Need some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have somewhere you can pick up a bottle calf that's 300-500lb cheap they are usually very tame and might calm her down. Some just never get calm. Good luck with them

kenny thomas said:
If you have somewhere you can pick up a bottle calf that's 300-500lb cheap they are usually very tame and might calm her down. Some just never get calm. Good luck with them

But what about us only have 2 acres? We are currently working on getting another 20 acres fenced it but haven't quit made it that far yet

That's basically it right there. There is a small pond off to the right that you can't see and then the whole hillside there is able to graze and then also by the pond there is a timber line that is where they go during the day to get out of the heat

kenny thomas said:
Do you have extra grass now? If not then not much you can do with her. It's hard to deal with cow and calf on small acerage

What do you mean by extra grass?

Is the cow, calf, and donkey keeping it eaten down or is it growing faster than they are eating it?
My very first opinion is to give someone the donkey unless he is a kids pet.

KentuckySpud said:

That's basically it right there. There is a small pond off to the right that you can't see and then the whole hillside there is able to graze and then also by the pond there is a timber line that is where they go during the day to get out of the heat

Old strip mine?

kenny thomas said:
Is the cow, calf, and donkey keeping it eaten down or is it growing faster than they are eating it?
My very first opinion is to give someone the donkey unless he is a kids pet.

No. Doesn't even look like they are touching it at all.

KentuckySpud said:
I can't tell if you fellers are serious or blowing smoke. No one comes to the big EKY voluntarily.

It is not known for cattle. Better known for coal, hard times, hard crimes and hard liquor. It does have its uniqueness. I have traveled through every county - many times. I have been through every town from Ashland to Middlesboro. Lived in Hazard, Morehead and Salyersville. Worked out of Paintsville - Loretta Lynn country.

What county do you raise cattle in?

kenny thomas said:
KentuckySpud said:

Old strip mine?

You nailed it. What eky is best known for.

Some sentimental value with this piece here in the picture. Grandpa use to own that one acre lot that I'm standing on taking the picture. I broke my arm flipping a go-cart right where that cow is standing when I was 10. Now my uncle owns roughly 100 acres all the way to the top on each side of the hill and working on buying the other side of the mountain.

Bright Raven said:
KentuckySpud said:
I can't tell if you fellers are serious or blowing smoke. No one comes to the big EKY voluntarily.

It is not known for cattle. Better known for coal, hard times, hard crimes and hard liquor. It does have its uniqueness. I have traveled through every county - many times. I have been through every town from Ashland to Middlesboro. Lived in Hazard, Morehead and Salyersville. Worked out of Paintsville - Loretta Lynn country.

Floyd county. Actually, I am a Morehead state alum and now work in Paintsville and Prestonsburg. So we've ran the same parts it seems.

KentuckySpud said:
Bright Raven said:
KentuckySpud said:

Floyd county. Actually, I am a Morehead state alum and now work in Paintsville and Prestonsburg. So we've ran the same parts it seems.

I graduated in 1972 with a BS in biology/geology. I graduated 1974 with a Master of Science in biology, MS thesis in Herpetology. I was Regional Lab Director for surface mine spoils in Hazard. Worked for Tesoro Coal in Hazard as quality control, coal analysis and reclamation. I was only one county over from Floyd. Maggoffin.

Getting back to the cow being spooky. A calf is not much company for an adult cow. The idea to get a steer to feed out for beef, as company is sensible. Or get the bred angus. If you are working on getting another 20 acres fenced, then maybe put a roll of hay in there now, and then they will have the extra acreage when you get it fenced. If they don't eat much of the hay then she is not hungry. The "2" acre guide is just that. a guide. If there has been alot of rain, then you might get by with less. If the land is poor, it might be more weeds than grass and she isn't getting what she needs. The donkey could be a problem you aren't seeing. They can be very sneaky at being spiteful to a cow. But if not the problem, she probably just doesn't like being the only one in the herd.
Salt and/or mineral available? They will go looking if they are craving salt. Don't know anything about your area and the land so can't advise you on that. But think of this, a roll of hay and a buddy is a whole lot cheaper in the long run than chasing a cow that is loose, or trying to find one that gets out and takes off. Once they learn to go elsewhere, you might never keep her in.
The flighty attitude makes me think that she is just not happy by herself, and doesn't think the donkey is really part of the herd, even if it is not bothering her.

farmerjan said:
Getting back to the cow being spooky. A calf is not much company for an adult cow. The idea to get a steer to feed out for beef, as company is sensible. Or get the bred angus. If you are working on getting another 20 acres fenced, then maybe put a roll of hay in there now, and then they will have the extra acreage when you get it fenced. If they don't eat much of the hay then she is not hungry. The "2" acre guide is just that. a guide. If there has been alot of rain, then you might get by with less. If the land is poor, it might be more weeds than grass and she isn't getting what she needs. The donkey could be a problem you aren't seeing. They can be very sneaky at being spiteful to a cow. But if not the problem, she probably just doesn't like being the only one in the herd.
Salt and/or mineral available? They will go looking if they are craving salt. Don't know anything about your area and the land so can't advise you on that. But think of this, a roll of hay and a buddy is a whole lot cheaper in the long run than chasing a cow that is loose, or trying to find one that gets out and takes off. Once they learn to go elsewhere, you might never keep her in.
The flighty attitude makes me think that she is just not happy by herself, and doesn't think the donkey is really part of the herd, even if it is not bothering her.

Thank you. Will defitmely take this into account and think about getting her another animal for the herd.

KentuckySpud said:
Bright Raven said:
KentuckySpud said:

That is tough country to raise cattle. Those old mines don't always have the kind of forages that are productive. The cow has a calf on her and one in gestation. If you add more cows on 2.5 acres of reclaimed mine land, I suggest you watch her condition. She is already thin.

Do you have a handling facility? Worm her and spray her with permethrin to control flies and external parasites like ticks.