Need To Clip Him?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
DD got her 2016 4-H steer. He is eating his feed really well and putting on some nice weight. Noticed today he was breathing heavier like he was getting over heated. He is getting Purines Fitters Edge, Power Fuel and Heavy Weight. The Heavy Weight is 2oz, Power Fuel is 4oz, and the Fitters Edge is 15-20#. Also has free choice mineral and salt block with grass hay for the night. Also getting taken for walks.

This steer has really long hair! Should we clip it down so he is not so hot or is the feed too hot?

Will try to get a picture of him soon.

Can you put a fan on him?.. I know nothin' about showing.. but if you want to keep him 'fluffy', perhaps that would help him

I don't know what your temps are, but I would not think that the weather is causing him to over heat. Nesi is right, they often put fans on them to "grow hair". Clipping him now would not be a good idea.
As for the feed, I do not use any of those products in my show cattle so I can not give an opinion on them. But you certainly do not want to make him acidotic. I am assuming that all that feed is common practice in the show steers? I would ask others that are feeding this way within your group if the feed can cause him to over heat. I would think that it could.

Nesi the only place with power and a stall is the calving barn. Getting ready to calve so there is that problem. After calving there will be no problem.

Brangus there are people out there feeding a hotter mix then ours. Tempeture's are swinging like crazy around here. Had really cold temps that took him down starting before Christmas and now we have warmer temps climbing almost to the 60's.

[Re: Sometimes it must suck to be a cow
Postby djinwa » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 am

This point is hard for people to appreciate, since we're not cows. But cows have fermentation going on in their rumen that produces a lot of heat - like a steaming compost pile. So assuming she is fed well, the cow pictured is likely more comfortable than she would be on a summer day.
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

Here's one article which discusses using cows to heat the house.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homestea ... dzgoe.aspx
It wasn't long before the inventive engineer realized that, since a single cow gives off 3,500-4,000 BTU an hour, a mere 15 milkers could provide sufficient excess warmth to heat a standard 2,000-square-foot home. Ramlow then devised a prototype Cowpower system . . . but he tested the unit for a year before he was satisfied enough to put it on the market.

Good info posted from the other thread about heat production from the rumen............

When is your show/target date? His ration isn't extreme, should not be causing the issue. We have fed fitters edge for a long time and never had issues. I could be he is just plain hot. Depending on when your show is, you may be able to get away with slicking him out. Clip with the hair (downward) from the top line and use new blades (clipper lines stink). Clip down sides until you reach his belly line (Where the clipper naturally falls away from the body when you hold it perpendicular to the ground. Only clip shoulders and hip down to this same line. Do not clip tail head. Leave plenty of hair in this area, like a nice sized wedge pointing to his ears. Legs, belly and tail head are super important areas for fitting and some of the hardest to grow hair back on. Keep his head and neck all the way down under his brisket slicked off short to reduce heat. We have slicked some off this time of year before for state fair in August. They didn't do great at the spring shows just for a lack of hair, but they had a killer coat by state. Just remember to work with that short coat judiciously as it comes back, and he should have an awesome coat. Also, there are plenty of supplements out there to lower body temp if you are willing to spend the green. :cboy: Good Luck.

Thanks Brangus and Boot Jack! The show is in August. DD said he was not panting or breathing heavy today but today was cooler.

Is there any chance you could run extension cords from the house or something to a fan until the calving barn is open? I know our show feed has kelp in it, which is supposed to reduce body temperature. Boot Jack had some good tips on areas to clip, but I'm not sure I would personally slick at this point.

Latest posts