Need some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

KentuckySpud

Reaction score
Recently bought a Simangus 2 year 3 in 1 and put them on a 2.5 acre lot. It's just momma and the calf along with our donkey on the land. And here recently the momma has been real spooky acting. Told a buddy of mine this and he said the cow might not be given enough company by the calf and said I might want to put another cow on the land and keep her company. Is this a possibility of our cow being lonely or spooked without another grow cow like herself?

This may be a stupid question because I am completely new to cattle so sorry in advance!

ALACOWMAN said:
Donkey getting bored and chasing ,or biting her.. or just being a general pain in the butt...

I don't think it's the donkey doing that. The calf runs him off pretty easily.

Son of Butch said:
Your buddy is right. Cattle are herd animals, a cow and her calf isn't much of a herd.
If you can swing another 3 in 1 I'd do it.

A guy offered us 9 year old Black angus cow that is bred for $640. But my thing is we don't have enough pasture to support that many cows by the 2 acre rule that everyone talks about.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Where are you located Spud? I'll be up at our place in a week or so and I'll come by and take a look at your set up.

I highly doubt you'll be anywhere close to me. I'm deep, deep in eastern, ky. Lol

KentuckySpud said:
Son of Butch said:
Your buddy is right. Cattle are herd animals, a cow and her calf isn't much of a herd.
If you can swing another 3 in 1 I'd do it.

A guy offered us 9 year old Black angus cow that is bred for $640. But my thing is we don't have enough pasture to support that many cows by the 2 acre rule that everyone talks about.
In that case I'd look for 600 lb steer that you can turn into freezer beef next spring, as the
feed you supplement him will be turning into beef for your table.

KentuckySpud said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Where are you located Spud? I'll be up at our place in a week or so and I'll come by and take a look at your set up.

I highly doubt you'll be anywhere close to me. I'm deep, deep in eastern, ky. Lol
I'm just across the mountain from deep, deep, eastern Ky

kenny thomas said:
KentuckySpud said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:

I'm just across the mountain from deep, deep, eastern Ky

We could go together!

I can't tell if you fellers are serious or blowing smoke. No one comes to the big EKY voluntarily.

Latest posts