Need help with my shredder!

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I have a 6' Howse shredder a few years old. It's in near-new shape and cuts great. However, I must have gotten some wire around it or something, because the lower seal is blown. When I pour gear oil into it, it just runs right through.

No way I can fix this thing by myself. The local tractor dealerships say they could probably fix it, but it's hard to say what it would cost. Getting that blade carrier off is a b**** of a job that can take hours. I just don't have the tools or the muscle.

Meanwhile, it seems to work fine. I can pour some lube into it and get the gears wet, then go cut 10 acres with no problems. I'm scared it's going to fry, though, then I'll really be stuck.

Is there a "cheat" or something I can use? Maybe stuff the gearbox with mayonnaise or bananas, whatever it takes. A tip would be profoundly appreciated.

Ron M.

Evant, TX

Ruark":3nhtipyb said:
I have a 6' Howse shredder a few years old. It's in near-new shape and cuts great. However, I must have gotten some wire around it or something, because the lower seal is blown. When I pour gear oil into it, it just runs right through.

No way I can fix this thing by myself. The local tractor dealerships say they could probably fix it, but it's hard to say what it would cost. Getting that blade carrier off is a b**** of a job that can take hours. I just don't have the tools or the muscle.

Meanwhile, it seems to work fine. I can pour some lube into it and get the gears wet, then go cut 10 acres with no problems. I'm scared it's going to fry, though, then I'll really be stuck.

Is there a "cheat" or something I can use? Maybe stuff the gearbox with mayonnaise or bananas, whatever it takes. A tip would be profoundly appreciated.

Ron M.

Evant, TX

When you say blade carrier are you speaking of the stump jumper I call it... The saucer looking thing the blades attach too? If so on my 5 foot model I had the same thing where I needed to get it off. I unbolted the big bolt on the bottom then sprayed with pb blaster or that atf penetrating mixture and there was a hole in top of my model and I put a solid steel bar with a head on it and took a few whacks with a sledge hammer it slid off... When I put it back together I use a bunch of anti seize on it not sure if that will help haven't taken it off since that was about 5-6 years ago. I didn't change the seal I changed the stump jumper because it got messed up.

You might turn the shredder over. Remove the nut and spray with a good penetrating oil. Make two wood wedges to hammer on opposite sides and between the blade carrier and the under side of the shredder. If it does not come off then replace the nut but do not tighten take a big hammer and strike the nut. Carrier should come off. the seal can be removed with out taking the gear box apart. I drill a small drill and drill a hole in the seal. Screw a sheet metal screw into the seal and you should be able to pull it out.

A couple of years ago one of the secondary gear boxes came apart. Needed some gears/shims/bearings, etc. Turned out a replacement gearbox was cheaper then the parts to fix the old one.

Thanks for all the answers. I ran down to the Deere place and got some corn head grease. Packed the gearbox with 4 tubes of it. All is good.

Latest posts