Need informations on fake switch for my cow

Help Support CattleToday:

French Anne

Reaction score
Hi! First, excuse me if I make some mistakes because I'm French.. :oops:

One of my show heifers has lost half of her tail (not just the switch, the bone of the tail is peeled by 10 centimeters :cry: ). It happened because of the rotary brush...
I have a show next month, and I could not imagine to present her without her tail... I know that fake switches are allowed, so I would like to have more informations about it because I have never used it..
First, must I attach it to the switch? Or can I just attach to the high part of the tail? (there is enough length to use a fake switch.)

I would like to know what is the best brand for the fake switch? I found a Sullivans and a nasco, what is the best?

Thank you for your answers.

:help:

I think that I would call Sullivans or Nasco and ask them. I have never seen any in use. It would depend on what class you are showing in if it would even make a difference whether she has a tail switch or not. When I show Brangus in the open division, they are not judged on their tail switch..........I actually cut them off at hock level to give them a more youthful appearance. :)

Hi, thank you for your answer. :)

I think I won't call Nasco or Sullivans because I don't speek english fluently, so it may be difficult to communicate...

I sent a message to a French seller of Nasco products but I don't have any answer yet..

Cows are not necessarily judged on their switches, but my heifer is so ugly without her tail. And the bone is apparent..
I just want to replace her switch to give her a more beautiful global look.. (I'm not sure my english is clear.. :lol: )

if someone has ever used a false tail, I need your advices...
thank's

Thank you! :)

Haha, maybe you have a good French level, try and I'll tell you! :lol2:

TennesseeTuxedo":3eqibj10 said:
Your English is certainly better than our French. Wish I had an answer for you.

:welcome:
Your English is better than many Americans' English.

Tennessee tuxedo : your spanish is good :'D

You're right, i'm going to try e-mails

I don't know if I have the words and the skills to answer most questions in this forum. Nevertheless, I think French agriculture is very different from the US one. Then, it would be interesting to continue to exchange, at least about it..? :)
I'm sure that we can learn from each other!

French Anne":29vvv8w3 said:
I don't know if I have the words and the skills to answer most questions in this forum. Nevertheless, I think French agriculture is very different from the US one. Then, it would be interesting to continue to exchange, at least about it..? :)
I'm sure that we can learn from each other!

Learn how to post pictures here. We could learn a lot about how you do things by viewing your photos.

Email the folks at sullivan supply. They will have a good idea how to help you. They are the industry leader in livestock show products and equipment, and have really great people to speak with. And purchase a tail bag (sullivan's has them, but some people use a crown royal liqueur bag), so next time you roto legs you won't repeat the mistake.

Thank's JMJ Farms!

Yes I'm gonna send an email to sullivans. Thank's for the advice! ;)

Tennessee Tuxedo: I'm currently trying to upload a photo for my avatar! Be patient! :D

We have a Cow that we show as a Cow/Calf pair that has a short tail and I purchased one from Nasco. I believe Sullivans are now selling the same switch. It is made from horse hair and it works perfectly and is tied onto the part of the tail that is still there.
We use Tail Adhesive first on the tail that is left before it is attached.
You could also go to a locker that processes cattle and see if you can get a switch from them and tan it. We did that years ago and that worked pretty well.
Good luck

Latest posts