NAILE tips/advice

Help Support CattleToday:

shortybreeder

Reaction score
Coming up this week we will be heading down to NAILE for our first time, and we are taking a bull calf and a heifer calf. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for making our first visit a little less hectic and confusing? I've been to the expo center for FFA a couple years ago, though I'm not sure where the cattle will be placed.

Also, this is our first time hauling cattle any kind of distance (furthest my dad and I have personally hauled is 6 miles to the county fairgrounds). Due to medical reasons, my dad will have to stop and walk every 2 hours. Also we have about 12 hours of road time. So my question here is, should we be offering water every few hours? What about hay? Would you put the calves in the front half of the gooseneck, or the tack up front? I'm sure I'll have more questions, but let's leave it at this right now.
Thanks!

I do not know anything about the show so can't help you there. As far as hauling we hauled the calves in the front and the tack in the rear, easier to get the tack out and load without having to haul it all over the bedding. If you have a side gate to get them out in an emergency you should have no worries. If you have panels, mats, and bedding, it is easier to put that were you need before the calves go in, if loaded where you can get to it first. We did place the tack so it was easy to clear a lane for them if we had to unload from the rear in an emergency.
Water: I think if you offer water about 6 hours into the trip that is all they will need, if any. They tend to drink twice a day as it is, out in the field, so as long as they can drink freely prior to loading they should be fine. A little hay to chew on is a good idea, I see a lot of those hanging net jobs for horses used, keeps some of the hay out of the bedding.

They will tell you at the gate where to go but im pretty sure its the west wing/hall. If I get time I may drive down.
I would think watering them at 6 hours is fine but I would give them a little hay they can chew on as they ride along. Good luck in the show. What day do you show?

I'm showing Sunday morning in the Junior show at 8 am, and then Sunday afternoon in the ShorthornPlus Open show at 1 pm. From the map the sent us it looks like beef trailers are on the west side, so that seems logical!

Yes trailers are on the west side behind the building near the football stadium. Im pretty sure the Jr calves of all breeds are in the West Hall which is near the front of the same building. Again, they will guide you well once you get there.

If they have a specific spot for Jr heifers, will they put my bull with her? Or will I be running back and forth?

shortybreeder":3f6hshjk said:
If they have a specific spot for Jr heifers, will they put my bull with her? Or will I be running back and forth?
I think all Jr calves are allowed together no matter what they are. But ask to be sure.

I've never been to a horse or cattle show before. But I'm planning on attending the National Farm show there in February, weather permitting. Good luck and have fun.
And by the way the Ruth-Chris steakhouse is awesome in Louisville.

ram":1bnx8mqj said:
I've never been to a horse or cattle show before. But I'm planning on attending the National Farm show there in February, weather permitting. Good luck and have fun.
And by the way the Ruth-Chris steakhouse is awesome in Louisville.
I love going to the machinery show and have met several CT members there. Keep in tough and maybe you can show me how good the steaks are.

Latest posts