Need information...

Help Support CattleToday:

bebee

Reaction score
Going through divorce. 26 head of cattle (6 were calves) were taken to stockyards approx 30 miles away. Cost of transport: $1240. I'm being told by different people that this is outrageous for hauling this number of cattle. Opinions? I was supposed to be there but they were sold without me being informed of the sale.

Yes...Outrageous!!

At the "high" end of one-way haul of livestock, hay, whatever, the highest I have seen was $3.50 per one-way loaded mile. For short hauls, can add a minimum charge.

For $1250 one could buy a good used trailer, make several trips for not too much fuel, and still have the trailer that you could use again or sell. After all, don't need much quality of a trailer to make a 30 mile trip...

Running Arrow Bill":2ze469nz said:
Yes...Outrageous!!

At the "high" end of one-way haul of livestock, hay, whatever, the highest I have seen was $3.50 per one-way loaded mile. For short hauls, can add a minimum charge.

For $1250 one could buy a good used trailer, make several trips for not too much fuel, and still have the trailer that you could use again or sell. After all, don't need much quality of a trailer to make a 30 mile trip...

LOL!! I was figuring as much...guess my x hubby thinks he can pull a fast one on me. $1900 was the total of another haul. I was freaking out.

Thanks so much!

Recently sent 18 calves and 2 cows accross the state line, (about 55 miles) in a cattle trailer, and they charged me $95.00. Sounds like the ex is trying to shaft you.

Around here you could get them hauled on a gooseneck for $2 to $2.50 per mile (one way). For a 30 mile haul that would be $60-$75.

IMO-anything over $150 would be outrageous!!

A 20 mile haul to the sale around here is $3 a head. Of course, for that price, they take the rest of the animal, too.

It appears that "someone" had better be prepared to show an actual invoice... and show that actual payment was made in that amount and cleared the bank so that nothing hinky is afoot...

MikeC":1gmvo3j7 said:
Cost of transport: $1240.

I would have done it way cheaper than that!

Say.......around $1140.00? ;-)

LOL!

Thanks for all of the responses! It wouldn't be the first time x has tried to get one over on me during this process so I go over everything.

There's a local that hauls 120 miles to the sale barn and charges 10 bucks a head, or pair if the calves aren;t over 4-500 lbs

Had depositions (testimony) yesterday and wanted to update. When asked about the cattle hauling bill...one where 26 cattle were moved for over $1200...he claimed that he was getting a great deal by hiring a guy from work (his friend) to move the cattle...that the local stock yards quoted him a price 3 times as much. Went on to explain when asked by my attorney that these same people bought the cows back for him and they were now keeping the cattle on THEIR farm until they work out a deal. My attorney asked him what was the stockyards quote for hauling and x said $10 a head. At this point, I busted out laughing even though I knew that I shouldn't...couldn't help it. He made a rude comment about me laughing still not getting his mistake. What an idiot he is!!! Do the math!!! $10 x 26 = $260 My attorney then asked why in the world did he pay $46 a head if the stockyards quoted him at $10 a head? At this point, my x starts stammering, stuttering, and finally says that he needed a break. We quickly mentioned the other load for $33 a head because we figured that we got what we wanted out of him with the previous load's question.

On another note, last week x and I went to court because x wanted me to pay 1/2 of a feed bill from the summer. I went to the feed place and got an itemized copy of the bill including where the feed was taken. One of these places was a farm that he rents. He takes care of the cows for an elderly man and in return receives 1/2 the calf crop. My attorney argued that I shouldn't be responsible for that since those aren't our cows. X stated that those were partly our cows. Yesterday, however, when asked about MY interest in the cows on that farm, the cows suddenly didn't belong to him as he only takes care of them and MY interest in them ended when we separated. My attorney and I didn't say anything...just looked at each other...don't think my x even picked up on his mistake there. Hmmmm...so I'm supposed to help pay for feed for cows that I won't even see a profit on and have no interest in...lol...generous of me.

Thanks to all who answered me...it may be a while before there's a judgment in my case....you know how long divorce settlements can last but I'll let you know what the judge decides when I find out.

Good luck,,

Is sounds like you are a smart person and have it under control. :lol:

How much does he make off of his half of the calf crop? You may want to pay your half of the summer feed bill,,, then collecrt your half of the profit. :lol:

LOL...he's not willing to let me...apparently, according to him, our "contract" is from Feb-Feb so it ended right at the time of our separation. Otherwise it would definitely be worth it :) We got $16,000 last Feb. My part of the feed bill is around $1,000. My attorney mentioned yesterday that he may allow the payment of the feed bill and come back with something like that...x would have a fit. He's already having fits because he bought back the farm and the equipment at a higher rate than what we owed (and paid) and ALL of our money from the sale is in escrow because of the lack of settlement. His principle is sky high at the moment! Thanks again for all of the kind words and support!!!!

Sounds like it is very frustrating to you.. I wish you the best! Hopefully it can be resolved soon so you can get on with the rest of your life! It's so much harder when the attorneys insist on dragging things on for so long.

Sounds like your attorney is on top of things.

They've done it for years, there is a regular tractor trailer cattle truck comes from West Plains to Biehle for $250.00 and its probably 175 miles one way (thats a guesstimate). They make pick some up at Marble Hill to make a full load, but its cost is divided by the number of head and so all sellers pay equally.

That may go up due to increasing fuel prices but hasn't yet and although it goes by weight limit to how many he can haul, it will normally carry about 70 head max. Takes em longer to figure out where they are gonna put em (so his truck weight is equal) than it does to load em.

Latest posts