Need help with Cattle prices in 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry, I cannot give specific details as this is a court case. (When it's over, you bet I'm going to tell everyone and anyone.) Yes, ladies and gents we are going to court over the death of a calf. It isn't mine, I have nothing to do with it, no control over protecting it, never seen it, touch it, smell it, didn't see the supposed corpse, nothing, nada, zilch.
I'm fighting their lies, as to why I needed the prices, so I can bring the report to court and show the judge these people are full of BS. As it is now, it's basically their, 'expert opinion,' against mine, who owns no cattle.
I have learned so much from research and there is a a lot more that goes into raising cattle than I ever knew. I respect the heck out of you guys. It's a ton of work and science that goes into raising cattle. Just getting them to get out of their mother and actually live past the first few days, is amazing. You have to be front and center 24hrs a day. Let alone to protect them from predators.
These hobby farmers, don't to this. I have seen dead calves left out for a few days, before they bury them, when they are supposedly having a massive predator problem. They don't even know the gestation period of a cow, let alone their calving season, ye they have more, 'clout,' than me, because they call themselves, 'experts.'
This whole thing is more than ridiculous. I would love to be able to bring a few prices in.
Thanks a whole bunch.

Here is a report from Tri-County Livestock @ New Summerfield, TX for April 22, 2017

April 22,2017

Number of Head: 1269
***Some plain cattle are below these figures.***

Steers Lo High Heifers Lo High
Under 300 lbs. 1.75 2.25 Under 300 lbs. 1.60 2.40
300 – 400 lbs. 1.65 2.20 300-400 lbs. 1.40 1.65
400 – 500 lbs. 1.55 1.78 400 – 500 lbs. 1.30 1.55
500 – 600 lbs. 1.50 1.70 500 – 600 lbs 1.20 1.50
600 – 700 lbs. 1.35 1.57 600 – 700 lbs. 1.15 1.35
700-800 lbs. 1.20 1.35 700-800 lbs. 1.00 1.40

No, not a lawyer. This is really happening to me. I can't trust my lawyer to do the leg work. Call me controlling, but I have never trusted a lawyer to do the leg work and no one should.

I have been given no information, other than it was a steer calf. The evidence I saw, it looks very small and isn't tagged.

Thank you Douglas. I can only guess the supposed calf was eventually going to be sold for slaughter, as these people didn't get specific. Can I assume the average price was 50.00lb? I don't know what I'm looking at here.

I am going to be asking all those questions about what kind of calf it was; Slaughter, feeder? I bet they don't know what that means.

Different question. When do you guys tag your calves? Do you have a regular vet? When you find a dead animal, can you with 100% certainty, tell what killed the animal? What do you do when you're having a known predator problem?

Thanks once again!!

Some times you know what killed it some times you don't! When your having a predator problem the best thing to do is kill the problem! (If it's a neighbors pet it's a good idea to try and work it out with them first but it's your responsibility to keep your animals safe so you do what you have to do)

CabinetMaker":7tjop1fp said:
No, not a lawyer. This is really happening to me. I can't trust my lawyer to do the leg work. Call me controlling, but I have never trusted a lawyer to do the leg work and no one should.

I have been given no information, other than it was a steer calf. The evidence I saw, it looks very small and isn't tagged.

Thank you Douglas. I can only guess the supposed calf was eventually going to be sold for slaughter, as these people didn't get specific. Can I assume the average price was 50.00lb? I don't know what I'm looking at here.

I am going to be asking all those questions about what kind of calf it was; Slaughter, feeder? I bet they don't know what that means.

Different question. When do you guys tag your calves? Do you have a regular vet? When you find a dead animal, can you with 100% certainty, tell what killed the animal? What do you do when you're having a known predator problem?

Thanks once again!!

Those prices posted by Douglas are the price per 100 pounds. $200 per hundred is $2.00 per pound. $50.00 per pound ... we all wish. Most calves are tagged at birth or within less than 24 hours. After that they get difficult to catch. The only way with 100% certainty to tell what animal killed a calf would be to see it actually happen. The fact is lots of calves die of causes other than a predator and then a predator eats off the dead calf. This happens a lot with coyotes and vultures. If I have a known predator problem I do all I can to eliminate the predator. Sometimes openly, other times shoot, shovel, and shut-up applies.

https://marketnews.usda.gov/mnp/ls-report-config

This is the link to the USDA site. It isn't the easiest to use. There weren't any reported sales in Florida. Most of the 200-250lb calves traded $150-$200cwt range. If you want to run the report select Cattle,feeder & replacement, weighted avg, str, medium and large framed, 1 2 muscle score, date range. I used the entire month.

CabinetMaker":36khsf5h said:
Sorry, I cannot give specific details as this is a court case. (When it's over, you bet I'm going to tell everyone and anyone.) Yes, ladies and gents we are going to court over the death of a calf. It isn't mine, I have nothing to do with it, no control over protecting it, never seen it, touch it, smell it, didn't see the supposed corpse, nothing, nada, zilch.
I'm fighting their lies, as to why I needed the prices, so I can bring the report to court and show the judge these people are full of BS. As it is now, it's basically their, 'expert opinion,' against mine, who owns no cattle.
I have learned so much from research and there is a a lot more that goes into raising cattle than I ever knew. I respect the heck out of you guys. It's a ton of work and science that goes into raising cattle. Just getting them to get out of their mother and actually live past the first few days, is amazing. You have to be front and center 24hrs a day. Let alone to protect them from predators.
These hobby farmers, don't to this. I have seen dead calves left out for a few days, before they bury them, when they are supposedly having a massive predator problem. They don't even know the gestation period of a cow, let alone their calving season, ye they have more, 'clout,' than me, because they call themselves, 'experts.'
This whole thing is more than ridiculous. I would love to be able to bring a few prices in.
Thanks a whole bunch.

CabinetMaker":36khsf5h said:

Thanks once again!!

Ok after reading it again I now see they think your dog killed the calf. I'm slow sometimes. Dogs kill more livestock than people think. Most think that coyotes do it when it is usually a dog. so you might get out of it if its a chi waa waa or a wiener dog but if its a large breed and has any look of a bulldog you are SOL. My 2 cent advice is you offer 750.00 which is a nice round number that a decent weaning calf would bring and your troubles go away until the next time. If it were by my house it would eye for an eye If I knew the dog killed it.

I can see how you think it was my dog...if I owned a dog, which I don't.
Like I said, I have never seen the calf, or had anything personally, to do with it dying. They could have brought it from another farm, or taken the picture at another farm, for all I know. It's completely he said, she said case.
If it was killed on their watch, on their property, it's pure negligence on their part. They are not professional ranchers.

CabinetMaker":3f4sz0nf said:
I can see how you think it was my dog...if I owned a dog, which I don't.
Like I said, I have never seen the calf, or had anything personally, to do with it dying. They could have brought it from another farm, or taken the picture at another farm, for all I know. It's completely he said, she said case.
If it was killed on their watch, on their property, it's pure negligence on their part. They are not professional ranchers.

Ok then I think I speak for the rest of us when I say , How is this any concern of yours? I know you say you have a court case. without specifics you could give us something Hypothetical or "asking for a friend"

CabinetMaker":3g5946ox said:

This is a ridiculous statement. There are a ton of folks who raise beef but aren't "professional's" and are extremely qualified. Secondly, just because something kills a calf on "their watch" doesn't mean they're negligent.

I don't mean to offend anyone. Please, don't take anything I say personally.
Not from the Ocala area.

Latest posts