is not a good place to take her for the first time.

I completely agree with Jovoid. If you can't get a calf gentle in 4 weeks, it's either you have no idea what you're doing, or the calf is not worth the effort.

If you have worked with her since she was 5 months old and she is tame, halter broke, and broke to lead she should be fine.
As far as washing her, I think she may have you trained. She knows if she acts up you will stop whatever you are doing. Tie her to a strong fence and put two gates or corral panels on each side of her. The first time, maybe just feed her there, and brush her. After a few days, try wetting her feet. Then slowly move up her body, with the nozzle on shower spray, not jet. Do not even attempt to wet her head until after she is comfortable with you wetting her body. After a few days, slowly wet her head. Again, she won't like it, but you can train her to put up with it.
Again, I only suggest the above if she is tame, halter broke, and broke to lead. If that hasn't been accomplished yet, don't waste your time even trying to wet her. Leave her home.
I will tell you, it's no fun being at a show with a crazy animal. It just causes you more stress than what's its worth. There are enough "stressers" at shows for a normal animal. At our recent show, we had kids on scooters, kids playing football in between the barns, etc. Although both activities are inappropriate in a show barn, it happens, and you've got to deal with it.
Best of luck!

The t-post are not necessarily a bad idea. You can drive the t-posts into the ground and then put pvc pipe over them. It does work! The pvc pipe is slick and keeps them from getting hurt.

Befor I go to Little Rock with her I just got info on a show in Rison, Ar that I plan to go to. I wont to see how she acts at the show and see if they like her. I tryed to post a pic of her but my pics are to big.

Latest posts